Do you truly believe the 2017 Subaru Forester XT engine will be reliable? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Honda Accord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do you truly believe the 2017 Subaru Forester XT engine will be reliable?

i am trying to decide between the 2.5i Limited or the 2.0XT Limited and heavily leaning towards the XT but the cost of ownership and reliability concerns are scaring me away.

help ease my fears?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 04:44 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
What cost of ownership and reliability concerns? What are you reading that is giving you that bad information? The engine is very reliable and the cost of ownership is minimal over a 2.5i. You can use 87 octane if you wish (will not get the performance you may desire) and 89 works well too. No reason to go with 91 or 93 unless you want every bit of power out of your engine and you have money to burn. This engine is not new and has been a proven commodity for many years. Your fears are misguided. In addition, you can always buy a Subaru Extended Warranty if you wish to further ease your fears or concerns. If you buy on-line versus through your dealer they can be very affordable.

Change_agent likes this.

2017 Forester XT Touring
Subaru Ambassador

Last edited by securityguy; 09-01-2016 at 05:24 PM.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 04:49 PM
Admin

Car Year: 2014
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
79,000 miles on mine with no additional maintenance over what a typical car requires. No problems either.
Jhoo, Fate, EJH and 2 others like this.

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 05:51 PM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Model: SBM FXT-T ES
Transmission: TR690GBYCA
I've owned a total of four FA20DIT vehicle years... '14 FXT, '15 WRX, 16 WRX, and this '17 FXT. Zero issues. Plus, the FA powertrain had been in the public domain, in Japan, at least a year before my first one.

Find, if you can, anything that indicates this drivetrain is unreliable. Publish it. You won't, because you cannot.

I'm waiting.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 06:31 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 15
Car Model: Forester XT
I have owned two STIs a 2008 and my current 2016. I have also owned a XT Forester and the 2 liter DIT is a great motor but the new STI EJ is a beast and the best motor Subaru has put into the STI to date.

Get an STI if you need the best of the best in Subaru

just saying
securityguy likes this.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 06:46 PM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobySnaXT View Post
I have owned two STIs a 2008 and my current 2016. I have also owned a XT Forester and the 2 liter DIT is a great motor but the new STI EJ is a beast and the best motor Subaru has put into the STI to date.

Get an STI if you need the best of the best in Subaru

just saying
IMO, the best Subaru engine so far is the FA20DIT.

I've owned, and modded, three EJs... an LGT, a WRX, and an STi. Yes they make power. But when it comes to reliability, streetable flexibility, and fuel economy... the FA20DIT is hands down the better engine... proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Also, the FA can make a LOT of power when modded... with first level mods equalling or bettering the EJ. So while the new STi's EJ may be the best EJ yet, it is still the <cough> EJ... with all that that means.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 06:53 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate View Post
IMO, the best Subaru engine so far is the FA20DIT.

I've owned, and modded, three EJs... an LGT, a WRX, and an STi. Yes they make power. But when it comes to reliability, streetable flexibility, and fuel economy... the FA20DIT is hands down the better engine... proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Also, the FA can make a LOT of power when modded... with first level mods equalling or bettering the EJ. So while the new STi's EJ may be the best EJ yet, it is still the <cough> EJ... with all that that means.
The EJ with its twin scroll turbo is better, believe what you want I have owned both engines. The 14+ STI EJ has addressed a lot of the previous EJ issues and with just a E85 kit and tune makes upwards of 400 whp with just a tune.

The 14+ STI is the most advanced, most modern, the best STI to ever be brought to America. Its great that you love your FA, I owned one but the new EJ STI motor is solid. The best incarnation of the motor to be here ever.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 09:41 PM
Forum Member

It also made wards top ten engine list for 2016. 2016 Wards 10 Best Engines | WardsAuto - content about 2016 Wards 10 Best Engines

I owned a 2004 Forester XT, and I love the new engine in my 2017 XT, very smooth and refined. The torque starts at 2000 rpm and stays strong all the way to about 5500rpm. I think the quality of the engine will make a large impact on its future reliability. I mean this particular version only goes back to 2014 which isn't that long, but the previous versions of this engine have also been historically great, its made wards top engine list many years in a row. The only issues associated with it are the head gaskets eventually wearing out after many miles and leaking some oil, which is not huge compared to many engines out there.

RIP: 2004 Forester XT
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 03:00 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Quote:
The EJ with its twin scroll turbo is better, believe what you want I have owned both engines. The 14+ STI EJ has addressed a lot of the previous EJ issues and with just a E85 kit and tune makes upwards of 400 whp with just a tune.

The 14+ STI is the most advanced, most modern, the best STI to ever be brought to America. Its great that you love your FA, I owned one but the new EJ STI motor is solid. The best incarnation of the motor to be here ever.
The EJ in the new STi is virtually the same as the EJ in the 2004 STi... and does not nor ever has had a twin-scroll turbo. And we are not talking modded engines here, but basic engine architecture and the reliability of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryme View Post
It also made wards top ten engine list for 2016. 2016 Wards 10 Best Engines | WardsAuto - content about 2016 Wards 10 Best Engines

I owned a 2004 Forester XT, and I love the new engine in my 2017 XT, very smooth and refined. The torque starts at 2000 rpm and stays strong all the way to about 5500rpm. I think the quality of the engine will make a large impact on its future reliability. I mean this particular version only goes back to 2014 which isn't that long, but the previous versions of this engine have also been historically great, its made wards top engine list many years in a row. The only issues associated with it are the head gaskets eventually wearing out after many miles and leaking some oil, which is not huge compared to many engines out there.
The FA20DIT has been in production since 2012... and there has been no previous versions of it.

The only thing the FA shares with earlier Subaru engines is it's boxer layout ... it is an entirely new design.

The FA has never had a headgasket issue, nor will have.

I have owned, and have followed closely, the FA since 2013. The only "issue" it faces going forward is the potential for valve deposits due to its direct injection system. Thus far, however, that predicted possibility has not surfaced as a reliability issue.
Athens Turbaru likes this.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 04:11 AM
Subassador
Contributing Member

Car Model: Tacoma DCSB TRD OR
Transmission: 6MT!!!
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
The EJ with its twin scroll turbo is better, believe what you want I have owned both engines.
Twin scroll? Huh? Did they program it to be laggy anyway?

3 boxers and EJH like this.

17 Taco TRD OR 6MT(Mine) 16 XV(Hers)
14 FXT & 05 Baja XT 5MT w/ VF39+(Sold)
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 04:36 AM
Subassador
Contributing Member

Car Model: Tacoma DCSB TRD OR
Transmission: 6MT!!!
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfastlife View Post
i am trying to decide between the 2.5i Limited or the 2.0XT Limited and heavily leaning towards the XT but the cost of ownership and reliability concerns are scaring me away.

help ease my fears?
Nothing wrong with reaching out for some feedback before purchasing, and this is a good place.

Reliability of the FA20DIT:
The reality is that this engine has only been around a few years, but so far I'm not aware of anything that would make me question the reliability. I have about 50k on mine, and love this engine (I had a modded EJ as well, btw). I sometimes wish it was mated to a notchy 6-speed, but that's another topic independent of the engine.

Cost of ownership:
1. Synthetic oil: I use synthetic in all our cars, so this has no impact on us.
2. Oil change interval: I go 3k on turbos, and 5k for NA's, but I drive them hard. So yes, there is technically a slightly higher cost of ownership for me there. Not much though.
3. Premium Gas: This represents a slight increase in cost of ownership if you choose to use it, but worth it to me for the performance. I would not buy an XT and regularly put 87 octane in it to save money, but as someone above pointed out, you can.
4. Fuel efficiency: Besides impact of premium gas, you'll also get a little less efficiency in terms of mpg. Again, I want the power, not a Prius (not that there's anything wrong with buying a fuel efficient "car"), and that little extra cost doesn't bother me.
5. Turbo replacement: When you get to 150k+ miles, this may become more of a factor. I'm sure one mated to the FA20DIT has failed somewhere, but I haven't read about it yet. Trading 150k+ miles of turbo performance for maybe not having to replace a turbo at some point later is not worth it for me; not even close. Most, not all, but most of the turbo failures I've read about on the previous engine (EJ) had more to do with oil starvation than its relationship with the engine.

If everything above offsets the enjoyment you get when the XT spools up, get the 2.5i, which is still a great vehicle.

Otherwise, get the XT.

Either way, get what you want and don't look back.

Good luck!
Fate, bkuhl, nogard and 2 others like this.

17 Taco TRD OR 6MT(Mine) 16 XV(Hers)
14 FXT & 05 Baja XT 5MT w/ VF39+(Sold)
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 04:48 AM
Forum Member

Athens - great write-up above and spot on my friend!
Athens Turbaru and EJH like this.

2017 Forester XT Touring
Subaru Ambassador
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 05:41 AM
Forum Member

This could spare a debate among the two engines, I had an FA turbo motor in a XT Forester. It had way more lag than my STI does. There are differences internally in the EJ from the 14+ STIs on. It is Subaru's flag ship motor here. It may not get as good of gas mileage but you also have no CVT to deal with. On top of that the rumble that the EJ257 gives off is like no other. The new STI is the most advanced and best STI to date. They improved the chassis and the car is literally super stable at high speed cornering. They also routed the intake plumbing into the cabin so the turbo spool is loud and noticeable at various speeds inside the cabin. It adds for a very sporting experience.

The Forester XT is a nice ride and can do some serious off road things, but the FA is not greater than the EJ. They are two entirely different engines, and do two entirely different things. Just like some here who covet the previous generation Forester XT with the EJ and the hood scoop. Two different things.

To keep this on topic though, the FA and EJ turbo through normal maintenance should go 200-300 thousand miles before they need anything. Maybe more and the FA possibly could last longer since it uses a mechanical timing chain instead of a belt like on the EJ thus it does not need replacing every 100K miles.

Last edited by ScoobySnaXT; 09-02-2016 at 06:54 AM.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 04:20 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester 2.5 touring
Exclamation

If reliability is your number one get the non turbo
The natural aspirated 2.5 will generally be more reliable, it is less complex, less taxing on the trans and drivetrain, and of course does not have a turbo that will need rebuild before the engine (hopefully).

If you're interested in power and tuning their is no substitution for an XT

Your biggest reliability concern may not fall upon 2.5/XT lines it may be the color of your paint.

Post #34 to be exact:
Brand new car is already rusting (month old)

At this point i'm wondering if this is just a Forester issue or if it spans the entire lineup.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 09:01 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: 2.0 XT Touring
Transmission: High Torque CVT
I've owned a 2014 XT and had it stage 2 Pro tuned by @turbotektuning and never had any issues. My only concern at the time was the CVT. Had no issues for the 3+ years that I owned it. Now that I have the 2017 version I'm planning the same modifications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode