Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2019 Subaru Forester Spy Shots

76K views 54 replies 31 participants last post by  Seanyd78 
#1 ·
I have been looking at 2017 Forester XT for a while. Not in a hurry to pull the trigger since a new engine, suspension, and apps that could be readily available on 2019 models.

So here are some spy shots leaked today.

I will post them in my reply since the first post of this Forum can't contain links or images.

Attachments

See less See more
#18 ·
Dragging it out to 2020 would not make sense.

The Crossover market is so competitive that it would be extremely detrimental for Subaru to delay the Forester redesign until 2020.

Also, they have made claims that the Subaru global modular platform and new direct injection engines will be on all of their models by 2020. Since the Forester runs 1 year ahead of the Outback and Legacy cycle, it would only make sense for Subaru to redesign it at least one year earlier than the Outback.

#20 ·
New Update:
Subaru made their new-generation (Version 3) EyeSight driver assist system standard equipment on all but the base model in Japan. They also expanded the operating speed range on the Active Lane Keeping Assist feature from 60km/h to 65km/h. According to Subaru, this will “reduce the burden on the driver”.
Subaru also made some exterior and interior upgrades to their Japan-spec Forester "X-BREAK" model that doesn’t do anything for safety, but it makes it more attractive. It gets enhanced color accents with 17 inches aluminum wheels with dark gray metallic paint, and added front fog lamp covers side cladding, and roof rails which has new Orange accents. Inside it features orange stitching on the steering wheel, gear shift, center console, shift boot, and armrests. The new Forester gets new exterior colors Crystal White Pearl, Ice Silver metallic, dark gray metallic, and Crystal Black Silica.

Subaru made their new-generation (Version 3) EyeSight driver assist system standard equipment on all Forester SUVs but the base model in Japan and it gets expanded operating speed range on the Active Lane Keeping Assist. The Japan-spec models will be in Subaru showrooms April 3. Look for US-spec 2018 Subaru Forester models to also come standard with the new-generation EyeSight safety system with the additional upgrades when they arrive on US shores later this year.

Source:
New Japan-Spec Forester Reveals Improved Safety-Tech; Will U.S. Consumers See the Upgrades? - Torque News

#22 ·
I've only had my '14 XT since May of last year but we're already thinking about going for a third row. Doesn't make sense to have two larger-sized vehicles so my Fozzie would probably be the one to go. Hopefully the Viziv is great and even remotely in a price range I can afford, otherwise it'll probably be a late model Highlander.

I'd be disappointed in Subaru if they reused the current body AGAIN in 2018, but on the upside it would keep mine looking just as fresh as anything new. Good for resale :D

#30 ·
You can bet that the liftgate will be more angled and vertical, like the 2017 Impreza and 2018 Crosstrek. I'm guessing this is to increase cargo volume without increasing overall vehicle length.

At first glance these photos looked like they had a more chiseled liftgate, but upon inspection the pads covering the tail lights were probably making this look like an optical illusion. I'm pretty sure we're looking at a SJ mule.

#33 ·
You can bet that the liftgate will be more angled and vertical,.........
And let's hope it's not nearly as slow to open close as the current ones are. My Explorer is much quicker going up for sure. Down is a little quicker but Ford uses/allows gravity to help more so that the Subaru seems to.

#47 ·
I never should have let go of my 99s with over 220k miles on the clock. Especially after the fix, which I thought was going to be costly, was just a new fuel pump and sensor! I did do a complete top end rebuild, including rings and pistons, around 90k miles and upgraded several parts in the drivetrain while the motor was out. That thing was absolutely insanely fun everywhere including sand, jeep trails, gravel roads, etc. Now it's got over 250k on it and still running super strong with it's new owner.

Considering what I am going through right now I believe my original plan was the best one when I knew I had a small settlement coming in. Keep the 99s and buy an 06+ FXT drop it off at my mechanics along with a complete donor STI drivetrain with orders to build it and call me when it was done!

I have always been, and still am, a huge fan of the mini-wagon design. My 06 NA HD made my infotainment system easy to install so that was already taken care of and much easier to do compared to the my 2015. I do absolutely love my steering wheel controls on the '15.

#37 ·
I have a 17 XT Touring with a CVT and have used the paddle shifters - reportedly the best version. Not the same as a true manual transmission. I enjoying using a clutch, double shifting and feeling more connected to the driving experience. If I could get the same vehicle I have now, but with a manual I would do so in a heartbeat, and pay a premium. Ask any experienced Pilot who flies a commercial jet with a fly by wire system, versus mechanical and hydro-mechanical flight control systems about the difference.

#38 ·
You are certainly correct that paddles vs. MT are not the same experience, however the EyeSight system has unique virtues also: we spend our summers in the Finger Lakes country of NY, where there are tall hills between each lake and pretty much every East-West road is a roller-coaster. The enhanced Cruise Control under EyeSight will maintain a constant cruise speed despite the hills, and seamlessly follow slower traffic, and handle sudden encounters with cars ahead over blind hills. And it is never distracted, or looking elsewhere at the moment when challenges pop up. We regularly hear the same arguments WRT antiskid brakes -- that some drivers can do better -- but there are now it seems fewer collisions due to uncontrolled sliding, when they are pretty much standard, than when it was up to driver skill -- or the lack thereof. I often see inattentive drivers stopping short of collision in the choppy jerks of ASB, rather than the slide and BANG of yore.

#39 ·
I have EyeSight and agree with you that is a phenomenal option. Wouldn't buy another vehicle without it or an equivalent. That's why I qualified my desire in the post to have the exact vehicle I have now but with a manual transmission. I have not done a deep dive into why Eyesight is incompatible with a manual transmission that could not be solved with some creative Engineering. If I had to chose between EyeSight or a manual...I would go with EyeSight. Darwin's theory in action.

#40 ·
Rumor has it that the XT is dead after 2018... I've heard anecdotally that it represents less than 15% of the total Foresters sold year over year... hard to keep paying to crash test and bring to market a car that makes very little to them... my assumption is that they'll move the entire forester line to the new FA18DIT line. I believe that is what the platform is moving towards... the 2.4 (for the WRX and Ascent perhaps) and the 1.8 (I'll have to dig up the roadmap that someone posted elsewhere).

So, perhaps a Premium and Touring line with a standard engine across the board... lowers cost and focuses on their main buying group...

so, the SJ XT may be the last... of its line.

#48 ·
"While the Impreza and now the XV will be the foundations for a big year (2017), the brand will get further pick-me-ups in August with the arrival of the updated mid-life Levorg sports wagon and WRX and WRX STi hotties.
Fast forward to January next year and the Liberty and Outback range take turns for their mid-life upgrades.
Beyond that the emphasis shifts to an all-new Forester built on the global platform and scheduled for introduction in the second half of 2018."

#51 ·
2019 will be interesting a new Forester and Rav4. Toyota just bump their 2.5l up 30hp over 200hp up to 206hp depending on the exhaust. Along with the Camry hybrid to up to 52mpg on the LE and 46mpg on the SE and XLE. So the new Hybrid Rav4 maybe closer to 40mpg combined with a bump in hp for the regular Rav4. Not to mention the new platform.

My concern with the Forester is they bump their hp up and decide the XT is no longer needed. But so far it does not sell a lot and they have kept it.

Either way I will wait until 2020MY because it seems like the second year in a new generation gets a lot more standard features and improvements.

#52 ·
Yes, Subaru definitely needs to up the HP and torque of the new Forester. Hard to imagine that they keep the 2.5L four, but if they do, it needs DI and a bit more compression (which they can do on regular gas with DI) to get the HP/torque up to at least 180 each. Better, would be to put a small turbo engine (1.5-1.6L) in to get the torque early in the rpm range - maybe 190 HP/torque, with an improved CVT. Then they could jump the competition by offering a 2.0L version of this engine with maybe 250 HP/torque on premium gas. Most people would not need the latter, but the base engine today is not far removed from my 99 Forester's 2.5L flat four with 165 HP. Subie has updated that engine, but at this point, they need a new one.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.