Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

California Extended Warranty Prices Paid

13K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  subatron 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All!

Getting quoted anywhere from $1825 to $1900 for the 7yr/100k, $0 deductible, Gold Plus plan for our 2017 Forester XT per my first round of calls to the finance managers at several dealerships in the Bay Area. Apparently the cost jumped up $250 on Jan 14? The new invoice/dealer cost is $1,530 + $295 (turbo) = $1,825. Previous base cost cost was $1,310 (surcharge for turbo was the same $295).

Any recent reports of prices paid for the same plan?

#6 ·
You can buy it directly from Subaru for full price. Buyers of new Subarus receive offers by mail to buy a Subaru Added Security plan. You usually get one 90 days after purchase and another one later, at about the 9-month mark or the 1-year mark. The mailers come from Subaru, not your dealer. They offer a payment plan, e.g. 10 credit card payments of $182.50 each for a total of $1825.

It's probably less expensive to shop around and buy it from a dealer.

#7 ·
Thanks for this! First time hearing about this.. when you say full price, do you mean invoice? Because from what I gathered, the dealers just make up their own pricing for the added security plans (add whatever markup to the invoice price)

#9 ·
I know I keep sounding like a broken record but if you don't check out Planet Subaru for your Subaru warranty you're making an expensive mistake. I guess no one really reads these threads as I must have shared this like 10 times:wink2:

Subaru Added Security Pricing | Planet Subaru | Serving the United States from Hanover, MA

Thanks securityguy, they were the first dealer I contacted per one of your posts. Unfortunately, they cannot sell to California residents..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
@49rfaithful...very unfortunate as I also ran into that same situation in FL. It appears that both states treat extended warranties like insurance policies and you cannot buy the policy from an out of state dealer. However, I used their price as leverage to have my local dealer match the price from Planet Subaru and they did as they wanted to sell me the car far more than they cared about the profit on the warranty.

#11 ·
@securityguy Thanks again! That is exactly what I did and I'm stuck at the $1,825 invoice price. Planet offered the exact same price, which leads me to believe there must be some discrepancy on the actual invoice price, or CA prices are higher than the rest of the states (hard to believe).

Planet Pricing for 7yr/100k Gold Plus Plan:

$1,825 $0 ded
$1,675 $50 ded
$1,575 $100 ded

#12 ·
Just picked up my 2017 XT and paid $1500 for the 7yr/100K Gold Plan because they give a pretty good discount for being a member of the local subaru group. I'm just happy that this plan covers pretty much everything under the sun no matter what! Especially because I'm not willing to touch the CVT.

#22 ·
@securityguy you stated:

Why folks just don't by from Luke is a mystery to me:crazy:
This is a California specific thread... You could easily cause someone to buy out of state and have their warranty coverage denied down the road on the grounds that it was not purchased by a licensed dealer.

Not really a mystery of why you would go through the appropriate channels.

If someone wanted to purchase out of state knowingly and take the risk I have no qualms with that. Just please don't keep advertising for the guy without telling people they need to check their state laws on extended vehicle coverage.

#23 ·
They do the same thing here in FL as they do in CA. If you purchase the warranty from Luke it will not be denied. Subaru, for one, could care less where you bought your warranty from and the servicing dealer cannot see that information either. People do it everyday. If you want to play by the rules, then play it safe and buy it from your local dealer.

OH...and don't forget to check your state laws on extended vehicle coverage and know the risks before purchasing:wink2:

#24 ·
@securityguy Subaru could care less but if at any time some state insurance department decides to go after these out of state dealers it could cause an issue. I'm not well versed in this area of law which is why I personally wouldn't risk it over a couple hundred dollars.

As long as anyone looking for this info finds it here or elsewhere and is able to make an informed decision I've chipped in my two cents... cheers. :Banane35:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.