The Seventh Sister
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
How To: Install 2014+ Forester No-Drill License Plate Adapter Bracket
Much thanks to DMG_XT for providing the photos for this write-up!
Included in your hardware package are:
Tools needed for the install:
- 2x rubber well nuts &
- 2x flat-head Phillips machine screws - to mount the bracket to the bumper
- 2x hex head socket cap screws - to attach the license plate to the bracket
How to install the bracket:
1. Insert the rubber well nuts into the pre-molded, round holes in the front bumper.
- Phillips screwdriver
- 5mm hex key
The well nuts will be a tight fit - it’s easiest to thread one of the Phillips screws onto the nut and give it a little gentle persuasion with your thumb, as shown below. It should pop into place rather nicely without too much force; push it in until the flange rests firmly against the bumper skin. Once the nuts are in place, remove the screws.
Well nuts installed:
2. Mount the license plate bracket using the Phillips head screws.
Pass the screws through the outer, counter-sunk holes of the bracket and thread them into the installed well nuts; tighten until snug. As you tighten the screws down, the rubber part of the well nuts will expand behind the bumper skin and anchor the bracket in place.
Bracket installed (pretend the screws shown are Phillips - these pics were taken with prototype hardware
3. Attach the license plate and frame or holder of your choice to the bracket using the hex head socket cap screws.
Please note that the length of the hex cap screws is designed to accommodate a standard license plate frame or holder in addition to the plate. If you’re mounting the license plate to the bracket without a frame or holder, it is recommended that you add 1/8th inch thick vinyl washers to the screws to prevent them from protruding through the rear of the bracket and making contact with the bumper skin.
~ Silke ~
'04 FXT 4EAT PSM - "Subed Up"
'98 S 4EAT DBP - "Slynki"