Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTB 06-08 Forester XT Sports/Limited HELP!

3K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  2.5x_sleeper 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone!

Long time Subaru owner, hopefully soon to be first time Fozzy owner. As some of you may have seen my other post, I am looking to buy a white 06-08 Forester XT Sports/Limited 5MT. Ideally, I would love to find a low mileage white Sport 5MT that has the proper mods done to it already by a reputable source.... I know right... the rarest of the unicorns = /

I am not looking for monstrous whp/ trq machine, just more than stock that will be a great DD for years to come. I don't have a very long daily commute, about 20 miles round trip per day for work. I know XT's don't get splendid mpg, but I'm in love with Subies and I know a Fozzy will be the most economical wagon going forward for my wife and I. I have no interest in anything past 08, manual tranny is a must living in CO and I am going to try and limit the driving during the winter as there are too many idiots on the roads that I am afraid will smash up my dream car, plus I have a 93 Leggy that does just fine.

I have a decent budget however not tons. It will be enough to get me into something. It's hard to gauge the market on 06-08 models in good shape depending on the mileage, where the car spent it's life/rust, mods, etc. Once I began researching into the generations of Foresters, it became disheartening obvious that everyone seems to have the same desire for the 07-08 Sports XT as I do. I know there are more 03-05 models around but I don't prefer the front end. I am trying to buy one for my 30th Bday which isn't for another year but I know the demand for these are great so I am ready and waiting to pounce on the right one if it comes up. I'm not in a rush but my obsession for getting one is a bit maddening.

So I turn to you guys.

I am looking at several options. I can luck out and find a white Sport with everything I am looking for which I am sure will cost a small fortune...I can find a Limited and convert it to a Sports with mods or I was tossing around the idea of picking up a cheap Sports X shell in great condition and throw in a new engine and tranny + mods (obviously that probably won't hold the same kind of value as buying a true Sports but its something I'm considering) What do you think that would cost for the 3rd option? Several thousand for a shell, 6k-ish for engine, 6k-ish for drive train, plus some hidden expenses? If I were to build it, I'm sure I would get a lot more whp/trq vs buying stock/mod vs stock engine rebuilt with performance mods. Plus the engine would be new. But at the same time I'm not looking for a massive project that will turn into a fortune as anytime you put money into upgrading a car. What would make the most sense? I don't like the idea of paying tons of a old Foz because they are rare but unfortunately that is the situation I am in. Like I said, I am looking for a dependable DD for years to come. It will not be tracked or abused. I just want a fun car that I love.

Please let me hear your advice, good or bad... I need to know. My wife will murder me if I make the wrong choice = D

Thanks for reading! I appreciate your time.

Brad

See less See more
#2 ·
Lots of good information can be found on cars101.com. :wink:

I actually prefer the early SG ('03-'05) to the facelift '06-'08 SG. The Limited came with more extras... like fog lights, power & heated seats, compared to the Sports, so you might want to research what you want, then you can start narrowing the search to a specific Forester.

If you get a '06-'08 limited, you can swap out the grille to a Sports grille... plug & play!

When I want to see what the going price for a vehicle is, I do a search on autotrader.com.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

Reactions: wrex002
#3 · (Edited)
Thanks Bobby, I appreciate the input. I like the features (heated leather seats/windshield etc) besides the fog lights of the Limited but I definitely want a Sports bumper/grill. If I were to get a Sports I'd replace all the interior with black leather, it's a cheap upgrade here in CO. So in that regards it easier to buy a Sports that has what I'm looking for and then replace the seats. I'm more concerned about cost of transforming vs buying already done. It seems it's always cheaper to buy it already done, given it may be to someone else's tastes. I'm more concerned about the engine/tranny build. Does it make more sense to get a super cheap shell and do it myself or try and find one already done but pay more for it because that what the market commands?

#4 ·
I'm not a fan of leather seats... too cold in the winter & too hot in the summer! :icon_eek:

The '07 FSXT I have came with black cloth seats with seat heaters, which is rare. We upgraded both our Forester to front STi seats. :biggrin:

A manual transmission may be difficult to find in the Sports. :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

#7 ·
I would focus on finding a 5MT that's in great mechanical shape and from there buy the sports plastics and paint the car. Yeah, it's not ideal, but buying a built/maintained vehicle someone else dumped money into and then painting is going to be way cheaper than the other way around. Plus you can get the perfect white, there are probably as many different white paints as there are colored paints. Or, ya know, patience, but nobody's got time for that.

#9 ·
OP, I saw you weren't considering the SG5s due to the front end. I wasn't either. After I bought my SG9, I discovered the JDM cross sports nose for the SG5. Do a google on it, you might change your mind, and 04-05s can be cheaper. 03s had rubber baby buggy bumpers on them... Whatever you do, I wouldn't bend on the 5MT that you want. Oh, and make sure it has a wing, they're not easy to add after the fact.

#11 ·
Thanks guys! I actually came across that front end swap last week. There is one specifically that I really do like..

https://www.jspecauto.com/engine_de...g5-2003-2008-cross-sport-front-end-conversion

I just don't like the big fogs but this JDM swap takes care of those.

Just wish I would have pulled my finger out and bought a mint 04 white 5MT Fozzy w/ 120k that was here in Boulder for $4.5k!!!! Ahhhhhhh!!! But it certainly opens up my searching certeria. Plus way cheaper than trying to track down the other Sports.

I really appreciate your input = )

#13 ·
If I do go the route of the SG5, is there any differences between the 04 and 05? Any upsides to one over the other? Think I'll go after one of those rather than the 03. I'm sure there's loads of info which I'll research, but would like to hear from fellow Foz enthusiasts = )

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.