('14+) What fuel grade do YOU use in your 2014+ XT? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
View Poll Results: What grade of gasoline do you use?
87 octane 6 8.70%
89 octane 1 1.45%
91+ octane 62 89.86%
E85 0 0%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What fuel grade do YOU use in your 2014+ XT?

I put this in the FA20DIT to isolate just new XT owners and their habits. We all know what the manual and fuel door states, that is not what this poll is about. What grade of gasoline do you put in your XT?

FXTerrific likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 05:53 AM
Admin

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Almost exclusively 91 octane ethanol free. If I am in Texas where premium is 93 I will use that.

EJH likes this.

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 06:46 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.0XT Touring
I only run 93, it is very common around my house but sometimes tricky to find when I drive up into the Whites of NH to ski...I know stations scattered here and there up North where I can find it. Ethanol free is really not an option for me.
I once spent $50 to satisfy my own curiosity and add 5 gallons of 100 octane racing gas to about 2/3 of a tank of 93, didn't make an obvious difference and I didn't think to put my OBDII transponder on the car to see if I could see any changes using Torque.

A service advisor at a Subie dealer once told me to not come whining to them if I used something less than 93 octane and threw a CEL...I knew they were full of it, think they were trying to blame unrelated CEL problems with the early SJs on low octane.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:04 AM
EJH
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester XT
I'd use 93 if I could get it, but sadly the PNW is all 92, and then there is CA which is only 91. My car has never seen the suggested/recommended 93 octane :(

Ethanol free is really not an option for me either :(
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:04 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.0XT
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I can get either 92 or 93, if 93 is available I run that but Wawa's highest is 92

2014 2.0XT, finally entered the world of turbos
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:28 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Transmission: Manual
Garage
Yes, you're car will "learn" to run ok on regular gas, but it isn't a good idea. Your mpg will suffer as well as the longevity of your engine. Run whatever premium is in your area.

'08 XTi, AWD of Awesome
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:19 PM
Forum Member

Many say premium is best and it may produce the most horsepower but I have been happy with regular 87 with no problems. And according to the manual there is no warrantee problem, so what information is there that the engine life will be reduced?

I have not seen any discernable mpg loss either. There may be some but it is not much.

I am happy with the power so why not save some money. Unless someone has some proof?
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:21 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Garage
I run 93, but I'm strategic about where I buy it here in Chicago area. If I leave Crook County and get it at a Costco, I can save $1/gallon ...

Forester for life!
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 01:30 PM
Forum Member

Shell 93 is the way to go.
Ozark08 and Stillmotion like this.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 02:56 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: '15
Car Model: XT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBH View Post
Many say premium is best and it may produce the most horsepower but I have been happy with regular 87 with no problems. And according to the manual there is no warrantee problem, so what information is there that the engine life will be reduced?

I have not seen any discernable mpg loss either. There may be some but it is not much.

I am happy with the power so why not save some money. Unless someone has some proof?
There is more than one thread on here about that question. (About proof)

But even with "proof" the 87 prime say, well that's not proof. 3 tanks on the same drive of each told me I SAVE $5 a week running premium.

Do that in a car designed to run on 87? You won't really see a difference. Run a test in the winter, with we inter fuel, you will see less of a difference. Run a test on the freeway with a loaded car on a long trip in the summer, YOU WILL SEE A DIFFERANCE.

post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 04:10 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: XT Touring
depends on if you are 'tuning' your car or just running the stock as-is. I was told that 87 is okay for a gallon or two but since these are DIT engines, you are possibly doing long term things... yes, it may not impact your warranty... because the impacts happen after your warranty expired...

Run the car a few times hard... use 91+ all the time, 93 here in Lake County IL (just north of @scotten ).

If you aren't upgrading, you aren't trying.
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 04:50 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 14
93 only from Top Tier list gas stations. Most tuners suggest Shell 93 for its consistent quality, less knocking than other brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JumpingJackFlash likes this.
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 05:08 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: Mishimoto Cooled CVT
Garage
I'm in CA so my go to is Shell 91 V-Power. Our blend "may have" up to 10% Ethanol...

That being said if my powertrain was completely stock I may be tempted to run 87. :-/ (especially with gas prices soaring upwards here once again) You can run it at a loss of power and fuel economy and you may want to add some Techron every other fill up. As, here at least, the lowest octane fuel doesn't have the amount of "cleansing" additives as the 91 octane. It apparently doesn't take much in that department to be on the "Top Tier" list as Arco is! To be honest, and with complete disclosure, in the past five years, on my two previous Foresters that were NA EJ25 single cams, I ran Arco 87 with no adverse effects nor noticeable difference in power or fuel economy compared to the usual three "Top Tier" brands at the same octane. I did run a can of Seafoam through a tank of gas every oil change.

I loath those of you who have 93 readily available!!! just an Accessport Stock Stage 1 93 octane is a 10% boost over 91 in hp/tq and fuel economy!

post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 05:10 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Transmission: Manual
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBH View Post

You don't understand what knock, aka pre-detonation, is then. There are sensors that look for it and try to compensate for it, but they aren't perfect. Far from it. Do a legit mileage comparison (with ecu reset in between) and I guarantee you'll see the difference.
FXTerrific, EJH and Newtons4thLaw like this.

'08 XTi, AWD of Awesome
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:49 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: XT
I use 98 Ron which is the same (octane level) as the 93 AKI some of you guys get over there, even though the car can run on 95 RON or 91 AKI, ( minimum octane as per the oz manual) my car is a 2016 MY (same as your 2017 MY) Ozzie compliance rule's also state the that the minimum octane rating is what the car is tested on to get the HP rating which is around 240 hp.

Main reason why is when I use 95, the car has a surging problem when the outside temps get over 32 C which is normal over here in OZ for the most part of the year in QLD. I may run 95 in winter as I know it doesnt have the problem in the cooler months.

Bare in mind this car is EURO 6 compliant ( over here) and may differ from the state of tune you guys get over there, the earlier models here where from what I can gather where EURO 4 and EURO 5 “CORE” compliant, but from what I can gather the 4’s where changed to the 5 CORE tune to fix the pre ignition problem.

From what Ive read is that the EPA and the EURO commission work quite close together but for one reason or another the US models have tweek's to the tune to satisfy the EPA and CARB and/or to comply with your quality of fuel.

I’m now starting to suspect that the new US 2017 MY and on, may now have the same EURO 6 tune without any fiddling with from the EPA, but time will tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > FA20DIT - 2.0L Direct-Injection/Turbocharged (2014+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode