LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: XT
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Carbon buildup and cleaning on FA20DIT

Admin note: This is a split off discussion from the following thread: RECALL: select 14'-15' 2.0XT Foresters - ECM update for pre-ignition (Merged Thread)

Update to the update:

Service rep called about 3 or so, stated that the upper engine cleaning seems to have worked, the leakdown now is within spec. Subaru wants them to hold the car overnight and do another leakdown tomorrow when engine is cold to comfirm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 12:08 PM
Subassador
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Tacoma DCSB TRD OR
Transmission: 6MT!!!
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvang View Post
Update to the update:

Service rep called about 3 or so, stated that the upper engine cleaning seems to have worked, the leakdown now is within spec. Subaru wants them to hold the car overnight and do another leakdown tomorrow when engine is cold to comfirm.
Whoa.

I went back and read your old post. 50% leakdown cured by an "upper engine cleaning"? I don't buy it.

I'd ask more questions.

17 Taco TRD OR 6MT(Mine) 16 XV(Hers)
14 FXT & 05 Baja XT 5MT w/ VF39+(Sold)
post #3 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens Turbaru View Post
Whoa.

I went back and read your old post. 50% leakdown cured by an "upper engine cleaning"? I don't buy it.

I'd ask more questions.
You bet I will, I am very curious about the definite gas smell in the oil, coupled with the increase in oil level. I will have them smell the oil and see if they agree. I plan on testing the oil, assuming that I am satified with the answers I get.
At least I have a record of this issue, in case it crops up again.
DannyPTY likes this.

post #4 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 12:06 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: '15
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvang View Post
Update to the update:

Whoa.

I'd ask more questions.
Actually this is quite plausible.

Remember DI engines are highly prone to carbon deposits and issues with the vavles. A proper cleaning may be all that is required to pass the leak down.
post #5 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 08:35 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: F-XT
Exclamation Carbon buildup and cleaning on FA20DIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novablue View Post

Remember DI engines are highly prone to carbon deposits and issues with the vavles. A proper cleaning may be all that is required to pass the leak down.
just for my edification, why are DI engines more prone to carbon build up? i would have thought DI systems are more determinate and provide more efficient burns, hence the rationale for switching to DI?

thanks
post #6 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 10:07 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Model: 2.0 XT
Transmission: yes
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckboy View Post
just for my edification, why are DI engines more prone to carbon build up? i would have thought DI systems are more determinate and provide more efficient burns, hence the rationale for switching to DI?

thanks
With a port injected engine, fuel cleans the back of the intake values. In a DI engine, this no longer happens. That can lead to carbon build up on the back of the valves.
post #7 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 11:17 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Subaru
Quote:
Going 10k+ miles between oil changes on a turbo car, regardless of the quality of synthetic oil you use, sounds like a really bad idea.

Be careful.
I do check the oil levels regularly and send in a sample for a UOA with every change. So far so good. The FXT doesn't get abused, so I'm not concerned at all.

Carbon build-up on the other hand... I wish Toyota with share it's self cleaning D4-S tech with Subaru. IIRC the BRZ with it's Port + Direct injected tech from Toyota will not have carbon build up problems. I think the new Tacomas also have self cleaning injectors...
post #8 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 12:07 PM
Subassador
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Tacoma DCSB TRD OR
Transmission: 6MT!!!
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subyguy9 View Post
I do check the oil levels regularly and send in a sample for a UOA with every change. So far so good. The FXT doesn't get abused, so I'm not concerned at all.

Carbon build-up on the other hand... I wish Toyota with share it's self cleaning D4-S tech with Subaru. IIRC the BRZ with it's Port + Direct injected tech from Toyota will not have carbon build up problems. I think the new Tacomas also have self cleaning injectors...
Wow. Since you're getting a sample analyzed each time I can't argue with you. If you stay out of the turbo most of the time, avoiding the thermal shock imposed by it, I guess you can treat it almost like a NA and go 10k miles, but man, that scares me. Glad it works for you.

Do you perform some variation of an Italian Tuneup just prior to changing? It might at least help with carbon buildup.

17 Taco TRD OR 6MT(Mine) 16 XV(Hers)
14 FXT & 05 Baja XT 5MT w/ VF39+(Sold)
post #9 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 10:47 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckboy View Post
Quote:

thanks
This was posted on the site before but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2752551

For what it's worth, we don't know anything yet for sure. But with this recall and a few anecdotal reports of build up, it looks like regular cleanings may be needed.
It's too bad too because Subaru said they designed this system to not have carbon issues.

And as stated in another relpy, normally the fuel washes over the vavles in a more traditional engine. But with DI that doesn't happen and build up can occur. When that carbon finds its way in the cylinder it can cause you issues.

I'm kinda curious about all the DI's out there now. Kia, Toyota, Ford, all the major players are doing DI. But not ever DI engines has known issues. It's worth noting VW (and BMW?) and a few other early DI engines were well known for carbon issues. Some needed cleanings every 10k miles or less or they would not even run!
post #10 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 09:13 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Not really sure why they went against the dual injection setup that is in the BRZ/FRS....best of both worlds....

S#....it's what makes a Subaru....A SUBARU!
post #11 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 10:40 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
Not really sure why they went against the dual injection setup that is in the BRZ/FRS....best of both worlds....
Toyota owns the patent. I believe in the last year or so they have made it freely available to others however.
post #12 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 07:06 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: FXT
Revising the Subaru suggested maintenance schedule

Quote:
This was posted on the site before but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...

Walnut Blasting - 2015 Subaru WRX, 43k miles - NASIOC

For what it's worth, we don't know anything yet for sure. But with this recall and a few anecdotal reports of build up, it looks like regular cleanings may be needed.
It's too bad too because Subaru said they designed this system to not have carbon issues.

And as stated in another relpy, normally the fuel washes over the vavles in a more traditional engine. But with DI that doesn't happen and build up can occur. When that carbon finds its way in the cylinder it can cause you issues.

I'm kinda curious about all the DI's out there now. Kia, Toyota, Ford, all the major players are doing DI. But not ever DI engines has known issues. It's worth noting VW (and BMW?) and a few other early DI engines were well known for carbon issues. Some needed cleanings every 10k miles or less or they would not even run!
Novablue,

base on the picture of your Link and those 2 links:
FA20D Subaru Engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS8riAae_bM

I'd say the 60k miles maintenance should includes an Intake valves cleaning and a Leakdown test along the Sparkplugs replacement.
menega likes this.
post #13 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 11:26 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valstan View Post
Quote:

Walnut Blasting - 2015 Subaru WRX, 43k miles - NASIOC

Novablue,

base on the picture of your Link and those 2 links:
FA20D Subaru Engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS8riAae_bM

I'd say the 60k miles maintenance should includes an Intake valves cleaning and a Leakdown test along the Sparkplugs replacement.
I summary:

All DI motors will have carbon issues. No design to date has eliminated the problem. A few designs are doing things to minimize and reduce the problem but it's not eliminated...
Even the Toyota system was mentioned.

So now I'm looking at walnut blasters...

Looks like you can get set up really cheap. $100 at Harbor Frieght. And I'm designing a booth...
post #14 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 12:04 AM
Forum Member

@Novablue ....Can I be included....... we can call ourselves "associates in walnut blasting".....

S#....it's what makes a Subaru....A SUBARU!
post #15 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 03:51 AM
Forum Member

If your Subie ain't.... running good.... Who you gonna call??... Walnut Blasters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > FA20DIT - 2.0L Direct-Injection/Turbocharged (2014+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode