Turbo worth it? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester 2.5 Touring
Transmission: AT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Turbo worth it?

Going to test drive this weekend. Just wondering if its worth it to get the XT? My wife and I are deciding between the 2.5 Touring or the 2.0XT touring.

Pros:
- More aggressive front end
- Better looking 18" wheels (although the 2015 touring also gets 18s)
- More power

Cons:
- Worse mpg
- How reliable are Subaru turbos?
- Premium gas vs regular

Thoughts?
MysticblueX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: 2.0XT Limited
Transmission: CVT
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Depends on your driving style and wallet. Premium gas adds up. I have the turbo and think I'd have been just as happy with the NA.
lwerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: Forester XT

If your listing Premium gas on your con list, then probably don't get the XT. Premium was not even on my list of things to consider when I purchased my XT. I was looking at power, performance, features and styling. so glad I did get an XT, no regrets here.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
bLaZe_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Admin
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

This is a very contentious issue around here. The last thread on this exact same topic was a mess, but it is probably worth reading.

Turbo - worth it or not?

Here are some other threads on the same topic worth reading.

Will I regret if I Don't get TURBO
2014 FXT Maintenance Costs over NA
Anybody using regular fuel in XT?
XT? Worth it?

If your top two reasons for wanting the XT are the styling of the bumper and wheels, and you don't care as much about power and drivablility, get a 2.5i and you can swap the bumpers over.

Subaru has a long history with turbos. I would trust Subaru's turbo engines more than other brands such as Ford who are newer to the turbo game.

You have to pay to play. If you want the enhanced driving experience of the XT, you will have to live with the reduced economy and premium at the pump. Do not get an XT if you plan to run regular fuel. Your economy will be significantly lower than on premium, and your power will be substantially lower.

My Fuelly
My Journal

GeoJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I would have never bought a Forester if it didn't have the turbo as an option.
Japam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

A B S O L U T E L Y
Old 03-15-2014, 11:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Turbo also has a sportier suspension for what its worth. Test drive both and see if you could live with 180ish hp. The 2.5 is too slow especially when hauling things and people.
Iceman112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: forester XT touring
Transmission: auto
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)

I think the mpg is great! I like to have a fun, great driving machine and that's why I went with the XT!
04caliwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 14
Car Model: Forester 2.0XT

I just got the XT.......my opinion, if you like the rush of getting thrown into your seat when rolling on the throttle out of a corner then YES! The turbo makes this into the sweetest sleeper out there. I'd say go for it.
ChuckWeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Gallery: 98
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)

I think most people that bought a turbo are very happy they did. I also think that most people that bought an NA are happy with their purchase. The percentage of people on this board that bought turbo are very much higher than the percentage of turbos sold in the U.S. If you are performance oriented and feel you can afford the turbo..go for it. If you are like me and feel you want the benefits of a subaru without the go-fast requirement go with the X.

I own a sentra 2001 SE with the SR20DE engine. This engine was considered a performance engine and one of the best engines ever built. My 2008 X will beat my SE..take it from there. I also owned a 1969 Camaro 4 speed. I would say that my Subaru would give it a run for its money. The "X' is not a slow vehicle.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: XT Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)

How was your test drive of the vehicles?

When I begin shopping for a new vehicle it was the Forester vs CX-5 vs Outback did not even consider the turbo. Then I started looking at the BMW X1 turbo, premium gas (rated 33mpg highway, not going to get it see fuelly) it was expensive with no options, small storage, and a real stupid cup holder for the front passenger. So I decided if I was willing to buy that and buy premium gas I took a second look at the Forester this time the XT.

I placed my order yesterday for a 2015 XT Premium but my reasons will most likely not help you in your decision and shouldn't. My reasons premium gas is 20 cents higher then regular so I will spend $3 to $4 more a week. I wanted performance I have been driving eco-boxes for the past 8 years some fun but always lacking in power. And finally this is the fastest growing segment in vehicle sales in the USA with the CX-5, CR-V, Rav-4, Rogue, etc. yet in the past year I have yet to see a XT on the road so I will not see myself coming and going.

Good luck in your decision.
cjecpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Default turbo

I'm not too sure about those mpg figures subaru is posting. You would think the 2.0 engine on the highway would use less gas than the 2.5 engine turbo or not. At a constant highway speed the engine is barely under load so the turbo won't be producing boost. First I would say you have to think about your driving style. If you have a heavy foot and want good MPG then you should go for the NA 2.5. Other than that it's a toss up on which one you want. As for turbo life that also depends on your driving style and pampering habits. If your the type of person that doesn't keep up with oil changes and maintenance then a turbo car is not what you want. The life of a turbo can be cut really short if you don't keep clean oil in the car. Turbos don't last forever and I found that with the 2 foresters I had they started to die around 60k-70k miles. I can't speak for the 2014 & 2015 models because the turbo are now provided by garrett (honeywell). With all of that said, subaru makes a good 2.5 na. Very torquey so under city driving you won't notice the difference between the 2 engines unless your drag racing from light to light. You really notice the difference merging on highways and passing cars. I could go on and on but I personally love the turbo engine, it does everything good.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5 Touring
Transmission: AT

So I went for a test drive today. Test drove both the 2.5 touring and the XT touring back to back. Had my wife and the sales guy in the car. The 2.5 was first. Acceleration off the line was fine for city driving. Jumping on the highway was a little sluggish. Definitely faster than my wife's Prius (which the Forester will be replacing). But I'm use to driving my 135i so its all relative. To my wife, the acceleration probably felt amazing. Did some hard acceleration from 60-80mph and that too felt sluggish. I'm thinking I probably won't be doing a lot of passing in the mountains. Overall, the 2.5 drove and handled great. Don't get me wrong, I think the car has plenty of power. I'm just use to driving my 135i.

Now its time to try the XT. I was surprised by how little difference there was. I mean the difference is noticeable. But its not the night and day difference I thought it would be. So in the end I just don't think it's worth the up front cost, the added fuel price, the drop in mpg and the hassle of a turbo. If I didn't have my 1er, I would probably get the XT.

So I think we are probably going to put an order for a 2015 2.5 touring in white w/ popular package 2 (auto dimming interior/exterior mirrors, cargo net, bumper cover) and the GPS/isight package. Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
MysticblueX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticblueX3 View Post
So I went for a test drive today. Test drove both the 2.5 touring and the XT touring back to back. Had my wife and the sales guy in the car. The 2.5 was first. Acceleration off the line was fine for city driving. Jumping on the highway was a little sluggish. Definitely faster than my wife's Prius (which the Forester will be replacing). But I'm use to driving my 135i so its all relative. To my wife, the acceleration probably felt amazing. Did some hard acceleration from 60-80mph and that too felt sluggish. I'm thinking I probably won't be doing a lot of passing in the mountains. Overall, the 2.5 drove and handled great. Don't get me wrong, I think the car has plenty of power. I'm just use to driving my 135i.

Now its time to try the XT. I was surprised by how little difference there was. I mean the difference is noticeable. But its not the night and day difference I thought it would be. So in the end I just don't think it's worth the up front cost, the added fuel price, the drop in mpg and the hassle of a turbo. If I didn't have my 1er, I would probably get the XT.

So I think we are probably going to put an order for a 2015 2.5 touring in white w/ popular package 2 (auto dimming interior/exterior mirrors, cargo net, bumper cover) and the GPS/isight package. Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
Little difference??? Were you being conservative with the pedal b/c the salesman was in the car.....and did you have the car in Intelligent mode and not sports or sports sharp?? I say this because....unless something was wrong with the XT you drove....there is definitely more than a "little difference"......
Old 03-17-2014, 05:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.0XT Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japam View Post
I would have never bought a Forester if it didn't have the turbo as an option.
^This.
I had a V6 RAV4 and didn't even consider the new design because the V6 option was dropped. I met a manager from a Toyota/Lexus dealer just after I bought the RAV4 who raved on and on about how stupid it was to offer that car with a V6 because nobody would buy the Lexus RX350 as a result...I guess his take on things won out with the new design.
That said, I was very interested in the MT "2014 SUV Of The Year" writeup's summary of acceleration comparing the 2.5 and 2.0 turbo...they had the 2.5 being slightly quicker than the turbo up to (I think) 30mph. Then the turbo blew the 2.5 away, and it was far quicker at their highway passing test, too. They also mentioned that a very short rollout dropped the time up to 60mph dramatically for the turbo. I don't remember if they said which of the 6 modes they used for the turbo testing (I, S, S# in auto or paddle). Anyway, I could see a test drive comparing the two engines resulting in the two not feeling very different if you didn't spend much time on the highway.
I read the article at my Subaru dealer and promptly ordered a back issue because I wanted to have the info for myself. There is an online summary of the article, but most of the points I was interested are not included there.
Virtus_Probi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping