Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

"Upgrade" 13 2.5XT Touring to 17 2.0XT Premium?

6K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Rand 
#1 ·
Hi all -

I purchased a 2013 2.5XT Touring back in September. At the time, it only had 15K miles. It's ski season, so I'm racking up the miles to and from Snowbird. It's nearly worn out now with 21K miles : )

This car is in fantastic shape. I can't imagine finding a 2013 with lower miles and in better condition. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being just rolled of the dealer lot, I'd give it a 9. IMHO, the 09-13 models have the best looking exteriors. I really miss the hood scoop on the newest generation!

Before purchasing, I imagined the 13 XT was my dream Subaru. However, I have a couple of gripes:

1) The 4 speed automatic transmission is archaic. I avoided the newest generation because of the CVT. But I'm now thinking the CVT might actually be an upgrade over the 4EAT. Too bad Subaru retired the MT for turbo models...
2) I knew this going in, but the gas mileage is poor. I get 20-21 mpg commuting back and forth to work. When most of my driving is up the canyon to go skiing, it drops to 18 mpg.
3) Flaky bluetooth.
4) Outdated interior.

I'm considering "upgrading" to a 17 2.0XT. I would love the XT Touring but it's more than I would like to spend. Right now, I've got a couple of XT Premiums that I'm looking at.

In your opinion is the 2.0XT Premium an upgrade or step down from my 13 XT Touring? I can get $23K on trade for my 13 and the new XT Premium will be $29K. So, this "upgrade" will cost me roughly $6K. What makes more sense financially? I feel like my 13, strictly due to it's age, is going to depreciate more rapidly over the next several years than the 17 would.

I think the 17 Premium has most of the features as my 13 Touring, right? My 13 has everything except navigation. I don't want navigation - I'd prefer to use my phone. Additionally, I will not be spending the extra money for Eye Sight, so let's take that off the table.

Lastly, I'd like to find a car for the long haul - think 10 years / 150K miles. I thought I found this with my 13 XT touring. Truth be told, I have a hard time bonding with used cars, even if they are very gently used. I always seem to have better luck holding onto new cars for the long haul.

Keep it or trade it? What would ya'll do?

See less See more
#2 ·
I would do this trade without hesitation. You will lose the leather interior and you would have to add the Kicker sound system to be like-for-like on the audio. Otherwise a 17 FXT Premium has many of the features of your Touring model. Here are the things I would consider:

1. The transmission. You mentioned it first and you're right. This is a no brainer. It's surprisingly smooth and responsive and you'll get much better MPG.

2. The 2.0DIT engine. There's a reason it's been recognized as one of the best engines in the world. Also a no brainer.

3. The interior. Another item you already mentioned and you're right. Not the best one on the market but much nicer than the pre-2014 cars.

4. Quietude. There will be times when you'll really appreciate the lower road and wind noise in the 2017 model.

5. Tech. Another item you mentioned. Foresters have historically lagged behind their competitors in this area, but that all changed in '16 with the big touch screen, rear view camera, etc.

6. Resale value. Subarus are always great on resale and you'll always get more for the new generation car.

7. Warranty. Maybe not a big thing but it's nice knowing you have 3 years of bumper-to-bumper coverage and 5 years or 60K miles on the drivetrain.

#3 ·
This is my third winter going up the LCC and BCC in my 15 Forester XT. I find the CVT and turbo combo very hard to beat. The extra power is great in the passing zones while the paddle shifters do a fantastic job of keeping the speed reasonable without riding the brakes on the steeper downhill sections.
I run a separate set of 17" wheels with winter tires. I have never had an issue with traction, watching the others spinning wheels going up is quite funny sometimes, and other times maddening that people are so ill prepared for the winter driving.
I have about 24k on my Forester, only oil changes and routine maintenance. I find that the engine is very sensitive to fuel quality, runs much better on Shell 91 than the Smiths 91.
I would check the drivers seat to make sure you fit in it well, probably the single most annoying issue in the new Foresters in my opinion.
Good luck!

#6 ·
I HATE the 4EAT transmission. HATE, HATE, HATE it to death. I didn't get a XT back then because of that. I opted for a '15 WRX which is fantastic, but I need more utility. I'll be selling (private party) my WRX and getting a 17/18' XT Touring this summer at some point.

#8 ·
"Upgrade" 13 2.5XT Touring to 17 2.0XT Premium?

Thanks for the replies. You guys are echoing my sentiments. Still not sure what I'm going to do though... Turns out $23,200 for my trade is bogus. The sales girl pulled that out of KBB and didn't get any input from the used car manager. I've had several dealers give me real offers at $20,000. I bought the car in September with only 15K miles, and I paid top dollar. If I recall correctly $24K and change. I know, I know. But it was in perfect shape and practically brand new. I THOUGHT it would be a 10 year car, so I didn't mind paying a premium to get exactly what I wanted. I had no idea at the time about the lousy 4EAT transmission. I should have done a little more research. But who would've guessed new car manufacturers were still making 4 speed automatics in 2013 lol. Anywho, at $20K, I'm taking a bigger loss than I care to stomach. What to do... I'm thinking about selling it privately. I know I can do a lot better than $20K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I feel your pain. Last year I bought the sweetest, most amazing 09 Outback 3.0R. Super low original miles, showroom new condition, etc etc. I paid top dollar for it thinking it was "the one" because it was the car I'd always wanted but couldn't afford when it was new.

Turns out I had made my decision based more on the idea of it, versus the reality of it. It started to become clear just how awful/outdated the technology and transmission was, and how it was a real compromise overall. I sold it and lost $2000.

On the upside, I got a 2016 FXT Premium and loved it!

#10 ·
It all depends on what you are doing with the vehicle.
If you are just driving it and keeping it stock I would upgrade to the SJ
But if you are going in any sort of modding direction (power wise) id stay with the SH.
The CVT isnt good when it comes to power and the 4EAT although being super outdated can hold a good amount of power. Also running the EJ with UEL headers an exhaust gives that iconic subaru rumble, and easy power upgrades over stock.

But again, all depends on what you are doing with it.
If you want something to cruise back and forth from point A to B get the SJ because they are a more refined machine, with a MUCH better interior.
I wouldnt dare get rid of my 13 XT for an SJ... but thats me. I love my SH

#12 ·
This is a commuter, not a project. Regardless of which I choose, I won't be doing any mods.

A Subaru dealer about 50 miles from home called me back last night. They are getting really aggressive on my trade and price. So much so that I made the drive today to check out a couple 2.0 XT Premiums on their lot. I took one for a 30 minute test drive. Honestly, I was a little disappointed. I thought for sure that I would love the new model and - hands down - prefer it over my 13. Although I do like the CVT more than the 4EAT, I still don't love it. Subaru really needs to give us an XT with 6 speed manual : ) I don't want to spend more than $27-$29K, so I'm stuck in Premium territory. The fit and finish on the 17 Premium seems like a step down from my 13 Touring. After spending a bit of time in the cockpit, I think I actually prefer the overall look and feel - minus the shifting - of the 13.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the 17. I'm just not sure it's worth it to me to shell out another $6K or so to get a newer car, especially with a lower trim level.

I'm really on the fence. That dealer seems to want my trade. They also are pretty aggressive with the 17 price. I wonder though if I might end up unhappy with the 17 (wishing I had splurged on the Touring maybe) down the road?

I also did something else CRAZY yesterday. I test drove a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab V6 4X4. Because the platform is outdated, they come with huge discounts. The dealer had a 6 speed manual on the lot. I really miss driving a stick. The Nissan OTD ends up being a bit cheaper than the Forester. Total different direction, I know. But something I'm considering.

#14 ·
Agreed, there's no way I'd keep an out-of-warranty '13 Touring if I could trade it for a new '17 Premium and pay less than $10K.

There's not much about the old one that's better than the current one. Subaru went to great lengths to address customer concerns about things like fit/finish, technology, and materials quality. Every tester that reviewed the new-for-2014 car commented on how much of a step up it was. If you view it as a step down, then you'd be well advised to keep yours. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

#15 ·
have you considered a 2017 fb25 6mt?

might just want to drive one.. but the 6mt isnt the greatest.. then again it is a manual transmission.

Maybe go in a different direction with that much commuting

how about a Cruze Diesel hatchback 6mt or a kia niro

50mpg is always nice..

and I'd take winter tires and fwd over awd on stock tires

If subaru offered an XT with manual I'd buy one
I would also purchase a wrx hatchback.

#17 ·
My first Subie was a 06 Forester with manual transmission. After driving the turbo, I don't think I would be happy going back to the N/A. I'm also worried about oil consumption with the manual transmission models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.