('14+) 2014 Forester Starting after rain [MERGED THREAD] - Page 9 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #121 of 771 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: 328i xDrive Wagon
Transmission: 8 spd Auto
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I expect mine to be dead in the parking lot when I leave work tonight.

Just checked, also a build date of 2/13.

Larry D
2014 BMW 328i xDrive Wagon
Until I Retire - then its back to Subaru

Last edited by lfdal; 07-09-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 771 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Admin

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
Was yours build 2/2013? Hopefully you didn't just curse it lol...
Indeed it was.

Guess I better go find some wood to knock on!

I am not too worried. If it happens, it happens.

2014 XT Touring
Ice Silver

My Fuelly
My Journal

post #123 of 771 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How do I find out when mine was built?
post #124 of 771 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
I appreciate the advice, I really do, however my girlfriend already settled with Subaru. It's an iron clad agreement, and she cannot pursue the lemon law. She can't even talk about what happened. I haven't read it myself, but she had a lawyer look it over before she signed it. At the time she thought the vehicle was fixed, and really wanted to move on (for both of our sanities). All I know is that Subaru was very generous, and judging by the number of people with the issue, they have to come up with a fix. Is there anyone on this forum with a 2014 XT that doesn't have the issue? Maybe every XT has the problem, but people haven't come forward yet. I think we just need to wait it out.
2014 Forester XT Touring built 1/13 and has always done everything perfectly.

While I've posted it's a good idea to let the gauges sweep before engaging the starter, I don't always remember to do that. Yet it still starts instantly.

It has excellent AC, great gas mileage, an incredibly smooth transmission, zero rattles or spurious noises of any kind, superior brakes, etc. The paint is the best I've ever seen on any Subaru, and perhaps on any production car. The handling amazes. This car's quality is obvious from every angle of observation and every action of its operation.

This machine looks great and operates flawlessly. I've been on it like stink, underneath, inside and out, and am definitely happy to have it in my garage.

His - 2014 FXT Touring
Hers - 2014 2.5i Premium
post #125 of 771 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
I don't have any issues except randomly the car struggles to start every once a blue moon. Like I drive the car 3-4 times a day. It doesnt start the first try maybe every 100 cranks?

mine was also made 1/13

Last edited by lcrazyaznl; 07-09-2013 at 02:11 PM.
post #126 of 771 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dove_jj View Post
How do I find out when mine was built?
driver door you see the vin number tag it says the date when the car was made.
post #127 of 771 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate View Post
2014 Forester XT Touring built 1/13 and has always done everything perfectly.

While I've posted it's a good idea to let the gauges sweep before engaging the starter, I don't always remember to do that. Yet it still starts instantly.

It has excellent AC, great gas mileage, an incredibly smooth transmission, zero rattles or spurious noises of any kind, superior brakes, etc. The paint is the best I've ever seen on any Subaru, and perhaps on any production car. The handling amazes. This car's quality is obvious from every angle of observation and every action of its operation.

This machine looks great and operates flawlessly. I've been on it like stink, underneath, inside and out, and am definitely happy to have it in my garage.
Do you want to trade cars?

Jamie

2014 FXT
2009 WRX - Cobb Stage II
post #128 of 771 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Do you want to trade cars?
Cars are machines. Systems. Parts. People tend to anthropomorphize them into beings and imbue them with a spirit, good or bad. It ain't so.

Look objectively at any vehicle with a "problem" and you'll often find two things, something simple... and some human making a mountain out of a molehill. I'm not talking the owner, but the so-called mechanics and technicians that are supposed to correct any glitches.

A 2014 Forester XT is a large complex collection of systems all tied together with a communications network that makes it all work harmoniously. It isn't magic. If there is something not performing the way it should it is only a matter of diagnostics to determine what is wrong and what is necessary to correct it. "It's in the book."

Narrow it down. Specify the issue. Demand resolution. Expect professional skills. If Subaru's representatives fail you, climb the chain of command until a competent ear listens. Accept nothing less than satisfaction.

His - 2014 FXT Touring
Hers - 2014 2.5i Premium
post #129 of 771 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Cars are machines. Systems. Parts. People tend to anthropomorphize them into beings and imbue them with a spirit, good or bad. It ain't so.

Look objectively at any vehicle with a "problem" and you'll often find two things, something simple... and some human making a mountain out of a molehill. I'm not talking the owner, but the so-called mechanics and technicians that are supposed to correct any glitches.

A 2014 Forester XT is a large complex collection of systems all tied together with a communications network that makes it all work harmoniously. It isn't magic. If there is something not performing the way it should it is only a matter of diagnostics to determine what is wrong and what is necessary to correct it. "It's in the book."

Narrow it down. Specify the issue. Demand resolution. Expect professional skills. If Subaru's representatives fail you, climb the chain of command until a competent ear listens. Accept nothing less than satisfaction.
Yep, I've been an I.T. guy for 14 years so I hear ya...It just sucks being the guinea pig, but I'm sure they will figure it out. And it probably will be something simple.

Jamie

2014 FXT
2009 WRX - Cobb Stage II
post #130 of 771 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Base Forester 2.5
Transmission: Auto (CVT)
Just reading these above posts from so many satisfied XT owners. That is great you are not having problems.

As we can see here jamie is having problems with his and a major problem. Hate to say this, but he did in reality get a lemon and it is a shame that his girfriend signed all those papers releasing Subaru from any Lemon Law suits.

Lets just say I hope Subaru comes through on their warranty and gets the vehicle fixed the way it should, but honestly I have my doubts.
post #131 of 771 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Gallery: 1
No problem! Even rain storm

-knock on the woods-

Yesterday Toronto has over 100 mm within 2 hours and even my car was parked outside, I manage to get it started on first shot.

post #132 of 771 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 01:23 AM
Forum Member

I had my worst hard start situation today. Turned the key waited for the fuel pump to prime then cranked it really long twice and it still didn't catch/fire up. On the third try after waiting a bit and pumping the gas pedal once (not sure if that helped or not) it started up quick, but rougher than normal. This all happened after sitting outside in 80 degreee weather all day, so I don't think moisture and or cold is contributing to this.

I've actually been on a lot of backcountry trips in a dirty, cold, and wet environments and it's always started up fine there, thank goodness! Still pretty worried it is eventually going to happen when I'm out there in the middle of nowhere and that it's going to be the one time when it doesn't ever start! Fingers crossed that won't happen and hoping for a positive fix from Subaru for this issue to end everybody's worries soon...

Seems weird to me that people think it's a valve issue though, since I haven't noticed any other side effects that I would think would come from that like a rough idle, bad MPG's or something else notable. I'm no mechanic, but sounds like whatever adjustment they did to the valves on Jamie's car didn't help either though. To me it almost just seems like a bad connection somewhere. I guess I should check my battery connections, since come to think of it I haven't done yet! lol
post #133 of 771 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBooneru View Post
I had my worst hard start situation today. Turned the key waited for the fuel pump to prime then cranked it really long twice and it still didn't catch/fire up. On the third try after waiting a bit and pumping the gas pedal once (not sure if that helped or not) it started up quick, but rougher than normal. This all happened after sitting outside in 80 degreee weather all day, so I don't think moisture and or cold is contributing to this.

I've actually been on a lot of backcountry trips in a dirty, cold, and wet environments and it's always started up fine there, thank goodness! Still pretty worried it is eventually going to happen when I'm out there in the middle of nowhere and that it's going to be the one time when it doesn't ever start! Fingers crossed that won't happen and hoping for a positive fix from Subaru for this issue to end everybody's worries soon...

Seems weird to me that people think it's a valve issue though, since I haven't noticed any other side effects that I would think would come from that like a rough idle, bad MPG's or something else notable. I'm no mechanic, but sounds like whatever adjustment they did to the valves on Jamie's car didn't help either though. To me it almost just seems like a bad connection somewhere. I guess I should check my battery connections, since come to think of it I haven't done yet! lol
Wet weather definitely has nothing to do with it, last friday when the problem reared its ugly head again the situation was this. It was in the 80's and dry, drove 80 miles to the coast, hiked for a few hours, drove back home, car sat for a few hours, and then it didn't start on the first try. And after the valves were adjusted we got MUCH better gas mileage. But obviously that didn't fix the issue, but seemed to help since it took over a month for it to happen again. In the past it would happen once or twice a week.

Now we have a dilemma, Subaru said they never recieved the paperwork my girlfriend signed...So now she's debating if she is going to take their "settlement" and keep the car or pursue a new one. I know this might sound crazy, but if it was my car I'd take the settlement. What if we get another one and it has the same issue? I've been a loyal Subaru owner for over 10 years, and I know they will find a fix. There is no way they can leave all of these cars out there with the issue. She's still thinking about it. Fun times!

Jamie

2014 FXT
2009 WRX - Cobb Stage II
post #134 of 771 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Wet weather definitely has nothing to do with it, last friday when the problem reared its ugly head again the situation was this. It was in the 80's and dry, drove 80 miles to the coast, hiked for a few hours, drove back home, car sat for a few hours, and then it didn't start on the first try. And after the valves were adjusted we got MUCH better gas mileage. But obviously that didn't fix the issue, but seemed to help since it took over a month for it to happen again. In the past it would happen once or twice a week.

Now we have a dilemma, Subaru said they never recieved the paperwork my girlfriend signed...So now she's debating if she is going to take their "settlement" and keep the car or pursue a new one. I know this might sound crazy, but if it was my car I'd take the settlement. What if we get another one and it has the same issue? I've been a loyal Subaru owner for over 10 years, and I know they will find a fix. There is no way they can leave all of these cars out there with the issue. She's still thinking about it. Fun times!
Have you tried, after the first indication that the car isn't going to start instantly, using the clear-flood mode?

On FI engines, holding the pedal to the floor is a flood-clear mode and shuts the injectors off during cranking. While I don't know for certain the FA20DIT's programming, it should be similar to all other motors in this regard.

To do this properly, put the pedal to the floor first then turn the key to start and crank a few seconds or so. Then turn the key off and remove your foot from the pedal. Then initiate start as usual.

Just a thought, something I'd do if it ever comes up.

His - 2014 FXT Touring
Hers - 2014 2.5i Premium
post #135 of 771 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Taking a Walkabout in the Outback

Car Model: XT
Quote:
Have you tried, after the first indication that the car isn't going to start instantly, using the clear-flood mode?

On FI engines, holding the pedal to the floor is a flood-clear mode and shuts the injectors off during cranking. While I don't know for certain the FA20DIT's programming, it should be similar to all other motors in this regard.

To do this properly, put the pedal to the floor first then turn the key to start and crank a few seconds or so. Then turn the key off and remove your foot from the pedal. Then initiate start as usual.

Just a thought, something I'd do if it ever comes up.
Thanks for the info Sir

I DID NOT KNOW THAT...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > FA20DIT - 2.0L Direct-Injection/Turbocharged (2014+)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.