20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: None
Car Model: None
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I Order a 2017 or a 2018?

Should I order a 2017 2.5i or wait and order a 2018? The only reason I know of for waiting is that I would like to have paddle shifters. They're on the XT now and on the Canadian 2.5i models. What do you think the odds are that they will put the paddle shifters on the 2.5i in '18? Any other reasons for waiting? I'm in no big hurry, so I could wait if it meant getting what I want.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:41 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: Crosstrek
I think the presumption is that 2018 won't see many changes for the forester. They just did a refresh last year so maybe they add some color options and a couple features but i wouldn't expect anything major this year.

Personally I'm holding out in hopes that carplay gets added, but that doesn't seem likely with a redesign in 2019 or 2020.

cwescapexlt4x4 likes this.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:52 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester Touring 2.5
Transmission: CVT
Garage
I would see POSSIBLY Subaru adding ACP/AA to the 18's as the Impreza and Legacy are getting it .... and possible OB's since they are the same headunits.
dawgMobile likes this.

17 Forester Touring 2.5i
16 Explorer Limited

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:00 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: cvt
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheRide View Post
Should I order a 2017 2.5i or wait and order a 2018? The only reason I know of for waiting is that I would like to have paddle shifters. They're on the XT now and on the Canadian 2.5i models. What do you think the odds are that they will put the paddle shifters on the 2.5i in '18? Any other reasons for waiting? I'm in no big hurry, so I could wait if it meant getting what I want.

Many folks have been puzzled with the SOA decision to NOT offer paddles or manual control on the 2.5i Forester. That befuddlement goes back all the way to the 2014 model, and there has been moaning each year ever since. Even so, a fair number of Forester owners think that is fine - they never use manual control and could care less. Bottom line is IMO, SOA deems it a smart choice to save a few bucks for the company so I wouldn't bet on 2018 to have them.

Sort of the kind of amoral thinking this can spawn, I hated not having manual control on my 2.5 so I traded it in on an XT. Subaru wins, as I bought two vehicles where one would do if it had what I needed.

I don't trust corporations to do anything in our best interests.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: None
Car Model: None
Thank you for the responses. I agree, there probably won't be any body changes on the '18--just a few bell and whistle changes to the inside.

Back to my particular gripe...since Subaru puts paddle shifters on three out of the four 2.5i trims in Canada, it's not a technical reason that it isn't done here with that engine. Why do the marketing gurus at Subaru think that we're different here in the U.S. compared to Canada? (By the way, we love Canada--traveled there many times.) Even if Subaru put them on just the Touring trim in the U.S., it might increase their sales of that trim. Thanks for listening to my rant.
treeman and EJH like this.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:24 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Garage
When does the order window for 2018 Foresters open? [Old man rant] I don't understand why the build dates don't even remotely correspond to the model year of cars anymore!!

Forester for life!
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:06 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Honda Odyssey
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotten View Post
When does the order window for 2018 Foresters open? [Old man rant] I don't understand why the build dates don't even remotely correspond to the model year of cars anymore!!
I'd love to know predictions to those who followed production rollout in the past. From what I could gather model year announcements start around March.. but that is a rough estimate -
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:08 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheRide View Post
Thank you for the responses. I agree, there probably won't be any body changes on the '18--just a few bell and whistle changes to the inside.

Back to my particular gripe...since Subaru puts paddle shifters on three out of the four 2.5i trims in Canada, it's not a technical reason that it isn't done here with that engine. Why do the marketing gurus at Subaru think that we're different here in the U.S. compared to Canada? (By the way, we love Canada--traveled there many times.) Even if Subaru put them on just the Touring trim in the U.S., it might increase their sales of that trim. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Exactly.

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:34 AM
EJH
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester XT
Americans are more cost sensitive than most others. I'd guess the lack of paddle shifters is a way to get the 2.5L models a little cheaper. That said, our 2016 Crosstrek Limited trim has paddle shifters, so Subaru's logic is confusing.

I'm with EJ above and have no ideal how one drives the 2.5 US models down mountain grades without manual control. It isn't safe to ride the brakes all the way down, especially if there is snow.

As for what to expect on the 2018s, I'd say nothing. We debated between a 2016 or 2017 Crosstrek last year (2017 is the last model year of the current design, like 2018 will be for the Foresters). Subaru had zero changes for the 2017 Crosstrek, so we went 2016. I expect the same for the Forester's last year.
dawgMobile likes this.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:15 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJH View Post
Americans are more cost sensitive than most others. I'd guess the lack of paddle shifters is a way to get the 2.5L models a little cheaper. That said, our 2016 Crosstrek Limited trim has paddle shifters, so Subaru's logic is confusing.

I'm with EJ above and have no ideal how one drives the 2.5 US models down mountain grades without manual control. It isn't safe to ride the brakes all the way down, especially if there is snow.

As for what to expect on the 2018s, I'd say nothing. We debated between a 2016 or 2017 Crosstrek last year (2017 is the last model year of the current design, like 2018 will be for the Foresters). Subaru had zero changes for the 2017 Crosstrek, so we went 2016. I expect the same for the Forester's last year.

I suspect I am beating a horse long dead, but my recent experience driving up into the snow zone confirms your observation. We took a trip to "see the snow" a couple of weeks ago when the south got heavy ice and snow. Going up and down the steep grade the temperature was dropping into the 20's and the rain turned into snow and the road iced up. I slowed the XT, put the shifter into "S" manual, and began to work the gears carefully on the tight hairpins without jacking the brakes. Paddles seemed absolutely essential to my safety. Even as it was, I worried because I had the OE tires still.

It worked out fine, although I was nervous and my wife was pretty scared as the slopes were extreme. Without manual control who knows, but I believe I would have been in deep. Had a Acura go off the road into a ditch right in front of me on another flatter run.

EJ

EJH likes this.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 09:24 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i Prem
Garage
I have a 2017 Forester - all I can say is before you buy a 2017 or 2018, be sure you do a good test drive and pay attention to the CVT behavior - many including myself are reporting the "shuddering" issue with the updated CVT on the 2017. I can only hope they'll have that fixed before they release the 2018 model - the dealers are aware of it but the factory has no fix so far...just a heads up.
dawgMobile and Sub001 like this.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 11:43 AM
Forum Member

No issues with my 17 XT's CVT.
cwescapexlt4x4 and treeman like this.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 05:40 AM
Forum Member

Garage
zero issues with our 2.5i CVT either

17 Forester Touring 2.5i
16 Explorer Limited
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 06:19 AM
Forum Member

Transmission: Automatic
Zero issues with my 2017 Forester 2.5i CVT.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 08:10 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 17
Car Model: Touring XT
Zero issues also with my CVT, late 2017 build date 2.0 XT Touring - US market model
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode