Anyone regret purchasing their Forester a little bit? - Page 15 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #211 of 257 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 06:05 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: cvtcrapulance
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have 4k on mine so far... don't regret it at all. Fits all of my photog gear easily and the kids love the extra space and sunroof. They kept saying my 02 wrx wagon was too small, now they keep saying they miss it since the fozzie is so damn quiet.

treeman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 257 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 02:21 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester
Garage
We've had our 2011 for a few months now and no regrets at all. We wanted a small safe and reliable SUV to get my wife up and down 10 miles and over 3000 feet of elevation for her daily drive in all types of weather conditions. We've taken it on a few day trips and just this last weekend we put just under 600 miles and that included hwy to a 12,000 foot mountain pass on gravel and dirt and even without having the turbo she powered up those switch backs as fast as I care to drive them. We averaged 25.6 mpg which I think was pretty good considering the whole weekend was spent above 6k feet, all of Saturday and most of Sunday was over 9k, so lots of climbing, but of course downhill driving also.

We haven't noticed any bad rattling that I see others mention, no oil consumption or other issues at this time (just hit 3500 miles since owning, 67k total). We didn't get it expecting anything from it that it doesn't have, like a great stereo system or interior but that is all cosmetic or things you can easily change. The passenger seat actually puts me to sleep almost anytime I'm in it, the drivers side could use a little something, not for sure what.

As long as it performs as well in the snow as everyone says it does then it's 100% the vehicle we both expected and wanted.

post #213 of 257 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 02:57 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Touring with Eyesigh
Transmission: CVT
Nope! It has just been a fantastic vehicle.

Laughter is the key to happiness

post #214 of 257 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 08:53 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Auto
A little bit? Absolutely

I came from a loaded Accord. Here's what I miss:
  • climate control
  • auto-roll down windows & sunroof
  • acceleration
  • nicer looking

Overall, I like more forester more. Here's why:
  • huge sunroof
  • AWD
  • cargo room
  • turning radius
  • fuel economy
  • entrace/exit height
  • more compact footprint
  • 8" clearance
IamAlan likes this.
post #215 of 257 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 09:42 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: FXT
the only thing i miss is the manual.

but i have a project car for that, so this is just my everywhere fun car that happens to haul my family.
post #216 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:50 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5X Limited
Transmission: AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHolyCannoli View Post
I'm so glad I came across this thread because I need to vent a bit as I'm considering selling the Forester.

I have to admit that I do have some regret. I was in a situation were my previous car needed a major repair and I had to make a quick decision if I would make the repair or get into a new car. On top of that, I had to make a quick decision on what vehicle to purchase. I do lots of driving throughout the day for my job, so I needed something fuel efficient and good in the snow. My wife and I were planning to start a family so I needed the rear cargo space. Finally, I wanted something that I could take off-road for camping/fishing/hunting trips. Well, 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

I made the purchase just about 3yrs ago and I would go in another direction for a few different reasons...

1) Power and fuel efficiency: Going from a V6 Maxima to a V4 Forester was a HUGE change. I thought I could justify losing the power to gain AWD and better fuel efficiency. Problem is that in my opinion, the Forester would need to get about 25+mpg in the city to make up for the lack of power. I'm getting between 17-19mpg AT BEST...about what I was getting with my Maxima that had headers and a cat-back exhaust. I've tried to drive this thing like my grandmother would have driven it, and still, even putting it into neutral going down hills, I'm not hitting 21mpg consistently. Overall, I think I allowed MPG's to sway me away from other options when in reality, there really isn't any significant difference between an advertised 21mpg small SUV vs a true 19mpg quad-cab truck.

2) Interior and dash: Some will disagree with me on this, but the more time I spend with the vehicle, the more I dislike the interior. The driver seat is just not comfortable to me; it places my right leg/knee at a weird angle to the gas pedal and the seat surface isn't deep enough. I'm 5'10 and my thighs hang off the front edge considerably. I fully understand this isn't meant to be a luxury car, but the plastics and vinyl look and feel cheap and outdated. Overall just very plain and bare bones. Obviously I knew this when making the purchase, but it has bothered me more and more over time.

3) Socially awkward: Again, this is completely subjective and maybe even shallow on my part, but I can't help but notice that 90% (no exaggeration) of the time I see another Forester, there is an elderly woman behind the wheel. The other 10% of the time is comprised of either an elderly man, middle aged woman, or high school aged boy. I can LITERALLY say that I've never seen another man in his early 30's drive past me in a Forester. I've also got some odd looks pulling up to pheasant and deer hunting land. Maybe I'm just self-conscious about it, but simply put, I guess I feel "funny" driving a Forester.

The vehicle is flat out amazing in the snow and has great cargo capacity considering it's a compact SUV, but I think I'd be happier with something else.
Quote:
And to add to my list...wind/road noise is borderline unacceptable. I have a hard time using the bluetooth for phone calls on the highway.
Quote:
Among the other things I mentioned, the radio is borderline embarrassing when driving with guests at highway speeds. I had an '06 Honda Accord with a basic 6 speaker system (4 + 2 tweeters)...it makes the Forester sound like I'm listening to music through my cell phone.
And yet one more thing to add to my list...I'm at about 60k miles and realized this engine is guzzling between 1-2qts of oil every 3,000 miles. Not fun doing almost a full oil change between each 7,500mile recommended interval.

