Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

3500 mile loop from WV to Key West and New Orleans

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  jdog 
#1 ·
Hi all!

I've had my 2000 Forester for about 6 weeks now, and I love it! My brother, my cousin, and I are leaving tomorrow for a week-long roadtrip that I hope will be the first of many in this sweet ride.

We plan to camp five nights (if the weather cooperates), stay in a hotel one night, and with a friend in GA for one night.

I hope to post some pics along the way, but to get started here's one of Fozzie and our planned route.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thought I'd give an update.

We left WV and headed to Pilot Mtn, NC to pick up our cousin on Sunday. Here we are before heading out.

Sunday night we camped outside of Charleston, SC on the intercoastal waterway. Here's Fozzie parked at the campsite.

Monday we rolled down to Daytona Beach and spent some time.

Tuesday we went through Miami on our way to the everglades. Spent some time at Miami Beach. Tuesday night we went into Everglades National Park and set up camp at Flamingo Campground. After spraying on half of a can of bug spray to deal with the clouds of mosquitoes, we ate and went to bed. About 1:00AM we woke up and couldn't go back to sleep because it was so hot. We decided to pack up camp and hit the road for Key West, so that's what we did about 2:00AM.

Stopped at a Waffle House in Key Largo for an early breakfast (about 3:30ish).

We made it to Key West about 6:20AM and here's a sunrise photo!

We then drove back to the mainland and headed northwest. Spent the night Wednesday in Port Richey, FL.

Today we continued northwest and we're staying the night near Pensacola, FL. Plan to hit the beach for a few hours tomorrow morning before heading toward New Orleans! Parked next to a brother from CO at Walmart a little while ago.

#5 ·
Waffle House at 0330 is the place to be. Great coffee and waffles..... It is hard to camp in the Florida heat and humidity this time of year. Anyways it looks like you guys are having fun....Keep us up to date. Good times!

Be selective of where you park your Forester in New Orleans to protect your things.

#6 ·
Continued good luck on your adventure, Your to hot to sleep while camping reminds me of a time when I was
a young man in the 1970's and we were in a camp ground in central NJ and it was so hot and buggy (no bug spray)
that we had to break camp and try to sleep in a car ,which was not to good of an idea. Fast forward 45 years and I
wouldn't trade that memory for anything. Hopefully you did some serious maintenance to that Suby before heading out.
If not you will have one heck of job when you get back home. I enjoyed the story and if you can write down additional
details of the trip. ed

#8 ·
Awesome! Many years ago, I took a LONG road trip from Maryland all the way to San Fran. I'll tell you what, even after going around the world in the Marines, that was the single best experience in my life when it came to travel. Be safe and keep this bad boy updated! Safe travels!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.