Replacing front O2 sensor - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Cross Sports
Replacing front O2 sensor

I had a CEL read today and it's my front O2 sensor. I should be getting a new one this week. I was checking on Scoobmods how to replace it and was wondering how hard it would be without that special slotted socket? I don't have any heatshields to deal with as my exhaust manifold is not stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Forester
This is how I did mine.

O2 Sensor replaced Pics inside!!!

2001 L 5 spd, Borla header, custom exhaust.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:24 PM

Car Year: 98
Car Model: Fozzie
Trinidoc:

If you don't have a special tool and you are finding it really difficult to remove due to space you can always, as you already know since you replaced your exhaust, how simple it is to drop the header and get good access to it.
I used my standard 22mm open end and my old rusted sensor popped loose easily.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:35 PM
The Modfather

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Legacy 3.6R Limited
Transmission: 5EAT
AutoZone or most any other place will lend you the tool for free, you just need to leave a deposit. I just noticed you aren't in the states though.

The one on the turbo is a lot different than the NA to get at:

http://www.scoobymods.com/front_oxyg...98.html?t=9398

Getting to it with an open end will require removing the heat shield I think which is quite a trick in itself :(

Peaty

2010 Leg 3.6 R, 2013 OB, 2001 OB, 2001 Forester S and 1999 Miata
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member

Car Model: XS Premium
Transmission: MT
+++ for 22mm open ended. It works better in the very tight space than the special sockets. Put the front up on ramps and attack it from below.

2003 XS Premium MT >200k miles! ● 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS MT ● Robin-Subaru Powered Generator
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Transmission: 4EAT
I managed to not get mine back in properly with an open end wrench. Then it failed. Spent ~10 bucks on an 02 socket, standard 7/8 and metric 22 work the same.

06 XTL 4EAT 2.5XT-R Yimi Sport Tuned...For Sale
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Ok, I'll tackle it from below first that way if I can't budge it then I can still drop the headers to get to it. I just have to check now and see if I have a 22mm open end wrench which I seriously doubt.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Got the sensor today (22641AA042). Tackled it from below. Took the wheel off first so I could make sure I had a good fit of the wrench on it. Came off pretty easily but then I had my headers changed about 2 months ago so wasn't on there very long. Reset the ECU and so far so good. Now to see if that CEL comes back on.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Forester L
Okay this morning I replaced my front (#1) O2 sensor for my 2001 Forester with 185,000 miles. After searching the web for prices I was getting prices from $125.00 to $170.00. However I noticed a company advertising on this site named:

Discount O2 Sensor - Top engine performance at bottom dollar prices

They listed the sensor much cheaper, the cost was only $42.50, with shipment it was $53.80 and shipping was fast, the sensor is OEM (Bosch). The car runs great. Another thing I am finding that is useful is the OBDII scanner/reader from Harbor Freight, item #9856 (listed price $59.79). It reads the codes and you can reset also, if you live in one of the states that does not allow you to fill your gas tank, the tool makes life allot better since the gas attendant half the time do not put on the gas cap on correctly, which will generate an CEL.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 05:19 PM

Car Model: Forester 2.5XS
I have a 2003 subaru forester 2.5XS & I just bought a K&N air filter replacement to replace the one that's cheap in the filter box. Would it cause my CEL to come on? I had my CEL come on today and went to the local auto parts store and and them read the codes and two popped up, P1443 & P1017. Which are these? I've tried researching on google but not much comes up. can someone email me on my gmail( *** removed by mod) and explain to me what's going on? I'm gonna try to do the repairs with my fiancÚ's help. This is the first time this has happened to my car & it kinda concerns me. With any info at all please email or reply on here...

Thanks & I hope I can get some info! :)

2003 Subaru Forester 2.5XS
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member

Car Model: XS Premium
Transmission: MT
I removed your email address because we've had instances of bots scouring our site, harvesting email addresses, and then spamming our members.

With the right settings in your profile (Enable Private Messaging and Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages) you will get an email notification whenever a member sends you a Private Message, and your email address won't be revealed to anybody. That's the best way to get email from somebody here.

But this aside, we prefer to keep all advice out in the public view, so it can be visible for other members who might be experiencing a similar situation.

Here's a link to a listing of CEL codes. The P1017 however doesn't appear there, nor in another list that I consulted.

2003 XS Premium MT >200k miles! ● 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS MT ● Robin-Subaru Powered Generator
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XS
Transmission: Automatic
I replaced the front o2 sensor on my 04 XS last week. Ended up paying $200 + tax at the dealer, blah. But the new part worked fine and I passed California emmisssions so I'm happy.

Interesting thing is the old part is labelled 22641AA140 but the new part was 22641AA280. The old part also said "Denso O3E28 192400-2080" on it, so obviously, the part is made by Denso.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forester_front_o2_sensor.jpg
Views:	1837
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	39427  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XS MY04
Transmission: Auto
Hi Guys
I'm in Australia (MY04 XS) and after having the engine light on my mechanic has diagnosed it and said I need an "02 sensor (sensor 1), air and fuel, 4 wire sensor".

I need to know the OEM number. The Subaru dealer claims it's against their policy to provide it to me. (They are looking $670AUD!)

From what I'm reading here the number is 22641AA280. Can anyone confirm if this is the same for an Australian model?

Thanks in advance
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 02:16 PM
The Modfather

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Legacy 3.6R Limited
Transmission: 5EAT
well according to this:

SubaruParts.com - Your #1 Source for OEM Parts and Accessories

It is a front oxygen sensor and if you go here:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/info/22641AA280/

Sounds like you have the right part.

As for the cost, I know the price is insane, when I had a business trip to Oz I brought one to a member and it only cost something like 130USD.

I happen to have this oxygen sensor here on my desk:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...RBS960907.html

That if you think will work you can have if you pay shipping. I got it for a scooby and the plug was different although it was supposed to fit. If you think it will work that is.

Peaty

2010 Leg 3.6 R, 2013 OB, 2001 OB, 2001 Forester S and 1999 Miata
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester 2.0X
Hello guys,

For some time (about a year) I am experiencing surge/stall/bog problems.

I have changed the spark plugs, spark plugs wires, ignition coil, cleaned the throttle body... nothing changed.
Unfortunately, here in Romania, the electronic diagnostics is very poor for Subaru (as the car is very rare), the car shops don't have the software to dig deeper on the problem.

After reading this thread and other similar here I have decided to change the front O2 sensor. My mechanic does not think that this will do it but I have insisted.

The problem is that there aren't much options for the parts as well here so the one I found on stock is one from Denso without the connector. This would not be a problem cause I found the wiring diagram but my mechanic says that those two sensors are not the same.
The one that I bought is called Lamda sensor in Europe and was what the dealer software found for the precat oxygen sensor for my car and it looks like the one in picture 1 and the one from the car looks like the one in picture 2. I did not manage to get a picture of them both because I blackout when they said that it's not the same thing. Can anyone tell me if I can use the one I bought?

Also guys I want to ask you all to excuse me because I will post this on few similar threats to try to obtain as many answers as I can.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ20 - 2.0L Turbocharged

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.