2011+ FB25 discussion about oil consumption (split thread) - Page 38 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #556 of 574 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 09:41 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester 2.5 Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by superspeed View Post
I had the short block replaced. Attached is a picture of all the items on the work order. The car is getting less MPG. I asked if there is a break-in process needed when picking up the car, they said no. Also I checked the oil level, it went from full mark to 1/2 full mark after 1200 miles. I also asked if I should bring the car in for oil consumption test after 1200 miles when picking up the car from the dealer, they also said there is no need.

Winter has arrived, I'm going to go back to my old routine which is adding mobil 1 0w20 full synthetic every couple thousands miles so that oil level mark doesn't go to low mark.
That doesn't sound right. I had my short block replaced in Spring, it did get slightly worse mpg at first but after about 3-4K miles it's pretty much how it's supposed to be. New engine definitely needs to be broken-in. As far as I researched the excessive oil consumption in FB-25's is related to improperly seated piston rings (at least to some extent). I would go back to the dealer, and probably not the same one, and do the test again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #557 of 574 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 10:07 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester 2.5X
Transmission: Automatic
Thanks for the feedback, YouRock. I've been taking it very easy whenever I drive the Forester since I got my car back end of October. I haven't driven it much until late November because I have another vehicle for Late Spring, Summer, Early Fall driving. I'm hoping MPG will go back to what it used to be or maybe even better than before. When Spring 2017 comes, I will call the dealer and request for the oil consumption test. I have mine serviced at Morrie's Subaru in Minnetonka for the engine rebuild, and I have also used their Brooklyn Park location in the past for all services.

post #558 of 574 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 04:56 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester2.5i Limited
Transmission: CVT
Quote:
I had the short block replaced. Attached is a picture of all the items on the work order. The car is getting less MPG. I asked if there is a break-in process needed when picking up the car, they said no. Also I checked the oil level, it went from full mark to 1/2 full mark after 1200 miles. I also asked if I should bring the car in for oil consumption test after 1200 miles when picking up the car from the dealer, they also said there is no need.

Winter has arrived, I'm going to go back to my old routine which is adding mobil 1 0w20 full synthetic every couple thousands miles so that oil level mark doesn't go to low mark.
Who ever worked on your car doesn't know what they are talking about. There is a breaking process.

post #559 of 574 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 11:42 AM
Forum Member

Anyone else had their engine rebuilt and willing to share feedback plus including a list of items that was done on the vehicle?
post #560 of 574 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:24 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Subaru Forester 2.5X
Quote:
Anyone else had their engine rebuilt and willing to share feedback plus including a list of items that was done on the vehicle?

I had my short block replaced last November. It took about 3000 miles for my mpg go get back to normal. When the engine was first installed i was getting 12-15 mpg even on highway. After about 3000 or so miles the mpg got in the 20's and up to 24 mpg mixed driving.
I also used oil initially. About 1/2 or more quart in 1200 miles. Until i got 10,000 miles on it it finally slowed down. This might have gone quicker if they didn't run synthetic from the beginning. So yes there is a break in period for sure. The new cars on the lot don't seem to need it but the short blocks do.
I don't have the list of parts. Most of them are gaskets and sealant for the short block replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #561 of 574 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Forum Member

Just got back form the Subaru dealer a bit ago after my 3rd time in for the oil consumption test. Long story short, I was told that they would be ordering a short block replacement for my 2011 Forester 2.5 limited. Apparently, there is some algorithm they go through to determine what designates a replacement. No idea what it is. What I find, through all of this is that you do have to be persistent, note I said persistent not obnoxious about this process. In between the tests, I was told that I had a valve cover gasket leak, so replaced those and started the consumption process over. I'll have to see how painless this process is going to be as I have requested a loaner car while mine is n the shop and am now awaiting a delivery and service date. My usage rate exceeded a quart every 5K miles.
post #562 of 574 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 01:05 PM
New User

Car Model: Forester
My '12 Forester Oil Burner

Hi, new to the forum but just I'd share my story about Subaru. My wife and I were looking for a new car back in 2012 and we came upon the Forester which seemed like a nice, dependable car. We bought it form our local dealer here in Kelowna, Canada and it was anything but a pleasant buying experience so I decided not to go there for service, instead opting for other oil change places. We told at several oil places that the oil was extremely low upon arrival. I didn't think much of it until I mentioned to a mechanic at about 90,000 KMs that it seemed to be using a lot of oil. He alerted me to the Excessive Oil Consumption Issue. Subaru Canada had me take it in to the dealership and do a Oil Consumption Test and found it did indeed consume excessive oil but then refused to honor warranty because I didn't get my servicing done there. I signed up for the class action lawsuit but don't think it will get me anything more than extended warranty which they refuse to honor anyway. My recommendation to any one thinking about buying anything from Subaru is DON'T! What really irks me now is their slogan "Confidence in Motion". Subaru has lost mine, and judging by this, and many other customers, confidence and the only way to get it back is to face up to the fact they used a bad engine and work on a plan to fix them. Not likely to happen....
post #563 of 574 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 01:56 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: LL Bean (4EAT)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
... I was told that they would be ordering a short block replacement for my 2011 Forester 2.5... My usage rate exceeded a quart every 5K miles.
That's what my 2008 2.5 gets. I thought a half quart between 2500 mile changes was normal, and was perfectly satisfied. My wife's 2008 Buick uses a quart in 3000 miles.
Maybe I can get a new Forester engine ;-)

2008 LL Bean
post #564 of 574 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 10:15 AM
Forum Member

So, took the Forester in this morning for the short block replacement. Was told that it may be about 5 days total (across a weekend). They loaned me a new 2017 Forester while the work is being performed. Being treated very well by the dealer to date. Will see how all this pans out after getting my car back.
post #565 of 574 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:03 PM
Forum Member

Got the Forester back this morning after dropping it off Friday for the short block changeout. So, basically, two days to change out. That's good. Now, to see how it goes fro here. Was told that the next oil change will be in 6000 miles. Sort of surprises me as you normally have an intermediate oil change before starting normal intervals. Good, I suppose. Will see what happens and put updates here if issues arise.

post #566 of 574 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 03:33 PM
Forum Member

When I got a new short block, they told me to do the first oil change in 2000 miles. Definitely keep an eye on it. It doesn't hurt to change it sooner the first time and then switch to longer intervals.
Don't forget to do a good break in procedure for the new short block.
post #567 of 574 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 12:03 PM
Forum Member

My 2011 X is getting less oil consumption now than before, this is after short block was replaced and 2500 miles later. Glad to see this behavior is taking place. I'm observing the MPG during next 1000 - 2000 miles, and hoping to see it goes back to what it used be. Then I will change the oil at 60K miles mark. The new short block was put in at 55K miles mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161201_122157.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	381810  
post #568 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 12:52 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester
My '16 Forester used no oil in the first 6000 mi, however after the second 6000 mi it's used about 1/2 quart. I had taken it in for the 12000 scheduled maintenance & told them about the half quart usage and they said they would make a note of it, whatever that means. Got it home checked the level after the oil change and lo and behold it was 1/2 quart overfilled!
post #569 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 07:55 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1155 View Post
My '16 Forester used no oil in the first 6000 mi, however after the second 6000 mi it's used about 1/2 quart. I had taken it in for the 12000 scheduled maintenance & told them about the half quart usage and they said they would make a note of it, whatever that means. Got it home checked the level after the oil change and lo and behold it was 1/2 quart overfilled!
What's the dealer's name? It would be good for the owners to avoid certain dealer(s).
post #570 of 574 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 07:25 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: 2.5i Premium
Transmission: manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1155 View Post
Just changed the oil in my 2014 Forester, 6 MT. and carefully put in 5.5 quarts. I came back about 4 hours later and pulled the dipstick to see where a fresh oil fill ended up on the dipstick. It registered 3/8 of an inch above the top "full" hole in the dipstick. In other words, you may not have an overfill situation like you may think. Interesting finding after a 3 hour freeway trip on the new oil change. I went from Subaru stock oil and Mobil 1 to Quaker State "ultra durability" synthetic for the first time after 30,000 miles of driving. My oil temperature has always registered between 225 F. and 229 F. since I bought the car new. On this last freeway trip on the fresh Quaker State the oil temperature ran between 205 F. and 209 F. I will be sticking with Quaker State. My late build 2014 Forester has never had the oil burn problem, but does use a little more oil when I really jack-rabbit the car around.
treeman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > FB25 - 2.5L Non-Turbo (2011+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode