Subaru forester owners in Nairobi Kenya - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > International Forums > Africa
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: SG5-052047
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Subaru forester owners in Nairobi Kenya

Hi all,

Yeah I agree the world cup fever is up and running despite dismal performance by our dear African teams, but hope is still there...

I have tried getting a OBD II scanner/reader in Nairobi, Kenya with no luck. The dealer is too expensive, they charge around 60 USD and they dont allow you to witness the reading being done.

In the meantime I have ordered one and once it arrives I hope extract the CEL codes and also help you in this part of the world with no access to this reader/scanner..

All in all subarus foresters are great cars and if you have this great machine in Kenya lets keep in touch in this great forum
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2010, 12:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: Forester S/tb

Dude, sema!, how you doing? Did you manage to get the reader?
let me know where from, I am also looking to get one but of course, I can't get one from anywhere in Nairobi.... any ideas?

thanks
Amubabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: SG9
Transmission: 6MT

Wollapa?

Nice to see a few kenyans here. Also looking for the gadget but it seems i may be able to only get it from japan.

Im looking for a boost controller and good aftermarket calipers. Any ideas who is good in the market for this mods and normal service?

04 fsxt (R.I.P)
kbn546j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: Forester S/tb

dude,... so far, most of my service is done at home by self or a buddy o mine, although for mods n stuff, accessories, I hear Auto Art have got alot of insteresting gadgets, search for their fbk page and check out their photos.

chiaz!

P.S - Did you manage to get the DTC reader? thanks
Amubabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amubabe View Post
dude,... so far, most of my service is done at home by self or a buddy o mine, although for mods n stuff, accessories, I hear Auto Art have got alot of insteresting gadgets, search for their fbk page and check out their photos.

chiaz!

P.S - Did you manage to get the DTC reader? thanks
Thans Amubabe, was there today and they do have some good stuff at a good rate. If your looking for stage 1 and stage 2 upgrades, they are the pple to talk to however its still good to get your own AP or you will pay serious cash everytime you want to remap.

Whats their FBK page?

Going to stage 2 in a few weeks.... hope ill have an AP by then from egypt.

04 fsxt (R.I.P)
Old 05-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Bnp

Car Model: Forester
Default General Service, Fuel Quality, and ECU mapping

Hi,

I'm both new to Nairobi (in the last two months) and new to Subarus. But I jumped in with both feet. I have two '04 Foresters, one XT with an EJ20T and an STI.

I have several questions:
  1. Do you guys have a recommendation on a person/shop for general service and maintenace?
  2. What have you done about the poor fuel quality here relative to that in Japan?
  3. Who do you trust to do an ECU remap?

I went to Lota Motors with the XT but wasn't thrilled with the service. The mechanic himself was very nice and I think trustworthy, but the car ended up being damaged while in their care and it came back with 150 extra KM on the odometer. Would love to find someone who knows Subarus and can do the required maintenance.

And with the much lower octane/RON ratings here, what have you guys done about fuel? Octane booster? A stepped-down ECU map to avoid detonation?

Any other advice for a newbie?

I'm so happy to find some local Subaru owners on this list!

Brooke
Bnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

hi brooke welcome to Kenya and the Subaru community.

let me try answer your questions....

[*]Do you guys have a recommendation on a person/shop for general service and maintenace?

ill give you four

1) if you can find your way to industrial area opposite Kenya wine agencies limited ( Google maps) there is a shell petrol station and behind it a white gate. see a person called amir (auto art also on Facebook with a Lamborghini pic) who is really good at servicing performance cars..

2) buy parts from subatech next to city stadium and find a good mech to do the job

3) splash cash by the hour at Subaru Kenya but they don't support modded parts

4) my preferred option, spend about 15k kshs and buy extensions,wrenches, sockets.... etc and DIY. there is alot of data on this website and with abit of reading... it will take you 2 to 3 hours to do your own service.

there is another place in lavington next to St austins... its a car bazaar too... but don't know how good they are.

there are many places in industrial area to get your car serviced if you look..

[*]What have you done about the poor fuel quality here relative to that in Japan?

unfortunately this is the downside here.. use v power from shell if you want to mod your car... they say its 91 octane but I'm not sure bout that.... any mods below 400 bhps and you should be fine... anything above that and you sure will blow your engines...
[*]Who do you trust to do an ECU remap?

well amir at auto art is ok but as for the other people I have talked to.. don't trust them with my daily driver and open source.... get an access port v2 and use the stage 2 maps..

now its my turn to ask a question... are you from Japan as you mentioned about Japan's fuel... I totalled my fozz a few weeks ago and looking to buy one from Japan again once the ongoing golden week is over...

cheers

steve.

04 fsxt (R.I.P)

Last edited by kbn546j; 05-04-2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 05-06-2011, 07:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Bnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbn546j View Post
hi brooke welcome to Kenya and the Subaru community.

let me try answer your questions....

[*]Do you guys have a recommendation on a person/shop for general service and maintenace?

ill give you four

1) if you can find your way to industrial area opposite Kenya wine agencies limited ( Google maps) there is a shell petrol station and behind it a white gate. see a person called amir (auto art also on Facebook with a Lamborghini pic) who is really good at servicing performance cars..

2) buy parts from subatech next to city stadium and find a good mech to do the job

3) splash cash by the hour at Subaru Kenya but they don't support modded parts

4) my preferred option, spend about 15k kshs and buy extensions,wrenches, sockets.... etc and DIY. there is alot of data on this website and with abit of reading... it will take you 2 to 3 hours to do your own service.

there is another place in lavington next to St austins... its a car bazaar too... but don't know how good they are.

there are many places in industrial area to get your car serviced if you look..

[*]What have you done about the poor fuel quality here relative to that in Japan?

unfortunately this is the downside here.. use v power from shell if you want to mod your car... they say its 91 octane but I'm not sure bout that.... any mods below 400 bhps and you should be fine... anything above that and you sure will blow your engines...
[*]Who do you trust to do an ECU remap?

well amir at auto art is ok but as for the other people I have talked to.. don't trust them with my daily driver and open source.... get an access port v2 and use the stage 2 maps..

now its my turn to ask a question... are you from Japan as you mentioned about Japan's fuel... I totalled my fozz a few weeks ago and looking to buy one from Japan again once the ongoing golden week is over...

cheers

steve.
That's terrible you totaled your car! Were you at least able to salvage parts?

Thank you for all your answers. I'll have to check out Auto Art. I'm not looking to do mods on my cars, I just want them to survive on the low grade fuel.

As far as V-Power it's hard to find (as is all fuel right now). Even the V-Power though is too low on octane even before you start thinking about mods. The cars are mapped for 95 octane fuel. What I need is to get it mapped for 87 octane. I'll probably lose 10% of my HP but that's better than rebuilding the engine every year. I'd love to get more power rather than less but without heavy engine mods a stage 2 maps would go to waste.

Anybody know where you can find toluene? Could use that to mix my own fuel.

And to answer your question, no I'm not from Japan. But the cars are and I was doing research on the octane ratings in Japan. Octane runs as 97 in Japan and most cars with turbos, like the XT and especially the STI, are mapped to run on the very high grade fuel.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

good info....

you can try orbit chemical industries on Mombasa road on your way to arthi river... or apex coatings in industrial area... yellow pages will definately have their contacts...

as for the car.. it seems to have been vandalized hours after the crash... ding know downpipes were hot cakes here....

04 fsxt (R.I.P)
Old 05-12-2011, 05:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: L 2.0

Jambo wote,

I recently got a used 99 stb, much better than toyotas i've been used to although really heavy on the fuel.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: SG5-052047

Hi guys,

Poleni, for not replying sooner. I have been abit tied up. Its good to see the Kenyan community has grown.

On the issue of fuel, i highly suspect that the low quality has alot to do with the CEL engine lights we are all experiencing even on the non-turbo machines. Even after changing O2 sensor the light lingers on.

@ kbn546j Subaru kenya is mostly a waste of money so is their new dealer concorde at shell hurlingham.

I usually go with BnPs option of buying parts at suba tech and then getting a mechanic who deals with subarus to do it for me at home.

Subatech also has a garage but you need to supervise those guys..they can steal even your steering wheel (just kidding ..)..

@BnP sorry you totaled ur car.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
Bnp

Thank you for your thoughts. My car is running super hot and the power is way down, common problems associated with detonation. I've been doing a lot of research on the issue and it looks like there are a few options:

1) re-program the ECU at Auto Art or do it yourself (not cheap and less power)
2) Find toluene and mix your own gas to increase the octane of the fuel (unknown cost, factory power)
3) Install water or water/meth injection for the turbo to raise the effective octane of the fuel (expensive, but with power increase)

Do you all have a recommendation for a good mechanic to use? I was thinking that I would use Suba Tech for parts and it would be great to have somebody who knows Subarus who could come to my house.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

hi guys

I think the Meth option is the best and auto art recommended it to me sometime back. bnp, how hot is your engine running? have you checked the coolant? are both fans coming on quickly? which oil are you using as the coolant also cools the Turbo oil....

I'm still looking for an 04+ cross sports Turbo so if you hear of one....

04 fsxt (R.I.P)
Old 05-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamaitu View Post
Hi guys,

Poleni, for not replying sooner. I have been abit tied up. Its good to see the Kenyan community has grown.

On the issue of fuel, i highly suspect that the low quality has alot to do with the CEL engine lights we are all experiencing even on the non-turbo machines. Even after changing O2 sensor the light lingers on.

@ kbn546j Subaru kenya is mostly a waste of money so is their new dealer concorde at shell hurlingham.

I usually go with BnPs option of buying parts at suba tech and then getting a mechanic who deals with subarus to do it for me at home.

Subatech also has a garage but you need to supervise those guys..they can steal even your steering wheel (just kidding ..)..

@BnP sorry you totaled ur car.
hi wamaitu

only way you will be sure where the cel codes are coming from is if

1. you get an access port for around 48k

2. or download open source to your laptop and get an obd2 connector for about 3k and run the diagnosis.

there are hundreds of cel codes and letting a mech troubleshoot.....

steve

04 fsxt (R.I.P)

Last edited by kbn546j; 05-20-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: adding or to point no 2
Old 04-10-2012, 02:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester STi
Transmission: 6M

Hi Bnp,

Did you try using Toluene? Where do you buy it?

I'm upcountry and cannot even get V-power here so running on 91RON (Kenya Premium) with high consumption and low power as result.

No low octane modding done yet...

Cheers,
cb
colaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > International Forums > Africa