Truthfully, this may be the last straw for me. The one thing that has kept me from getting into a truck has been losing AWD for everyday driving in poor weather. Fortunately, 4x4-Auto/Fulltime systems are becoming more popular.
post #217 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:18 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring 2.5
Transmission: Automatic
I absolutely love my 2017 Forester 2.5i Touring CVT. Just 3000 miles so far, but consider it the best car owned to date, at least for now!!
post #218 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:46 PM
Forum Member

Location: THe unmentionable part of a female whale,California
Car Model: FOrester 2.5i
Transmission: cvt
Quote:
guzzling between 1-2qts of oil every 3,000 miles. .
I wanted to get some hard #'s from the dealer:
They state that 10.7 oz per 1200 miles is excessive oil consumption/ qt in 3600 mi. Are you past 5 yr 50000 mi?
post #219 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:45 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5X Limited
Transmission: AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbille View Post
I wanted to get some hard #'s from the dealer:
They state that 10.7 oz per 1200 miles is excessive oil consumption/ qt in 3600 mi. Are you past 5 yr 50000 mi?
I'm out of the warranty period so I don't think service will be a cost-effective option for me.
post #220 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:26 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Premium
My previous SUV experience was with a 94 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2 door 5 speed 2wd, then a 98 Cherokee Sport 4 door 4wd and loaded.

This talk of wind noise? Y'all have no idea! Those Jeeps were aerodynamic like a brick and sealed up tight as a sieve.

WOCKA, WOCKA!!
post #221 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:10 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
I am still trying to picture this V4. I have seen some in motorcycles but never in a modern car. Yes, I am being a butt lol

Now to the image problem mentioned about hunting. I honestly could give 2 craps what someone else thinks. I hunt or should I say hunted in my VW Jetta and VW Passat TDI's. I laugh at how much those other hunters spend on their fancy, scared to scratch em, luxurious trucks and the gas they guzzle. I am really going to miss that Passat when VW buys it back next month. 43 mpg on my last hunting trip running 85 mph up the Mountains to Kentucky. Only drawback is the repair costs if something goes wrong..ouch. That kind of wipes out any mpg savings lol.

So far I love the Subaru Forester XT Touring with Eyesight. I thought the seats were horrible at first but they are not too terribly bad. The interior is not up to par but its not bad at all. I am seriously considering getting a XT Premium for myself as the wife has the XT Touring and I dont need all the fancy add ons the Touring has. I would like to have the display of the touring but thats about it. I would put a hitch on it and take it hunting. Ain't no shame in my game.
post #222 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:18 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscnoklahoma View Post
I am still trying to picture this V4. I have seen some in motorcycles but never in a modern car. Yes, I am being a butt lol

Now to the image problem mentioned about hunting. I honestly could give 2 craps what someone else thinks. I hunt or should I say hunted in my VW Jetta and VW Passat TDI's. I laugh at how much those other hunters spend on their fancy, scared to scratch em, luxurious trucks and the gas they guzzle. I am really going to miss that Passat when VW buys it back next month. 43 mpg on my last hunting trip running 85 mph up the Mountains to Kentucky. Only drawback is the repair costs if something goes wrong..ouch. That kind of wipes out any mpg savings lol.

So far I love the Subaru Forester XT Touring with Eyesight. I thought the seats were horrible at first but they are not too terribly bad. The interior is not up to par but its not bad at all. I am seriously considering getting a XT Premium for myself as the wife has the XT Touring and I dont need all the fancy add ons the Touring has. I would like to have the display of the touring but thats about it. I would put a hitch on it and take it hunting. Ain't no shame in my game.
I miss the driving experience of my TDI & GTIs too, but it is no coincidence that my mechanic went out of business shortly after I sold off my VW's. Like you I could care less what others think. (It is funny when my brother/nephew call it the "Hillarymobile") The utility, reliability, AWD and decent MPG make me happy every day, especially in the winter months. I get no crap at my sportsman's club either, just questions about ground clearance and the AWD performance.
uscnoklahoma likes this.
post #223 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:54 AM
Forum Member

Location: THe unmentionable part of a female whale,California
Car Model: FOrester 2.5i
Transmission: cvt
Weeeel, just a little... With 151 miles on the odo, I just spotted missing connections from rear fender liner to lower rear quarter panels.
NO plastic "rivets" installed.

Makes me think they robbed mudflaps off of it to add the option to another.

'17 Forester2.5i, CVT...6000 miles
post #224 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 04:16 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Premium
Quote:
Weeeel, just a little... With 151 miles on the odo, I just spotted missing connections from rear fender liner to lower rear quarter panels.

Get thee to the dealer! No excuse for that.

WOCKA, WOCKA!!
post #225 of 257 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 05:53 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Model: SBM FXT-T ES
Transmission: TR690GBYCA
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAlan View Post
Get thee to the dealer! No excuse for that.
The dealer will explain this:

Those holes are not there to hold the panels together, they're there for optional splash guards. They are there, unfilled if you do not have splash guards... on all '17 Foresters.
IamAlan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > General Forum

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode