USAA extended vehicle Protection plan VS Subaru Extended Service (GOLD) - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: automatic
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default USAA extended vehicle Protection plan VS Subaru Extended Service (GOLD)

Hey everyone,

New here still trying to get my bearings on this forum, I am noticing that regulars prefer an initial thread search before questions are asked. When I did that I didn't see anything about this so figured Id ask.

I have until Saturday to cancel my Subaru gold service plan ($100 ded, 7/70) that I paid 1,290 for from the dealer. Concerned that I may have gotten fleeced, I began researching.

I now see I can get USAA EVP for 6yr/75,000 miles $0 deductible for $1,095.68

I am curious What everyone's thoughts are anyone have experience with USAA EVP? I also see I can get the Subaru warranty cheaper online through other means as well AutomakerWarranty.com/subaru 7/70 $0 ded for 1,160. Either way I think i can get a better deal or possibly talk my dealer into giving me back some money (hopefully).
MDavisUSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS Premium
Transmission: MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I can't help you on this, but I'll post a link to your request on our The official military/veterans thread. You might catch the attention of some of our fellow USAA members there.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Seventh Sister
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 70
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 50 reviews

I don't know about USAA, but in general I would advise against 3rd party warranties. 3rd party insurers have been known to go bankrupt, and then your money is gone. Also, they have no vested interest in working with you in order to keep you loyal to the brand (i.e. they can deny a claim without worrying about you switching to a different manufacturer). I'd either stick with the OEM Subaru plan, or ditch the extended warranty altogether.
pleiad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Arrogant Pilot
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: V50 T5
Transmission: 6spd Manual
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Never seen the USAA one before... but I love their insurance.

Just because you mentioned 3rd party warranties...

I was offered an additional 7yr/50k mile coverage (on top of my car's current 63k miles) when I bought my Volvo a couple weeks ago... by some company I had never heard of, for the small price of $5400.
MudRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS Premium
Transmission: MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

USAA never screws its members! They will never go bankrupt! Then again, it is possible that they might have farmed this out to a third party. They did this once with aspects of the personal injury part of their coverage and it really bit them.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2002
Car Model: Forester L
Transmission: 5mt
Gallery: 3
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I had a poor experience with USAA. One of my cars, (fortunately not my subi) was hit by someone with USAA insurance...totally his fault. USAA outright refused to pay at first, inspite of a police report and photos that proved our claim, and it was minor damage at that, $1400-$1600. I had pre-paid legal at the time, and had a lawyer write a demand letter. When they received it, they folded like a house of cards and I had a check in less than a week, which makes me even angrier, because they should have just done the right thing in the first place.

Also, their 'prefered' body shop here in town does some of the worst work I've ever seen...I've had friends that were body and paint men so I know. Their paint samples they had in their showroom were full of defects, and a friend had his car 'fixed' by them after an accident...they did a poor job of straightening the uni-body and replacing parts...there were big gaps around the door frames.

I also had a friend that worked there...it sounds to me like they screw over their own employees.
Subarjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
New User

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: bmw
Transmission: automatic
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default USAA extended vehicle protection are a bunch of crooks

Because the USAA warranty company refuses to pay for a covered item (vehicle transmission), I have been forced to lease another car, in addition to paying for the loan on a car that I cannot use. I owe $18,000 on this vehicle. I paid over $3500 for the USAA warranty coverage when I purchased my car in 2010. I have taken good care of this vehicle. I cannot afford to pay for a new transmission on a car that is only five years old (which they say they cannot cover because my FIVE year old BMW has rust) "LIES". The cost to replace the transmission needed for my car is over $9,000. I am having difficulty trying to keep up both my car loan and the lease payments on the second car.

The warranty company claims they wonít cover the transmission because they say rust caused the damage and they donít cover rust. The mechanic who examined my car said he believes the damage to the transmission is internal. A car as young as this one should not have transmission failure. I wonder how many other customers this warranty company has taken for a ride.

Stay away from USAA extended vehicle protection, I thought because they were a military supporting bank, that i wouldn't get robbed. But I was wrong. The mechanic in the Burdick's BMW actually told me that the Warranty company stated "Well, he only has 150 miles left on the warranty". *** really. You make your own choice of course, but I got the green weeny on this one.
sanchezc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: XT
Transmission: AT
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Rust caused transmission damage? That sounds like BS. What do they mean by that? The actual transmission rusted, or bodywork rust caused trans to fail, or what? Anyway, go after BMW. A five year old car should not have significant rust these days.

--Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping