Anyone regret purchasing their Forester a little bit? - Page 2 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

121Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 231 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 01:01 AM

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester Active 2.0X
Transmission: MT 2x5 - MT with Dual Range reduction
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Regretting the purchase of my previous SG 2007 or my current SH 2010, both ones with N/A 2.0 engine, 5speed manual transmission and Dual Range Reduction?

No... not at all... absolutely not... not on any account... not by any means... never... never ever...

But if my next AWD car will be again a Forester?
This is obviously to the six stars within the Subaru logo - every new Forester is nowadays without Dual Range reduction.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 231 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 03:59 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: VW Golf Sportwagon
Transmission: DSG
Love my forester, i don't regret it. But I'd love to have a nice sports car on the side, but staying true to subaru when the time comes it will be a Brzzzzzz :).

post #18 of 231 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 06:13 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester XS
Transmission: A/T
Nope. Originally I was looking at 00-04 OB wagons, most specifically (if I could find one) a limited or LL Bean in timberline green. Timberline still ranks as my #1 favorite color in the Subaru lineup, followed very closely by WRB. The only reason I was looking at those was DH didn't really like the Foz and they were basically the same as the Baja we already had, only with an enclosed cargo area-I like the look of the 05-09 better but the whole ghost walking thing put me off.

Anyway, I found pics of Blue Fox's car and got DH turned around on the Foz idea. Test drove an 05 that was overpriced but gave us both enough of an idea that we would like them. Proceeded to search 2 months and look at countless rusted POS before seeing the CL listing for mine. Almost didn't call, since we had just driven out to the same area for yet another POS, but DH called-and the next day it was mine :)

It's the perfect size, I've sat in (not driven) the newest body style and find they are too big and mini-vanesqe feeling inside for me. Probably an unfair assessment, but it's just what they feel like to me. It's got good off the line pickup for an 11 year old NA car (I don't need serious g-forces), handles quite well and is comfortable-I LOVE the all weather package (something the Baja doesn't have).

To be fair, in it's current stock state, despite the aggressive (IMO) look of the 03-05 front, it is rather vanilla-especially in gray (very light silvery gray). It looks like a typical grocery getter grandma car, like the white OB wagons. I'm working on a light bar that I'll be adding Hella 500s to, a roof basket, different rims (and a REALLY good clay/polish/wax) that will make it a little more off road Foz than grandmas Forester. I pondered a "rally swoosh" in black on the side but after photoshopping it I'm not so sold. I like some black on a silver (gray) car just for the contrast. Maybe look at a few simple mods to help change the attitude of yours?

It sounds like you may have bought the wrong car for you though, looks can be worked with but general feel, not always. Sometimes on paper/in photos a car seems different than reality. I think you're on the right track-ride it out for a bit and then decide.

2005 Forester XS 2004 Forester XT 2006 Baja sport

post #19 of 231 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 06:29 AM
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: XT Touring
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
@sliksal02 im kinda thinking what some others have mentioned. as in maybe that particular one is the wrong forester for you. pre 2014 there was a different turbo motor, but still auto trans. pre 09 also had that different motor, but could be had in a manual trans. if youre not the type of person relying on a warranty for the next 50K+ miles...and dont really care about a new car actually being "new"...maybe look into stepping back generation or two. each era has a drastically different feel to it.

theres also the sizing feel with the SGs. theyll feel a little more wagon like, then CUV, imo.

things like the plastic interior, scratches, the rattles...are gonna be set in stone imo. many of us chalk them up in the loss category happily though because we love the other aspects so much. things like power, handling, versatility, etc.

for the regret thing. no...not at all for me. but for me my "new" subaru needed to be from the 09-13 era. just personal choice.
3 boxers likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Moore Performance
Import Image Racing
TurbotekTuning
Ground Control
post #20 of 231 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 06:42 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: SQ5
Transmission: ZF8
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes, two regrets. I had a 2014 6mt and the wife a 2014 xt. They weren't bad but, they weren't great either. The road noise, rattles, lack of power for the 6mt, worthless heat and the drivers seats. The 2009 seats were worlds better and so were the seats on MY02 impreza. Btoeh were sold and the depreciation was next to non existent!!!! I now drive a SQ5 and she drives a GLC.
dawgMobile and sliksal02 like this.
post #21 of 231 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 06:44 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliksal02 View Post
But I only took two short test drives and really underestimated how much I'd miss manual transmission and low-end torque.
I'm with you on the low end torque! The Foz seems so anemic, after driving my new Ram Hemi. Barely touch the throttle and roar away in a 5500lb beast! So much fun! Now you can't zip around town and park as easily in the big Ram but the raw power just makes you smile regularly and that's something missing with the Foz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeen View Post
I like the look of the 05-09 better but the whole ghost walking thing put me off.
We also own an 06 Outback and I think the whole ghost walking thing is over blown but then we're not hauling heavy loads in the rear end. If the struts aren't shot and the car is aligned properly, it's a tank in the snow and in all honesty is more predictable and goes better than the 09 Foz. The only time I've noticed any of the ghost walking sensation was when the back wheels were way out of alignment and that makes sense as they are trying to drive the car in a different direction as the front. Had the car aligned by a competent shop and all is well again.
sliksal02 likes this.

2009 Premium A/W
Spark Silver
post #22 of 231 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 06:56 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: FXT
Transmission: slush-box
Regrets?

Yes. I spend too much time and money modding my car ;)

This is one of the few cars I've had that I bought for what it COULD be, rather than for what is was on the dealer's lot. I agree with the OP's position on these cars being slow, bumpy, and with lots of interior rattles and plastic. I would also add that they wallow too much in corners, and the brake feel is too soft.

Some have pointed out that life is too short to drive a car you don't like, and have recommended replacement. A good point.

But, another option might be to fix the issues you don't like. If the car feels sluggish, I know that these Subaru turbo engines can have lots of horsepower teased from them, with a tune, and a few aftermarket parts. Tires can make a big difference in ride quality.

I've already addressed slow, wallowing, brakes, and ride quality on my SH. This summer I plan to do some soundproofing, with a speaker upgrade. If the plastics bothered me, an auto interior shop might help out, and I hear of people swapping out various interior parts from other Subarus to get the effect they want.

To the OP, I do hope you are able to get the car you want, either with purchase, or modification.

just my 2c,

Jeff
sliksal02 likes this.
post #23 of 231 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 07:09 AM
Even More STI
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Garage
I'll be honest, I regretted my purchase decision for a bit after a month or so of ownership. I traded in my 2015 WRX Limited for a 2015 FXT Touring, as I thought I wanted something with more room, and something a bit more comfortable in traffic. For the first month, I was in love, and then, I started to miss the WRX. I missed banging through the gears, missed the handling, missed the seats, missed the community waves. But like others said, I think deep down I swapped because I knew what the FXT could be, not what it was. Fast forward 9 months, and my FXT is lowered on coilovers with wide summer rubber, has STI front seats, and other touches to make it mine. And at this point, I wouldn't go back to the WRX. It took some time, but I'm in love with the car now. Perfect balance of handling, sportiness, and comfort.
sliksal02 likes this.
post #24 of 231 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 07:09 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 boxers View Post
I agree with the OP's position on these cars being slow, bumpy, and with lots of interior rattles and plastic. I would also add that they wallow too much in corners, and the brake feel is too soft.

I've already addressed slow, wallowing, brakes, and ride quality on my SH.
Just curious what you did about the soft brakes? That is my biggest complaint about our 09...Have tried different brands of pads and they just always suck!

2009 Premium A/W
Spark Silver
post #25 of 231 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 07:26 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester XS
Transmission: A/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastcast View Post
We also own an 06 Outback and I think the whole ghost walking thing is over blown but then we're not hauling heavy loads in the rear end. If the struts aren't shot and the car is aligned properly, it's a tank in the snow and in all honesty is more predictable and goes better than the 09 Foz. The only time I've noticed any of the ghost walking sensation was when the back wheels were way out of alignment and that makes sense as they are trying to drive the car in a different direction as the front. Had the car aligned by a competent shop and all is well again.
I do agree that it's probably not as common as it seems (give the number of them sold and still out there) and probably is overblown. We actually had it happen once in our 03 Baja (and only once between the 98K we put on that one and the 214K we've put on the 06) while on a drive from WNY to Erie PA in snowy weather on the highway. It was pretty unnerving, and upsetting (can't think of the right word i'd like to use) to see regular FWD cars zipping past while ours struggled to stay in a straight line. HOWEVER, knowing the 05-09 were more given to it than the 00-04, I decided to stay with the 00-04. In fact, the way the Baja handles poor weather conditions contributed heavily to my looking at the second gen OB's-I just couldn't find one that wasn't rotted in the wheel wells/dog legs/subframe (found the Foz first).

"Funny" enough, my Foz has a little float at speed (55mph). We've decided it's very likely a combo of tires and alignment, which will be looked after once the brakes are done (badly needed) and the Baja gets its head gasket and 105K service done (JUST started to see a waft of oil smoke so the leak is getting to that point). I can deal with it in this weather but I want it resolved before snow season comes, because I have a feeling it will be somewhat like what's reported with the ghost walking OB's and I'm not ok with that.

Overall though, I like the visibility and seat position better in the Foz than the Baja so I am probably happier with my car than I would have been with an OB anyway. I didn't get my green though so now my SN makes no sense lol.

Change_agent likes this.

2005 Forester XS 2004 Forester XT 2006 Baja sport
post #26 of 231 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 07:32 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: 2.5i Touring
Transmission: CVT
No regrets. 2nd Subie, 1st Forester. but, at this point in my life, I'm more accepting of little things that go bump in the night. And I love the ease of getting in and out and the overall visibility from inside.

As for AWD being overrated in CA, I love the way it handles in the rain (however infrequent that is).

BTW, I went from car to truck to SUV and back about 20 times as I was growing up, trying to find the "perfect" vehicle for me and my lifestyle. I'm far more settled now.
sliksal02 likes this.

Bill
“Of all the paths you take in life, make sure some of them are dirt.” – John Muir
post #27 of 231 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 07:52 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester Ltd.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes, miss a real (not necessarily M) transmission with better low end torque. Miss feeling connected to the machine in my SJ the way I did in my SH; In the SJ I feel like I'm talking to computers: throttle, steering, brakes, etc., everything feels like I'm giving it an input to a computer that will interpret what I want based on mine and a bunch of other inputs not controlling the car as an extension of my foot or hand.
sliksal02 likes this.

2014 forester ltd
prev: 2010 Foz Prem w/AWP
post #28 of 231 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 07:56 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: XT
Transmission: 4EAT
No regrets. Every year I do something to the car, maybe that's why.

Just a few weeks ago, I added sway bars, endlinks and springs. Feels like a different car. Last year I added DP, Cobb tune, and TBE (Q300). Same feeling, it was awesome.

Doing big changes at once made it feel like I'm getting a new car every year.

I do have a family, so the extra space is nice. And the clearance for snow driving is great. I do wish it was manual though.
post #29 of 231 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 08:19 AM
Subassador
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: FXT-P
I can kind of relate.

I bought the 14 FXT, and although I don't actually regret it at all, it was my first auto/CVT in over 15 years. I'll still argue that the FXT's CVT is about the best you can get, but I missed shifting gears. I also wanted to make it faster and grittier, but modifying a new car that I didn't own yet was a concern (still did lots of bolt-ons like skid plates, etc.).

So, I gave the extremely safe Forester to my wife, bought myself a Baja Turbo 5-speed, and made it my own with a lot of really fun upgrades. She's in the nicest/safest car she's ever owned, and I'm in the fastest/weirdest, so we're both content.

We use the Forester for a night out, or road trips; it's great for that. The Baja is for scaring friends, family members, Mustangs, A3's, etc, and I get to drive it every day.

I agree with several others above: Get what you want, even if that's not a Forester. Just make sure you do a lot of test driving this time!
Beluga, sliksal02 and Stptog like this.

17 Taco TRD OR 6MT(Mine) 16 XV(Hers)
14 FXT & 05 Baja XT 5MT w/ VF39+(Sold)

Last edited by Athens Turbaru; 03-30-2016 at 08:24 AM.
post #30 of 231 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 08:20 AM
EJH
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester XT
Sometimes you really want a MT, and it sounds like you do, so get a different car.

I'm over MTs after driving them for 20+ years. The XT drivetrain is very nice and I like the CVT transmission in the XT. I enjoy how when you accelerate it will rev the engine to 3000-4000 rpm and just stay there, even though the car is speeding up. There is no reving up, then feeling a shift to the next gear, then reving again typical of a normal auto transmission. The CVT/engine is very refined and quiet in this vehicle (compared to other Subarus, including my 2003 WRX). If you don't appreciate the drivetrain now, wait 10-20 years and you will :) I like that the car can be fast and fun, but looks like a normal SUV. I can drive my parents and others around without looking like a boy racer.

I drive in S mode most of the time, except highway/freeway cruising. There is little turbo or CVT lag in S mode :)

Not sure your age, but here's my similar story. I leased a top model Nissan Pathfinder in 2000, right out of college. It was a nice, elegent car, but I traded it in early for a WRX. I wanted more fun and a MT also. I did use the SUV capacity and 4x4 of the Pathfinder though unlike you and your FXT (I am outdoorsy and drive in mountains). The current FXT is my first jump back into an SUV after 15-ish years of driving mostly hatchbacks (which I love too). However, desires and needs change. I love my FXT more than probably any other vehicle I've owned, with the exception of maybe my first new car when I was young.

However, it is odd that your research would direct you to an AWD SUV when you don't seem to need to benefits of of either one (AWD or capacity).
XTDave likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > General Forum

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode