99 Forester with short block replacement - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

99 Forester with short block replacement

Hi. Looking at a 99 forester that had a short block replaced according to dealer records at 85k. (was under warranty) Mileage is only about + 40k on that.

What do you guys think of this? That's basically a new engine I'd have to think. The gaskets issues should be licked right? (and certainly that should cover the 100k maintenance I'd think)

The cause... though? Don't have that. Overheated engine... timing belt broke?
(just guesses)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

cylinder was out of round. Interesting. At any rate... assume belts and gaksets would've had to have been done.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester S
Transmission: 4EAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by crhawkeye View Post
cylinder was out of round. Interesting. At any rate... assume belts and gaksets would've had to have been done.
Don't assume anything

Given that they used a short block, I would expect the head gaskets and timing belt to have been done as part of the replacement - in fact, the head gaskets pretty much have to be done in that case. But the timing belt is iffy; they could have reused the original one, or, if they bought in a used block, kept the one that came with it.

If I were in your shoes right now, I'd be pressing them for more info on what exactly was and was not done as part of that replacement. Their records should indicate the source of the block (new or used) and any other parts that may have been replaced incidentally to that repair.

FWIW, if you're getting the car cheaply enough, factoring in the time and/or cost of a timing belt job against the purchase price and book value may be worthwhile - this is pretty much how I picked up mine, which is currently in for surgery on a compression issue. Could be a handy negotiating point, too.

'99 S. 4EAT, leather, lifted.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casm View Post
Don't assume anything

Given that they used a short block, I would expect the head gaskets and timing belt to have been done as part of the replacement - in fact, the head gaskets pretty much have to be done in that case. But the timing belt is iffy; they could have reused the original one, or, if they bought in a used block, kept the one that came with it.

If I were in your shoes right now, I'd be pressing them for more info on what exactly was and was not done as part of that replacement. Their records should indicate the source of the block (new or used) and any other parts that may have been replaced incidentally to that repair.

FWIW, if you're getting the car cheaply enough, factoring in the time and/or cost of a timing belt job against the purchase price and book value may be worthwhile - this is pretty much how I picked up mine, which is currently in for surgery on a compression issue. Could be a handy negotiating point, too.
Right. Got a confirmation on the gaskets at 85k. Still gotta get info on timing belt. Vehicle has 124k and they want 4400. Good maintenance records, supposedly.

Might a bit on the high side...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester S
Transmission: 4EAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by crhawkeye View Post
Right. Got a confirmation on the gaskets at 85k. Still gotta get info on timing belt. Vehicle has 124k and they want 4400. Good maintenance records, supposedly.
If it's had head gaskets and a timing belt, that doesn't sound unrealistic - in this part of the world. A high-spec, clean, relatively low-mileage '98-'02 Forester with those two items in its recent service history will typically be offered at around $5500 around here, and getting in the region of $5000 for one is entirely normal. But it's also a vehicle that is very much in demand, and particularly if it's an S model with lots of options.

Quote:
Might a bit on the high side...
Possibly, but then again possibly not. It really just comes down to condition, spec, and how much demand there is for them where you are.

You may want to check the secondhand values on Edmunds, KBB, and the NADA Guide to get an idea of what your car is worth. I usually run through all three and come up with a ballpark notional average based on what they tell me; their values can vary by a noticeable margin. It wasn't mentioned if the car is being offered by a private party or a dealer, but dealers typically go by the NADA value ahead of the other two. Definitely check all three, but expect dealer pricing to reflect those values.

'99 S. 4EAT, leather, lifted.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply... this is a private seller in the midwest. Seems to be in pretty good condition but don't know what the specs are.

It's not too far off the going price around here, at least I don't think...

Edmunds is around 3100 and 3600 for good/excellent at base package... bluebook at 4500 and 4900.

Bluebook always seems him, Edmunds low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.