Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2014-16 FXT Rear Sway Bar Swap

('14-'18) 
2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  luciferiad 
#1 ·
I know the 19 or 20" RSB swap out has been popular amongst recent FXT owners. I purchased the 20" and requested that the dealer install it because I am not handy. I bought the kit with the bushings, but when I dropped off my car the service department suggested that the links (screws/bolts?) would likely get stripped when backed out. Then dude made a call and quoted me $72 per OEM link. Smelled pretty fishy to me since most people on the forum who have done this have done it themselves with relative ease. Granted I am not skilled in this way, but I'm thinking I should just have a trusty local garage handle the install. Any thoughts about the notion that the links will likely get stripped and/or the exorbitant replacement cost?

#2 ·
The OEM link or any link are prone to seize when it get rusty. The allen hex are pretty common to get stripped and making it almost impossible to remove. They only way to get it off is to cut it off and making it not reusable. This is sometime unavoidable and dealer need to warn you about the possibility

The install is pretty simple and you could minimize the risk by soaking the end link bolt with good penetrant every day for a week prior to the job.

#5 ·
It's a brand new car. Everything will be fine, I'd just do it yourself. I made my girlfriend do the swap on her Impreza by herself, and even she was surprised at how easy it is. If she can do it, you can do it. Trust me.

#7 ·
If you're nerdy like me, I found a local guy that is awesome... not for the quality alone, but for the fact that he walked me through how it works. I'm a tactile learner so seeing and touching works far better than just explaining to me...

He only charged me 20 bucks to put it in... I felt like I got a free training course...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.