2011+ FB25 discussion about oil consumption (split thread) - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 565 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Admin

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2011+ FB25 discussion about oil consumption (split thread)

This thread is for general discussion about the FB25 oil consumption.

Please keep relatively on topic. Inappropriate posts and off topic discussion will be deleted. If it becomes a habit, you will be reprimanded.

Reports, updates, and data from people with oil consumption should be posted here: 2011+ FB25 oil consumption usage data and updates (split thread)

An archive of the massive previous thread is available here: 2011+ Excessive Oil Consumption? (ARCHIVED)

We cleaned that thread up so that only reports of consumption and updates are there. That is now the "FB25 oil consumption usage data and updates(split thread)."

Prospective buyers should discuss their concerns here: Has the oil consumption problem been fixed?

Class-Action lawsuit discussion should take place here: 2011-14 Forester Oil Consumption Class Action Lawsuit (Merged Thread)

If you want to contribute to "data" collection, participate in these polls:
Oil consumption poll
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...rester-347634/
New poll - when did your FB25 Forester started to burn oil?
Oil Consuming FB25 - What Transmission?

If you want to discuss oil weight changes, do it here: 30 wt. Oil in the FB-Your Results (merged thread)

Please focus on the topics each thread is intended to be be about so that everyone can benefit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 565 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 05:43 AM
Taking a Walkabout in the Outback

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
For those concerned about Subaru FB engine family oil consumption issues - Subaru has re-issued new TSBs on the subject on August 28. Apparently, ring replacement is no longer an approved method to attempt to correct the problem, and a short block replacement is the recommended method. This is driven by the number of unsuccessful attempts to correct the problem with ring replacement only. Moreover, there are reports of cars that have been repaired twice, first by doing ring replacement only, and second time with short block replacement, that are still burning oil. More information can be found on Subaru Outback forum.

The links to the updated TSBs can be found here
Subaru Technical Information System

post #3 of 565 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 06:56 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Impreza 5-Door Sport
Transmission: Auto (CVT)
Seems like you have to have an account to view the PDF TBS files on the link above.

For some, another dead end.

EDIT: You can gain access to the TBS files for $34.95.

Think I would rather use the the $34.95 for a tank of gas.

Last edited by tonyford; 09-13-2014 at 07:03 AM.
post #4 of 565 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester 2.5X Prem.
Transmission: AT
Any chance that someone could post a PDF of this latest TSB online where interested owners would be able to view it?
post #5 of 565 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 07:54 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5 premium
Transmission: 6 speed manual
My MY14 will turn 30K miles this next week.

Next oil change is due in about 1K.
The consumption test will begin at that time.

I was at the dealer to have my broken lumbar support repaired earlier this week.

While I was waiting, I addressed the consumption issue with a couple of the service writers. One guy told me he wasn't aware of any 2.5's that they had to fix. Just the 2.0's in Legacy's and Crosstrek's.
The same guy told me I should just run thicker oil. I mentioned voiding the warranty, and he said that no one would no any different.

He also stated that they would try a re-ring first and if that didn't take, a new short block. My fingers are crossed that it just turns into a new short block.
This is going to be interesting.

Edit to add that after reading the above in this thread, that the guy was also clueless about the new FSB.
post #6 of 565 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 08:00 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i Premiu
Transmission: 6MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyford View Post
Seems like you have to have an account to view the PDF TBS files on the link above.

For some, another dead end.

EDIT: You can gain access to the TBS files for $34.95.

Think I would rather use the the $34.95 for a tank of gas.
TANK of gas? What is this, 2002?

post #7 of 565 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 08:13 AM
Forum Member

Garage
Hey Josh, can you put the manufacturing changeover date when Subaru started implementing the new piston rings in your first post? Maybe applicable VIN numbers too if you happen to know them?

This would help as there are now multiple LONG threads and finding this information is quite time consuming.

Thanks!

post #8 of 565 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Admin

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_calif View Post
Hey Josh, can you put the manufacturing changeover date when Subaru started implementing the new piston rings in your first post? Maybe applicable VIN numbers too
If someone can provide me credible info about it, I would be happy to.

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #9 of 565 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: VW Golf SportWagen
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
For topic of "re-ringing" -- cylinders would have to be honed also, if this isn't being done the exercise probably isn't going to change much. Anyone ever hear from Subaru exactly WHAT the "ring issue" is? Rings could be gapped on the loose side but that probably won't cause much grief, if they were gapped way too tight that may cause problems.

Stan

Shocks > struts.
post #10 of 565 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual
repair or sell?

If an owner is having the oil consumption problem and one is hoping for long term reliability (200,000 miles), is it better to try the short block replacement or sell it?

post #11 of 565 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 01:05 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Transmission: Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lis54 View Post
If an owner is having the oil consumption problem and one is hoping for long term reliability (200,000 miles), is it better to try the short block replacement or sell it?
Replacement shouldn't affect reliability.
post #12 of 565 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 06:22 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Transmission: Automatic
Excessive Oil Consumption

I have a 2012 2.5 Forester. I have had excessive oil consumption issues since day one. Two years ago I blew out a quart of oil in 800 miles of 75mph highway driving. I currently have 63K miles and completed Subaru's oil consumption test. I used 1 quart in 1520 miles of city hwy combined. Thank goodness I bought a Certified Used Subie so I have a 100K warranty. I was that I exceed Subaru's oil standard. They will be faxing my report to headquarters Monday or Tuesday. I was told I will be getting a New Short Block. I know of the Oil Ring Issues. I asked the service Mgr what rings they have. He did not answer it exactly but he did say that the ones they have replace have not had any more issues. By the way there had to be a stack of over 100 ongoing tests in that folder.
post #13 of 565 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 05:12 AM
Taking a Walkabout in the Outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnashrak View Post
Car been at dealer for 2 weeks now, first update they were replacing rings and valve guides (apparently is part of the process of replacing rings...). Second update today, they sent some parts of the head to inspection and just got them back. A bit confused with what they are really doing but I'm just talking with the service rep, so I guess I'll see it all on the receipt when I get my keys back.
Good info. There has been numerous reports of cars that got their rings replaced but still consumed oil after the repairs. The fact that Subaru has changed the repair procedure from rings to short block replacement was a hint that the problem involves more than just defective rings. Your post provides additional evidence that defective valve guides and heads may also be part of the problem.
post #14 of 565 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 06:26 AM
Forum Member

Garage
Does anyone know if the replacement engine blocks are different somehow? Different materials used? Different design? Or are they just simply replacing the defective blocks with new ones.

I'm trying to figure out if the problem is due to defective parts (manufacturing flaws) or a design flaw. Sounds to me like its more of a manufacturing issue since not all engines are affected.

post #15 of 565 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Pontiac Vibe AWD
Transmission: 4 speed Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrunner View Post
my "new" short block used 6.5 qts in 7500 miles

THEY ARE CLUELESS!

AN EPIC FAIL OF ENORMOUS MAGNITUDE!
So what's Subaru going to do for you now? I would think that you deserve a new vehicle at this stage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > FB25 - 2.5L Non-Turbo (2011+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode