Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Switch to Subaru XT

5K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  Timmerton 
#1 ·
A few months ago I bought a 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring and now I feel is under powered. I have not put more than 3,000 miles on the car. Do you think I can take it back to the dealer and pay for an XT? Suggestions?

#6 ·
Of course you can take it back to a dealer, and buy a XT.

If you're asking if you can "return" it, and just pay the difference is MSRP, no. Your car can no longer be sold as new, and you'll likely take a considerable hit if you try and trade it in, or sell private party.

But, you may be surprised at the trade in value, or difference in cost. It's be worth a trip to your dealer to see.

#8 ·
Before I take it back I would get some competitive quotes from several dealers without getting a trade in number or giving any information on the trade-in. Get the best purchase price then go in and see what the trade-in allowance is from each. I would at least get two dealers to agree to a low price and use the trade-in value from each dealer to determine from whom you will purchase it.

#10 ·
You're going to take a big hit - cars lose a ton of value when they drive off the lot the first time, and dealers make way more money on used cars than new. Getting a good deal is a bit of an art, and involves a lot of time. I suggest you go start a 'relationship' with a sales guy, but don't buy a car right away. Come back a few times. Lead him on. The more times you walk away the better the deal will be in the end. Of course dealers are also good at this game so don't fall into their traps.

I am somewhat concerned that you will be in the same boat (feeling underpowered) even with an XT after a few months of ownership. XT is quick but it's not a rocket. So in addition to looking at XT, go test drive BMW X1 xDrive35i or X3 xDrive35i, depending on which size suits you best. I must warn you - you may fall in love. BMW has a great CPO program that may score you a great deal with a nice warranty.

Please do report back where you end-up.

#20 ·
Thanks for the fantastic tips. I am gonna make a visit and try out and see what can be done. While I was test driving the Forester I felt what you have previously mentioned. I thought the XT and regular version where not that different in terms of power. However the XT version lets you use two different modes and gives you the option of shifting gears and I think that give the driver more control over the car in terms of acceleration. The 2.5i model does not give you manual shifting or paddle shifters so that changes a lot of things.

My previous car was a 2006 V8 mustang GT which might be another reason I feel the Forester is under powered. I do wanna test drive the X1 and X3.

#11 ·
I don't think you'll take that large of a hit. I read (here?) about a guy who took a XV crosstrek to trade with between 1-3k miles on it and only took a $300 hit. I just KBB'd my XT and at 9300 miles it has only taken a $1000 hit off of what I paid for it. Subaru's hold value better than any car I've seen before.

I'm sure your dealer will be happy to cut you a deal because they then get to move another car and get a used one in to (probably easily) sell.

#12 ·
Subaru GTP

Subaru has a guaranteed trade in program. Google it on line and put your VIN number in and they will give you an appraisal. It generally is about $500 higher than Edmunds or Kelley Blue Book.

Then try and buy the new car with with the Subaru VIP Partnership Program although some of the Sponsors require a 6 month membership wait. That being said you should be able to buy the new car at 2% under invoice and get GTP for your trade.

I would hold the car as long as you can as the 2016's will probably have the new infotainment head unit and next Gen Eyesight. Also the longer you keep the car the flatter the depreciation curve.

#13 ·
Edmunds lists depreciation first year at $5k. There is no way it's going to be $300 because the dealer has to turn around and sell it, and to make a few K on it.

http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/forester/2014/tco.html?style=200441858

Subaru has a guaranteed trade in program. Google it on line and put your VIN number in and they will give you an appraisal. It generally is about $500 higher than Edmunds or Kelley Blue Book.
Didn't know about that. Would love to hear how this turns out.

#15 ·
I traded up out of my 13 2.5X Premium to my XT recently and was both happy and a little surprised at the trade I was able to muscle out of the dealer. After two years and 12000 miles I lost $2K on my trade. This on top of the deal I received on my XT, I couldn't refuse. Best of luck and don't rely on the Subaru guarantee trade in program- it's a low ball figure.

#28 ·
Yeah for me the X1 was just a bit small back-seat wise for two child seats. It was only marginally larger than my prior car - a Juke, which was just barely large enough for one kid in the back (middle position). If size is not an issue and desired options can work out just right, the price can be very close, and there are tricks to getting BMWs surprisingly cheaply, like European Delivery and Multiple Security Deposits (on a lease).

#31 ·
Yeah for me the X1 was just a bit small back-seat wise for two child seats.
I somehow convinced my wife that X1 will be ok for 2 car seats, which is definitely not :)
I am not into CPO or leasing but I was seriously considering 3.0T in X1. I tried that engine in X3, and I can't compare it to anything else...
X1 with that engine (and better brakes than 2.0T) will be really "ultimate driving machine" for me...

#29 ·
The X1 just add a different color, power seats, heated seats and one of the three trim lines and ends up around $38 to $40k for the XDrive28i.
I think the next generation starts out front wheel drive so if you were going to buy a RWD only version better get them now.

#32 ·
I think the next generation starts out front wheel drive so if you were going to buy a RWD only version better get them now.
I saw that as well. But we knew that it is coming: electric steering,
FWD based architecture and FWD biased AWD...
But it will have better interior space for same reason, and most today's BMW customers will appreciate that more than handling....

#37 ·
Sorry to hijack your thread :)
BTW, I really like my XT, much more than I ever expected. Design is very generic (which I don't mind) but I find it very unique. I used to like old SAABs a lot :)
It looks very common that there is significant number of people that can afford comparable but more expensive vehicles (like BMW) but at the end finish with XT. That can be only good sign...
You will get decent trade in value on your 2.5, and if you can easy afford it, go for XT. Life is short :)

#36 ·
Yeah agreed - the current X1 is a unique car with its old school steering and powerful RWD-biased AWD drivetrain in a small wagonesque package. It will be missed. I am loving this discussion - I wasn't sure if I was the only one who cross-shopped a Subaru against a BMW.

#39 ·
I paid 33 K and change back in March of 2013 for my 2014 XT. Car listed for a little more than 36K. The GUARANTEED Trade in Program had Subaru Pricing around 30K this past December so thats a 3-3500 hit after 22 months! There is no way there would be a 5K hit. DO NOT USE EDMUNDS. Look up your GTP using your VIN number and go from there. If its lower than Edmunds go with Edmunds. If its higher find a dealer that will give you the Subaru GTP Value.

#40 ·
I think the key is getting a good price on the XT up front. Then get a trade-in value from the dealer. Then weigh in the price of your happiness versus any loss value on your trade-in. I have taken plenty of hits on vehicles in the past where I thought I wanted a particular model (especially used cars) and later regret my choice only to trade it in sooner than later.

#41 ·
I'm kind of wondering the same thing, but not for an XT, and I haven't even purchased the vehicle yet.

I'm looking to buy a 2015 2.5L Premium with Eyesight, and I currently have what seems to be a great price on one for $24,800.

The only thing that makes me hesitate is that I want the next gen Eyesight and updated entertainment console that will most likely come out with the 2016 model. So I'm wondering if I did decide to trade in a year later or even sooner how much of a hit I would take. From what I'm hearing it seems like I could expect a pretty decent trade in value should I decide to do that.

#42 ·
I'm kind of wondering the same thing, but not for an XT, and I haven't even purchased the vehicle yet.

I'm looking to buy a 2015 2.5L Premium with Eyesight, and I currently have what seems to be a great price on one for $24,800.

The only thing that makes me hesitate is that I want the next gen Eyesight and updated entertainment console that will most likely come out with the 2016 model. So I'm wondering if I did decide to trade in a year later or even sooner how much of a hit I would take. From what I'm hearing it seems like I could expect a pretty decent trade in value should I decide to do that.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.