Forester Snow Performance - Page 3 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: 2.5X Limited
Transmission: 4 speed auto
I'm hearing a lot about the Blizzaks, and I just ordered 4 Michelin Xi3's.

I researched a ton of reviews, and the Michelins came out on top (not by much). I think the deciding factor for me was the tread life of the Michelins. They carry a 60,000 Km tread wear warranty. They also performed best on ice at 50% tread wear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Transmission: 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
Oh, so you're saying that the salesman and all the commercials on TV that market this car as a winter machine state all that? lol
It has been several years since i have watched any kind of TV with commercials, but I seem to recall a commercial from that time that had a Outback or Forester going through snow and had the standard 20 lines of fine text discloser at the end along the bottom of the screen.

professional driver, closed coarse, ______ tires bla bla bla............

Besides anyone who bases their purchasing solely off advertising is going to have many letdowns in life with the products they buy.

Marketing isn't about the whole truth, it is about giving you enough truth to get you interested in a product so you buy it or research into it more and buy it. Whether some one does further research into it(and the depth of that research) beyond the marketing they watched, seen, listened to or read is up to them.

Before buying our '08s I downloaded a owners manual and read through it. Since almost every manufacture of a product now has owners manuals online I consider it a SOP to DL it and flip through it before I buy. I even did it for my $100 laser printer.

Subaru owners manuals

His - 08 X Prem 5mt
Hers - 08 X 4EAT
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester Ltd.
Transmission: CVT
^It is a winter machine, but it needs to be properly equipped and you need to know what you're doing. After driving much more appliance style vehicles, I find the foz to be a tool, one you need to know how to use, but with that caveat it gets the job done. The foz does very well on rough roads (not talking rock crawling), but again, you need to come to understand the limits of the machine (cough cough no hill descent on SH). Same with snow.

2014 forester ltd
prev: 2010 Foz Prem w/AWP
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 02:29 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: XT Touring
Transmission: 4EAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by flstffxe View Post
BF Goodrich MK2

Blizzak WS70

NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA 7

Mud tires don't do well in snow/ice. They do OK in fresh powder where they can shovel the snow from in front of the tire to behind it. On the street in the real world, not to well.
I have Blizzak WS70s on my Forester. They work great for winter driving. I travel all the way from Colorado to Montana during the winter and going through Wyoming have not had any issues on snow/ice/snow packed roads while others have been in the ditch I have control of my vehicle. But like others have mentioned you can't stop on pure ice so reducing your speed and driving for conditions is the best policy.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Forum Member

I have had a Forester with winter tires in snowy Maine for four years and have never had a problem (knock on wood), tho I'd recommend winter tires over all-seasons for our winters.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman12350 View Post
While the Geolander is a winter tire, it will serve as an all-season albeit with less tread wear longevity.
I also have a '13 Forester which came with Yokohama Geolandars. Mine are G95 and are all seasons; definitely not dedicated winter tires. Mine carry the M+S designation but no snowflake symbol. There are a number of different versions of the Geolandar including an all-terrain and an off-road version; I'd be surprised if Subaru spec'ed either of those as an OEM tire on the Forester though.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester Limited
Transmission: Auto w/nav
How durable are Blizzaks? Are these tyres something you can use for multiple winters or will they wear out due to the softer composition?

Aliens? Us? Is this one of your Earth jokes?
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddeep View Post
I also have a '13 Forester which came with Yokohama Geolandars. Mine are G95 and are all seasons; definitely not dedicated winter tires. Mine carry the M+S designation but no snowflake symbol. There are a number of different versions of the Geolandar including an all-terrain and an off-road version; I'd be surprised if Subaru spec'ed either of those as an OEM tire on the Forester though.
Thank you for providing this info. I had no idea that there were different versions of this tire. And yup, mine also came with the G95s.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman12350 View Post
And yup, mine also came with the G95s.
I'll be interested to see how they hold up over time. I've read that when they are about halfway worn down they can become quite noisy. They do seem to have a lot of positive reviews at tirerack.com from Forester owners.

I've used mine once in snow now having only had the car a month or so. They did very well in about 4" of freshly fallen powder. When I was visiting my parents in Pittsburgh over Christmas, there was a pretty heavy snowfall on 12/26 which gave me an opportunity to "play" in the snow. I was very pleased with their grip and predictability. For the mildish winters we tend to get where I live, I suspect they will be sufficient for winter use.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2002
Car Model: Forester L
Transmission: 5mt
Best snow car I ever had, and I had an S-10 blazer with 4WD. The key to driving in the slick is to not be an idiot. I've made a Camaro work in the snow, passing a Landcruiser on my way up a slick hill while they spun all 4 wheels and skated off the side of the road.

In 2006 we had 3 blizzards in a row, and my workplace wouldn't call off work for any of them, inspite of the fact that the whole rest of the city was shut down. The only people who made it in to work were those with the full-sized 4x4 trucks, the Jeeps, and of course, the Subarus.

I was running a BFG all season tire that was siped, and had great performance going and stopping in the snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.