Your new 2017 Foresters. Happy with them? (Merged Thread) - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

310Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 593 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Your new 2017 Foresters. Happy with them? (Merged Thread)

Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks!

y3kjoe, Kaiser60 and CACTUS99 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 593 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 05:36 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: '17
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: CVT w/ those funny buttons on the steering wheel
I'm dying to know myself!! Unfortunately I'm not sure yet cause it's still in transit! Got a 17 FXT premium in silver two weeks ago. I added about 2k in Subie add-ons at the port cause I saved labor costs but I think that's part of why I'm still waiting. I will let you know as soon as I know.

dunmail likes this.
post #3 of 593 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 08:10 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester2.5i Limited
Transmission: CVT
I am still waiting for my 2017 Limited 2.5i with eyesight that I ordered on May 20. Nothing yet.

post #4 of 593 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 06:55 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i Ltd
Picked up my Canadian '17 2.5i Limited last week which is the highest trim but without Eyesight.

SWP and Cognac Brown interior.

I can say that the interior is much quieter than the '16 2.5i I had taken for a test drive.

Memory drivers seat feature is fantastic with two profiles.

Moonroof does not tilt, only slides.

Vanity mirrors are now illuminated.

Was pleasantly surprised that it came pre-installed with the stainless steel rear bumper step pad ($160 CAD accessory - not sure if it comes with all trims). Saved me $80 from the black plastic one I was going to buy.
post #5 of 593 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 11:38 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: RS Coupe
Transmission: 4EAT
Day 2 and 75 miles update

2017 Forester Limited in Venetian Red with Aero Cross bars and package 1. Only thing we added was seat back protectors.

I had a 2015 Outback Limited so that is my main comparison point.

The Foresters single zone automatic climate control works fine but has a tenancy to default to full blast so I end up using it manually. The outside ambient temp display seems to consistently run 2 to 10 degrees high. The Outback seemed to have better climate control that seemed to work better in a "set it and forget it" mode.

Forester leather seats are soft and comfy. Only thing I miss is the memory function from the Outback Limited.

I had navigation on my Outback and wasn't impressed so we skipped it on our Forester.

Forester feels more peppy than the Outback did.

CVT operation is still wonky sometimes but overall unobtrusive and worth the fuel savings. I don't miss the paddles or manual shift function from my outback at all. (I used them a couple times and never bothered with it again.)

2005 Saab 9-2x
post #6 of 593 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 02:48 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester Ltd.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How's the suspension and handling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdoc View Post

2017 Forester Limited in Venetian Red with Aero Cross bars and package 1. Only thing we added was seat back protectors.

I had a 2015 Outback Limited so that is my main comparison point.

The Foresters single zone automatic climate control works fine but has a tenancy to default to full blast so I end up using it manually. The outside ambient temp display seems to consistently run 2 to 10 degrees high. The Outback seemed to have better climate control that seemed to work better in a "set it and forget it" mode.

Forester leather seats are soft and comfy. Only thing I miss is the memory function from the Outback Limited.

I had navigation on my Outback and wasn't impressed so we skipped it on our Forester.

Forester feels more peppy than the Outback did.

CVT operation is still wonky sometimes but overall unobtrusive and worth the fuel savings. I don't miss the paddles or manual shift function from my outback at all. (I used them a couple times and never bothered with it again.)

2014 forester ltd
prev: 2010 Foz Prem w/AWP
post #7 of 593 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 04:21 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i Prem
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepremium View Post
Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks!
I just bought a 2017 Forester 2.5i Premium about a week ago. So far I really like it. I have family members who have the 2014 Forester so I have driven that version many times. I can tell you that the 2017 is much quieter and feels a tad more refined and solid. The 2017 Premium now comes standard with the "X mode" feature for hills and off-roading situations. The Starlink infotainment system is nice and much more intuitive than the CRV and the CX5 that I drove also before buying the Forester. The 2017 has been tweaked to provide a tad sharper handling and a smoother ride and it does handle well for a vehicle of its heft and the ride is very smooth. The updated CVT is supposed to be improved to be more linear and smoother and it is more smooth than the 2014 version - the lurching forward feeling you get in the older models has been reduced - but there still are some situations where the CVT seems to be confused - mostly in slow stop and go driving - and has some quirks but overall its very smooth and it seems to propel the Forester to 60 mph effortlessly if you are steady and gentle on the accelerator - this CVT does NOT like to be "floored" or driven aggressively - it will bog down if you do that. This is my first Subaru and first CVT - so far so good!
post #8 of 593 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 06:18 PM
Casper reincarnated

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: Honda CR-V AWD
Transmission: 5 Sp A/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdoc View Post

The Foresters single zone automatic climate control works fine but has a tenancy to default to full blast so I end up using it manually.
My old 2000 RX Liberty & 2003 XS Forester did the same thing, if the car is hotter inside than outside it will go full blast to drop the temp as quickly as possible. You can help it out by putting all the windows down for a minute or two and blasting the hot air out, then put the windows up and let it reach your desired temp or close to it.

When you live in the tropics or deal with an Aussie summer it is heaven.

Peter

2016 Honda CRV AWD
Ex 2003 XS Forester
post #9 of 593 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 08:21 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 09
Car Model: Fozzy XT
Transmission: 4 Hungry aka 4EAT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Not sure if you guys looking to purchase or waiting for your inbound 2017 Forester, have seen this but it's worth a look. I realize this is the N/A but it's a great video nonetheless.

Not my video, nor do I know the poster:

Forester65 likes this.

Maint. is key, when proud of boxer
post #10 of 593 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 08:30 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: XT Premium
FXT Premium. Just finished the 1000km run in period.

Very happy. Got it very muddy this weekend and am so impressed with x mode.

Steering is a little dead at the straight ahead position and while the suspension is great on outback roads when you hit a decent pothole it sure does let you know. Probably more to do with the he low profile tyres.

post #11 of 593 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 07:58 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Took delivery of our '17 XT Touring in white pearl and saddle brown leather - absolutely phenomenal car so far (23 miles so far, haha).

Very quiet inside, the brown leather is dark and looks well done and feels very soft. It is perforated on the butt and back. Active cruise control works like a dream, suspension handles road imperfections well but seems sporty enough to prevent the car from feeling like a boat. Happy with the steering - it tightens up in S# mode but I has enough feedback that it's not numb like my Corolla with electric power steering. I have a 92 Miata for reference so I know what a good steering rack feels like. Loving the CVT - very responsive and direct when needed and smooth as glass when just puttering around town.

Dual zone climate works as advertised, phone pairing went flawlessly and switching was easy, map seemed fine and the Harmon/Kardon stereo sounds great right out of the box - might actually turn the bass down a little, haha

Overall we couldn't be happier. Can't wait to take it to the trails this weekend to see how it handle gravel Forest Service roads and highway.
post #12 of 593 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 01:19 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Volvo
Looking to test drive a Forester, CX-5 and CRV. What made you decide on the Subaru?

I'm looking for a vehicle with decent seat height. Tires of legs out in front of me. Wife wants power but the 2.0 uses premium and gets less MPG. Forester weights less but has more power than CX-5. Not sure how it stacks up against the Honda.
gunguy05 likes this.
post #13 of 593 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 02:52 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by massta View Post
Looking to test drive a Forester, CX-5 and CRV. What made you decide on the Subaru?

I'm looking for a vehicle with decent seat height. Tires of legs out in front of me. Wife wants power but the 2.0 uses premium and gets less MPG. Forester weights less but has more power than CX-5. Not sure how it stacks up against the Honda.
I really like my dad's 2014 CX-5 GT w/ AWD - looks fantastic, drive great, really no complaints at all, it just didn't have all the bells and whistles that the XT Touring has. Don't get me wrong - the CX-5 is a great car - awesome fuel economy, looks great, drives great, really nice place to be. Another reason against the CX-5 is we're unsure of how it'll age in 10-15 years. The Forester has a more rugged/understated (boring?) style that we think will still look good in the many years we plan to have it. The Forester also has a FAR more comfortable rear seat - everything else in the class seemingly forgot about rear passengers and just put a slab of foam back there with some seat belts. The Forester seats are actually soft and supportive when you sit down and have back support... and the Touring trim ones recline a little (like an airplane seat). We figure we're going to be hauling kids in it for awhile so we should make sure they're going to be comfortable.

We skipped the Honda based on the looks. Never drove it because we didn't want to look at it. Exterior was weird (but not as bad as the Rav4) and the interior is just a black hole - no character, no contrasting colors, just black. Not for us.

We cross shopped the XT Touring, CX-5 AWD GT, and looked toward the BMW X1 and the Lexus NX200t but the lux brands were at least 10k more money to be outfitted the same and we didn't think it was worth it to get a "better" badge on the front at this point in our lives. Plus, BMW and Lexus weren't doing test drives at the auto show but Subie was, which won us over.

We just liked the looks, power, transmission, and interior of the XT Touring - it ticked all the boxes we'd ever want in a car at our price point ($30-35k). We splurged on Eyesight and nav because things like active cruise control help in traffic around here and collision avoidance would pay for itself after just one fender bender avoidance. Plus, the Harmon/Kardon stereo was a nice upgrade. And we wanted leather, and only the Forester offered brown leather in the non-luxury brands.

Overall, I think the '17 XT Touring is really punching above its weight class. Granted, I haven't driven a lux brand car, but I can't imagine they're *that* much better. The NX200t is just a tarted up Rav4 with a nice 4 cyl turbo for 240hp, so it can't be that much better, right?
wgb113, Fate, Gdaddy721 and 1 others like this.

2017 Forester XT Touring CWP/Saddle Brown Leather

Last edited by emptyminded42; 07-20-2016 at 03:00 PM.
post #14 of 593 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 08:00 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring 2.5
2017 Touring with EyeSight

I ordered my 2017 Forester Touring with EyeSight back in May, and unexpectedly received it on July 18. My dealer said they were showing up earlier than expected. I was especially surprised because some of the posters thought that 2017s with EyeSight wouldn't come in until Aug or Sept.

The SBL looks and feels great! When it was announced, I was expecting an upcharge to get it, but it is actually no extra cost on the Touring.

Ride noise is muted. There is a hint of wind noise starting at about 65 mph. Handling is great. I really like the open feeling of the cabin.

I haven't used all of the features yet, but so far the electronic controls have been very intuitive.

For the extra cost, I think the Touring level adds a lot of nice features from the Limited, including heated steering wheel, upgraded wheels and of course the SBL interior.

In summary, I'm very happy with my new Forester.
post #15 of 593 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 12:13 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: FXT Touring
I traded my 2016 FXT Premium for a 2017 FXT Touring. The Touring model is ridiculously over-priced for what little content you get, but I really like it. I especially like the look and feel of the brown leather. It's surprisingly comfy and I think it looks great. Who knew that simply adding some color contrast and a little stitching would make the interior seem so much nicer?

The main difference IMO is that the '17 is quieter, especially in terms of tire noise at low speeds over rough pavement. There's very little in the way of audible thumps and rumbles when driving over surfaces like rough concrete that usually induce a lot of noise and vibration. It seems like they really focused on the wheel arches and under the floor. I also think it feels like they did something to soften the bushings, too, or maybe the tires. Small and low frequency impact are so much less harsh now. Maybe they didn't change either of those items. Whatever they did, the result is good.

As for wind noise, the 2016 was already pretty quiet but the new one is even better.

Once thing I also noticed right away was that the front doors close with a muted thump, much like my former 2015 Outback did. I don't know what they did there but in any case the front doors (not so much on the rear) feel less hollow and tinny and are more like the Outback now.

Being a Touring model, mine has the steering-responsive LED headlights. The DRL light rings are pretty to look at, and the lights themselves are super bright. They should be standard in all models.
treeman, Gdaddy721 and techmba like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode