Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Random failures

24K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  Kyle PC 
#1 ·
EyeSight on '14 Forester started failing randomly while driving. Out of the blue it would show a message along the lines of "eyesight off, check manual", and disable for the remainder of the drive. It would reset back to normal after power-down.

This is particularly annoying because, when it happens, it takes "old-style" cruise control down too.

I previously had an "all warning lights turning on" issue that was also turning off EyeSight and was linked to the brake light switch, but this one is, I think, different because only eyesight lights are on (not ABS and not hill assist).

I've checked the obvious issues like dirt on the windshield / camera obstruction but didn't find anything.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there way to diagnose the problem without going to a Subaru service shop, or do I need specialized hardware to pull the error information out of the unit? I see a bunch of PDFs addressing (among other things) EyeSight diagnostics on techinfo.subaru.com, but they want $35 for access. Maybe someone has them checked out already?

#3 ·
This may seem like a strange question, but when you noticed that the display said "Check Manual", did you actually check the manual?

(If you did, you'd know that the problem wasn't dirt on the window or camera obstruction.)

According to the EyeSight manual, the particular message that was displayed indicates that "An EyeSight malfunction or position/angle misalignment of stereo cameras has occurred", and the recommended action is: "Inspection and adjustment is
necessary. Contact your SUBARU dealer."

#5 ·
Ha ha. I do know that it (usually) prints something different in case of dirt on the window. It was worth checking anyway. And the manual tells me nothing useful. I can see that I have "an EyeSight malfunction" even without checking the manual.

I am opposed to contacting dealers in the event of non-warranty malfunctions on general principle, they are almost as bad at overcharging as ERs. And my experience to date with Subaru dealers has been even more discouraging than normal. If I really have to go, at least I want to know what exactly they are going to do and why I can't do that myself. Hence my question.

Take it in to the dealer if you are still under warranty.
It's not. I have 40k miles on it, warranty is 3/36.

there is a recall out for some of the vehicles with eyesight. Call your local dealership and they can check your VIN and see if yours is one of them
The recall is for '15 and '16 models and it does not cover Foresters at all. Mine is '14.

#7 · (Edited)
I had something similar happen. My eyesight went out in a snow storm. It gave me the malfunction warning according to page 76 of the online pdf manual which told me to contact Subaru. I too assumed that it was just snow, ice and dirt built up on the windshield. So as soon as the storm was over I took it through the car wash and made sure that it was clean. That didn't clear the message so I contacted my dealer after several stops and starts of the engine hoping it would clear. It was out for an entire week when it suddenly started working again. The week that it was out was one of normal clear driving with nothing that could have built up on the wind shield. I just got back from the dealer and they told me the error codes pointed to fog, frost or snow. They were codes U0100, 0101, 0122, B28AD. They said in the paperwork "windshield needs to be completely clean for proper operation." Since it was clean for an entire week, I asked why it didn't clear the code itself once the windshield was clear. They just said it takes several cycles to clear. I said a whole week? Yep. That doesn't sound right to me. Any other thoughts?

#8 ·
For normal cases when EyeSight can't see through the windshield (due to fogging, or rain water, or snow, or dirt or whatever), EyeSight shuts down until it can see again, and then it turns back on. Perhaps it waits 30 seconds to turn back on, but that's it.

If yours was shutting down and waiting a week for codes to clear, there was something more serious going on.

I guess if things are working fine now, I wouldn't worry too much. But if it happens again, take it to a different dealer if that's at all possible.

#9 ·
Sure enough, it happened again. It went out again last night on a clear day and is not working again. I called the dealer to let them know. I have to wait for the turbo air intake duct to come in before I take it in for both. I've got a big road trip coming up and would hate to drive 1000 miles without cruise control. Even the normal cruise control doesn't work when eyesight malfunctions! Two recalls and the eyesight malfunctioning. At least I can steer the car unlike those with Outbacks and Legacys!

#11 ·
So my Eyesight started acting up at start up intermittently. Similar to what is being described above, but when starting the car and the system calibrates itself. If I shut off the car are restarted it, it would turn back on fine. Annoying but livable for a short while. Brought it to the dealer who never actually looked at it, just it sounds like a problem that would take some time to fix and I'd have to come back and drop it off for a few days (Frustration on that at the dealer is that I had made an appointment and it took them two hours of me waiting to tell me that.) Anyway, had a business trip and parked the car in the airport parking garage and since then Eyesight fails at start up.
The lack of cruise control and the Xmas tree of a dashboard I have are driving me nuts. Made another appointment for the day after Labor Day... more to come after that. I'll be sure to post their "findings" and "fix."

#13 ·
Just handed over the keys this morning. They did notice that the cameras do not have the lens covers on them or something. So hopefully some cleaning of the camera lens itself as well as these lens covers fix the issue. Of course I've already been warned that they don't have the parts in stock.

#14 ·
So I called up the dealer (hadn't hear back from them yet) and was advised they are replacing both cameras. Of course this isn't something the keep in stock, but luckily the distribution center is just down the road so I should have the SJ back tomorrow afternoon. Doesn't really tell me what is wrong, but my guess is they don't know either and they just figure chances are this will resolve the issue. TBD...

#15 ·
In just over 3 years of driving Eyesight has only switched off on two occasions, the first while driving directly toward the morning Sun, and recently a couple of times when driving during a moderate snowfall. In both instances it came back on within about 30 seconds of conditions improving.

#18 ·
So the Eyesight saga goes on...
Turns out swapping out the cameras isn't as easy as swapping out cameras, they also have to calibrate, at stock ride height of course. Heading to the dealership in a couple hours, but essentially they're not saying lowering was the problem, it's calibrating the new cameras at the lower ride height. Fix would be to raise it up to stock, calibrate, lower back down. But Subaru won't do that due to liability. Such a PITA...

#19 ·
More on the camera swap...

The issue comes up when they go to calibrate the Eyesight at the dealer. It has markers on very specific places on the wall relative to the distance away from the cameras as well as the ride height. (There are actually separate setups for each model equipped w/ Eyesight.) My first thought was just throw it on blocks that make up for the difference, but the problem is liability for Subie. If they calibrate it using a method outside of what is prescribed in the tech manual, and something goes wrong, they're on the hook.

At the end of the day, the issue is not with my ride height per se, it's a defective chip in the camera and they're only available as an entire assembly which needs to be replaced. That defect is covered under warranty, and it's the liability Subaru is on the hook for that is causing the ride height issue. (Not to mention, given my wife and kids are often in this vehicle as well, I'd rather it be done right than done fast.) The solution I'll be proposing is that I bring in my stock shocks and wheel/tire setup for them to slap on (at no cost to me), swap out for the calibration, and swap back out to my setup afterwards. I think that's fair.

#21 ·
Because without failure of the camera (which is just that and has nothing to do with my modifications) there would be no need for any work at all. Why would you think I should pay for the additional work when the failure is on Subaru?

#22 ·
Because the car is designed to be able to do certain repairs at a certain cost. Your modifications changed the cost of repairs.

If you welded the hood shut, should Subaru have to pay to deal with getting the hood open and then restored to its welded state just because the component being repaired had "nothing to do" with the hood?

When you modify your car, you assume all risk, including the financial risk.

#23 ·
I understand your point. Once I speak with the dealership I'll advise on their stance. I'm guessing it will mirror yours, but it is certainly worth asking. I think dealing with a few bolts is significantly different than the situation you describe, but some choose to use extremes to get a view across. I appreciate the interest in the Eyesight system failure though. Have you had any issues?

#24 ·
It's always worth asking. Some dealers will do things just based on good will. If they do it for free, more power to you.

Of course I used an extreme example to make the principle clear. The principle is the same whether the extra labor takes minutes or hours. There is still a cost to dealer, and there is no reason that the dealer should have to bear that cost (small or large) if the cost is due to owner modifications. Your question was "why did I think you should pay", and that's why. You seemed to express a view that indicated you were entitled to get something for nothing, and I didn't see why you would be entitled.

No, I haven't had any issues with EyeSight equipment failure, and we have both a '15 Forester and a '16 Legacy that have it.

#25 ·
I appreciate the viewpoint you offered. Whether I like to hear it or not (as much of a reality check as it may be) is debatable, but like you said, that's on me.
My bigger issue is really that i don't like very close to the dealership, so like you said the costs involved. If i swap it back to stock and drive up there camber will be terrible, and would need am alignment, and another one again when i slap the new suspension back on. Just added costs to me I'm trying to avoid if at all possible. I understand too the liability factor on Subaru's end to doing this process of calibrating the cameras correctly. My family travels in this, and the last thing I want is this calibration done improperly and something adverse happening.

#26 ·
Just to jump in with my anecdote, I bought a new 2017 Forester a couple weeks ago, driven less than 200 miles, and I received the "eyesight off, check manual" warning today while driving. Did a search and found this thread. I'll be calling the dealership tonight... what bad luck.

#29 ·
Thanks for the tips, the windshield was clean.

Just to follow up, I took the Forester in to the dealership today and they told me that others were having similar issues and there was a software update from Subaru out today (9/22) that was supposed to address the issue. They flashed the upgrade, MFI OBDII REPROGRAMMING according to the service description, and so far so good.

#31 ·
I have had not only my Eyesight turn off randomly, but also the ABS system,cruise control and traction control...all at the same time. I have a 2015 Forester. First time to dealer was told it gave a code for the evap system. They reset the system and was fine for a year. Second time was for a brake switch. Just had that replaced by same dealer. My concern is that in the future, whenever my vehicle has a code, rather than just a "check engine" light illuminating, all of my safety systems are being shut down. I did confirm with the dealer that the systems are shut down, not just the lights coming on. I thought I had a safe vehicle, having second thoughts now. Does this happen with the non Eyesight cars as well?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.