What price would you pay for extended warranty? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester 2.5X Ltd
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default What price would you pay for extended warranty?

I'm buying a new 2011 Forester Limited and got the hard sell on the "genuine Subaru wrap around warranty." I know the prevailing wisdom is extended warranties aren't worth the money. Is there a price at which you would buy the 7 year extended warranty? If you have bought one recently, what did you pay?

Thanks (picking up the new 2011 blue Limited next week to replace my 1998 black Forester).
ChicagoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester x AT
Transmission: 4EAT
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Short answer for me $0
Long answer $650 wasted money!
I bought my 03 in mid 02. Dealer highly recommended (read pushed hard for it) but I refused thinking this is a brand new car, the manufactures warranty will cover everything. Just before my factory warranty ran out I decided to get the extended GOLD package warranty. (bells ringing angels singing)
1. Nobody in my family ever owned a Subaru so I had no prior knowledge of them.
2. I didn't learn about this site until 2010 (DUH) and I would have learned it is not necessary.
I have a NA engine as the turbo was not released yet. I doubt if it would make a difference
My two cents.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Premium
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Don't bother, save the cash for mods or "just in case". If it happens, you have the money to fix it. If not, you still have your money.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester

I’ve never purchased an extended warranty.

You are betting that you will need to pay for repairs. The dealer (or warranty company) is betting you won’t keep the car long enough to collect or they are betting you didn’t read the fine print to see what is actually paid for under a warranty claim.

Since I don’t buy extended warranties, I’m betting on not needing major repairs. The only time I lost that bet is on a 1999 Land Rover Discovery 2. My Forester replaced the Land Rover. I’m expecting to win that bet again.

In my search for a Forester, I stopped at this dealer that includes a lifetime warranty when you buy from them. Gerald Subaru of North Aurora I didn’t buy from them. The Subaru dealer in East Peoria made me an offer I couldn’t refuse.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Limited
Transmission: Auto w/nav

Do some research on extended warranties. Only you can determine whether it is worth it or not. Warranties are insurance. And insurance is all about how much risk are you willing to accept. Again, only you can answer that.

This site has some good hints EXTENDED WARRANTIES HOW TO BUY AN AUTO EXTENDED WARRANTY, AVOID SCAMS

You can't lump all extended warranties together. There are some scams and some legitimate ones.

Before considering any manufacturer's warranty, I would check the legitimate third party ones first. A Subaru warranty can be used only at Subaru dealerships. Are dealerships always the best place to have your car fixed? Some say yes, others say no. Depends on how you feel about your specific dealership.

There really is no cut and dried answer to the question "are extended auto warranties worth it?" Worth is a subjective concept and only you can determine if a warranty is worth it to you.

Good luck with it.

(and Luck favours the person who does the most research BTW) :)
Old 02-27-2011, 06:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester X Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
I'm buying a new 2011 Forester Limited and got the hard sell on the "genuine Subaru wrap around warranty." I know the prevailing wisdom is extended warranties aren't worth the money. Is there a price at which you would buy the 7 year extended warranty? If you have bought one recently, what did you pay?

Thanks (picking up the new 2011 blue Limited next week to replace my 1998 black Forester).
It's basically paying for a "what if". Just like car insurance... paying for full coverage or just liability.
Yes Subaru comes with a standard 3 year warranty it doesn't cover everything like the gold package does.
When I bought my 2011 Foz I also bought a 6yr/60k/$0 gold package for $1295 (I know the stealership ripped me on this one) but he didn't really leave me much of a choice. Either pay and get the package with the passive alarm/shock sensor and processing fee for $1600 or pay a ridiculous amount (was like $500 or $600) just for the dealer processing fee. After negotiating, he threw in free lifetime oil changes at his stealership.

I canceled it within 90 days and got my "full refund". I won't actually see a refund. It will just be taken off my principal amount since I financed. But either way, I won't be pay an extra $1295 for a package that I can get elsewhere for about $800. When I went back, the finance manager or sales manager didn't even recognize me so that shows you what kind of customer service they have.

And you always have 3 years to decide and shop around for the best price.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Outback Limited
Transmission: cvt

Set aside $50/mo in a separate account. In six years you have $3600 (plus interest) for unexpected major repairs. If you don't use it, reward yourself with a vacation.
Or is this a good deal?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Genui...iveQ5fServices
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: X

In Oz it's a total scam! Check your fine print. They get you to pay extra to make sure that you service your car where you bought it. If you take it elsewhere they void the warranty.
BaseCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Clearly, more people think it is a waste of money than worth it. My dealer throws in "free maintenance" and 25 free oil changes (no expiration). Their "sell" is regular warranty doesn't pay for synthetic oil and tire rotation, etc... and would get these with extended warranty. I am not DIY person so I will have to pay someone for these. My understanding is synthetic oil changes will cost me at least $50 and tire rotation another $40 so if I paid to do this yearly that's $90 a year. So for 7 years the cost is $630. My dealer wants twice that for the warranty (7 yrs/70,000 miles and $50 deductible), so the question for me is whether 7 years worth of insurance worth $90-$100 a year? I know Subarus are reliable, this is my 4th one since 1980, but I can't say I've never had repair costs. Unfortunately, I haven't tracked them well so I don't know what I paid in the first 7 years for my '98 Forester.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Gallery: 98
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
Clearly, more people think it is a waste of money than worth it. My dealer throws in "free maintenance" and 25 free oil changes (no expiration). r.
Insurance is just that..."Insurance. "
"Fix" your cost going forward. I have bought extended insurance twice. Both times I lost by couple hundred. But I had peace of mind and like I said a fixed cost.

So if you are comfortable getting it...go for it.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks all for your comment. What is really clear is if you do want to buy the warranty shop around, particularly this site and ebay.

I got great quotes from Grayson Subaru, substantially less than others. Basically for non turbo 4 speed Forester for 7 yr/ 70,000 miles (I'm a low mileage driver) can get Subaru Gold Plus with $50 deductible for $930 or $100 deductible for $835. I know for many warranty wouldn't be worth it. For me, it's insurance at about $10-$12 month. Probably will go for it.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Limited
Transmission: Auto w/nav

Also, if you wish to purchase a Subary extended waranty you don't have to purchase it from the dealer you got your car from. Shop around. A dealer across the country may choose to sell you the same waranty for a lot less.

But then you are stuck taking it to a Subaru dealership for repairs.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Shop around, there were (or are?) some places that will sell the subaru warranty and refund the cost if its never used. However I wouldn't pay much extra for one, and I wouldn't use it as part of the cost negotiations (ie buy it later, not as part of the purchase cost)
Old 03-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car Model: Forester
Cool Perhaps a better deal???

I just had a great experience with the following Subaru Dealership:

Roto Subaru
1555 E. Rand Road
Arlington Heights, IL
847-255-5700 Ext:290

I asked for a 7yr/70k $0 deductible extended warranty and paid $835 for my 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5x Premium. That was $200 less than what the "Mastria Subaru" offered (Mastria seems to show up about everywhere as a good one). I found this dealership through "Washington Checkbook.org". I was done with whole transaction in 10 minutes...Joe was top notch.

Best Regards, glyttek
glyttek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Foz 2.5X Limited
Transmission: 4EAT

You also don't have to buy the extended at purchase, you can buy it from subaru any time before 3years 36000 miles. Or you can get mechanical breakdown insurance from your insurance Co if they offer it.
mhochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping