Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Forester XT Changes - Timing Belts, Chains, Trans Options

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Fate 
#1 ·
Greetings friends, it's been a while.

I'm considering a newer car with my 06 FXT approaching 190k miles. I was looking at the Audi Q5, Audi RS wagons, Mercedes GLK and exploring other options until I heard Subaru finally got rid of that damn rubber timing belt on all 2011+ models. (I believe that's correct)

A rubber belt does not belong on an interference engine that can damage valves if it breaks or slips. After losing a belt on a previous FXT at only 88k miles, I have my current belt checked frequently.

On the tranny... It seems they kept the 4EAT from the SG generation clear through 2013? Were any upgrades done to it through those years?

I've been waiting for them to put something like VW's DSG gearbox (dual sequential manual that has an "automatic" mode) in a forester, offering an STI version in the US but it seems Fuji thinks Americans only care about OHV lanes, safety and kids. I want safety, kids and 0-60 < 5 seconds. If I only cared about safety and carpooling why the would I even bother with an XT?

How's the CVT? Has anyone here driven one as well as VW's DSG?

See less See more
#2 ·
I just traded a 2010 VW GTI (w/ DSG) for a 2014 FXT Premium. The CVT is fine. It's not much different than the VW DSG when it's not in Sport Mode. When the FXT is in Sport or Sport# mode it's a whole different animal. Love it. It takes some time to adjust to the sound/feel of the CVT in it's "Intelligent" mode. Even though I know the engine isn't bogging down/clutch is slipping - it took me a few weeks to lose that panicked feeling when the engine hangs at one RPM while accelerating.

While not a <5 second ride - the XT still hangs with the hot hatch crowd and a minivan/pickup won't trash you off a stoplight. It's good to have the extra power for those times that you need it.

The FXT is great. I've only done light off-roading with it in the last month, but it went through a mudhole that took out a Tacoma. That was fun.

It's my second Subaru ('05 Legacy GT before) and if they keep making cars of this quality I'm staying with them.

(Totally agree with the rubber timing belt. Hate those things)

#3 ·
Research will find that the '14 FXT, with its 250 advertised horsepower, produces quarter miles times and mph equal-or-better-than other vehicles with an advertised 300+ horses.

The new FXT also handles better than you'll believe.

Combined with the new HD CVT and SI Drive's tune changing modes, this FXT has proven to everyone who owns one it doesn't have to take a back seat to anything. It hauls, it handles, and it's quiet and refined while doing it.

Without the hoodscoop and with the gossamer Satin White Pearl, my FXT is a wolf in sheep's clothing... thankfully. Because its power easily, too easily and silently, will whisk it past overtaken vehicles with such thrust that it is often well beyond the acceptable margins when you pull back in line.

Read the reviews of owners. Many of us have come from WRXs and STis. Everyone is happy with their 2014 FXT.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.