LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester 2.5i
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Magellan Navi coming to 7" infotainment system?

2017 Subaru BRZ Adds Popular Navigation App » AutoGuide.com News

I read this article and became very excited... will SoA release this update for the Forester? I emailed them about it and got this response:

Dear Mr. L,

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking time out of your day to contact us with your Magellan navi inquiry.

At this time, only the 2017 Impreza and 2017 BRZ are compatible with Magellan. We have not announced any plans to update any other models, though I will document your feedback and pass it along to my product management team for further review. Past input from our customers has been helpful in initiating changes to our newer models. The most valued opinion of any business is that of its customers. Your comments are valuable to us in that they provide us with a clear picture of our products as seen by our owners.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of service.

Sincerely,
Megan F.
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Retailer Services Department
1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

It sounds like if we all contact them and request this feature be enabled, they might consider it. Personally, I would LOVE to have this feature available and would gladly pay for it.

You can send them an email from their customer support page at Customer Support Pages

Let's make this happen!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:16 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester XT
Ain't gonna happen. When's the last time you heard automaker upgrade the firmware for infotainment system? A while ago Hyundai was going on about adding android auto support to all their older cars but I don't think they ever did.

EJH likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:38 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: XT Touring
they have the 2.1 version of the software (in 2017 7" units)... won't upgrade the 2016 that has the 2.0 version...

easiest path is to swap out the HU... it just isn't worth it for them to test and release an upgrade... remember, this then adds the cost down the chain to the franchises to do the work (not sure if SOA does a reimbursement for this type of stuff)

If you aren't upgrading, you aren't trying.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
It seems to me that all they would have to do is enable Magellan Navi within the Starlink phone app in order for it to work. Everything happens on the phone, not the head unit... it only displays and lets you control what's on the phone. Obviously they have already done the work in order to make it available on certain models, so it should not cost them much if anything to release an app update for it to work on others. Magellan should push to have it released since they stand to make money on the subscriptions.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmtl View Post
Ain't gonna happen. When's the last time you heard automaker upgrade the firmware for infotainment system? A while ago Hyundai was going on about adding android auto support to all their older cars but I don't think they ever did.
In my last vehicle (2010 Ford Edge), Ford released a firmware update for the infotainment system that you could download from their website and then upload into the unit via USB flash drive. Last time I did that, it enabled the feature where it would read your text messages aloud, which it never had before. So it's not unheard of in the industry.... now SoA may be a completely different story, but it is possible.

Last edited by symbasys; 01-12-2017 at 04:40 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:29 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: FXT
Why would we want a stop gap measure like Magellan when the rest of the industry is moving to Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

Looks like Subaru is only adding Auto and CarPlay to brand new models and existing models and facelifts are stuck with only Starlink.

Don't most people say Magellan sucks for nav anyway?

2004 PSM FXT
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
Why would we want a stop gap measure like Magellan when the rest of the industry is moving to Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

Looks like Subaru is only adding Auto and CarPlay to brand new models and existing models and facelifts are stuck with only Starlink.

I tried using both Sygic and BringGo with MirrorLink on the head unit. Neither was a good experience, so Magellan seems like a big step up from those. Currently I'm using an old Magellan GPS suction-cupped to the windshield. It does a good job, but I'd rather not have to have another piece of equipment there. The tech exists to have a phone nav app show up on the HU screen, so if there's a way to make that happen (and work properly), I'm all for it. If SoA were to offer an update to enable Android Auto and/or CarPlay instead, that would be great too.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:29 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester STI
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post

I agree. Seems like most other manufacturers are going with Apple or Android compatibility. What I want to see more of is Auto companies using Android OS as the basis for their infotainment systems. Most infotainment systems are trash. Using Android or another OS would really open the systems up to new tech and usability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > News, Rumors and Media

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode