Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

purchased a 3rd party warranty-now what?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  securityguy 
#1 ·
We incorrectly assumed the extended warranty we purchased at the dealer was a Subaru plan. We now realize the plan is actually 3rd party. As far as I know we were not offered a Subaru plan. The plan we got was 7yr/70000, $100 deductible and on top of that we wrote it into the financing aggreement.
The Fianance guy told us that this would be honored at any dealer but after reading all these papers , it seems like this is true BUT if you use another dealer you have to go through a process to obtain authorization prior. This is too much of a hassle. I want a plan where if i need something done, I can do to any Suburu dealer -simple, DONE!
IN order to cancel I have to contact my dealer for instructions . (still waiting for a return call). and money will be return to Finance company only. I assume it comes off the balance of loan much like an additional payment.
Just seems like this is complicated and my gut feeling is to try and get out of this.
The warranty company is Fidelity Warranty Services, inc.-anyone have any experience with canceling or with this company. I would appreciate any feedback including anyone that may think this warranty is ok to keep.
Thanks

#2 ·
If you're within the 60 day buyer's remorse period, & since it was bundled with the purchase, the dealer is obligated to clean it up for you. If they give you any hassle, tell them your alternative is to return the car & cancel everything for a full refund. Even if you like the car, you're better off starting over with a clean slate.

Then let them know if you do have to start over, you will want a 3% discount from the original deal for your trouble. I expect they will try to satisfy you on the existing deal.

If they won't work it out for you, contact your state's consumer protection bureau.

#4 ·
UPDATE:
First off , I failed to mention- the dealer we bought the car at is NOT the dealer we would be using for service due to distance.
the finance person called back and confirmed that it was a third party contract. However he said that if we were concerned and felt more comfortable with a Subaru policy -no problem , he would just swap them. He did say that the one we purchased was reliable and accepted at most dealers. I called service at the dealer we would be using and they said absolutely no issues at all -they work with them all the time. and they are ok.
I think they must make more money on 3rd party warranties that's why they promote these. (I have read this before).
But at least we can change it if we decide that.
Thanks everyone!

#7 ·
My suggestion:

See what the Subaru Dealer will sell the Gold Plus plan for. The RETAIL price on the Suby warranty for 7/70 at $100 deductible is $1390 so already $10 cheaper than your 3rd party and you get the factory Suby plan. If you contact Planet Subaru and buy it through them, you can, most likely save another $300. The 6/80K I had them price for me was $1090 and it retails for $1390 (same as the 7/70) so a savings of $300. Worth it IMO to go with the factory Gold Plus and it will save you $300 to boot. Hope this helps. Call David Spellman, Jaime McGuinness or James Greene (Finance Managers) at Planet Subaru 781-826-4444.

#11 ·
This same thing just happened to me actually. After the dealer didn't return my emails, I ended up just going down to talk to them in person. They were very nice and fixed in about 10 mins. Gave me a bunch of excuses, about how there customers love the 3rd party warranty, and this one is different, blah. Ended up getting the Subaru warranty exchanged and the loan amount fixed, no problems. Although I should have tried to negotiate the warranty price, didn't realize you could. :/

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.