Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2016 Forester Pricing and Updates Announced

70K views 416 replies 64 participants last post by  HotShot308 
#1 · (Edited)
The '16 Forester pricing has gone live!

Beginning Thursday, June 18th at 11:00 AM ET, Subaru will begin accepting sold orders for 2016 Forester.

Pricing and changes are as follows:

2.5i
Price bump of $200
Forester 2.5i (base) models add the following new features:
• The new SUBARU STARLINK™ 6.2” Multimedia Audio System, which features
o A high resolution 6.2” touch screen display;
o Smartphone integration with AHA, and Pandora® STARLINK Applications include iHeart®
Radio and Stitcher™;
o AM/FM Stereo HD Radio® with Single-Disc CD Player;
o Bluetooth® Hands-Free phone, text messaging and Audio Streaming Connectivity.
• A body-color roof mounted shark-fin antenna;
• One-Touch Lane Change Turn Signals;
• Silver accents to the center and side dash outlets;
• Improvements to the functionality of the steering wheel audio and Bluetooth switches.

2.5i Premium is up $700 for both MT and CVT
• New SUBARU STARLINK™ 7.0" MULTIMEDIA PLUS SYSTEM, which adds ,
o A larger 7.0” display with multi-touch capability;
o SiriusXM® Satellite Radio (subscription required after 4-month free trial period);
o Dual USB ports and auxiliary jack.

2.5i Limited & 2.0XT Premium both up $700
all the aforementioned updates plus new standard Welcome Lighting, which provides an additional
period of illumination from the headlights and taillights when approaching and leaving the vehicle.

2.5i Touring & 2.0XT Touring up $700
all the aforementioned updates plus PIN-Code Access to the Keyless Access with Push-Button Start feature. PinCode Access allows the locking and unlocking of the vehicle using a 5-digit security code via the rear gate lock button, when the vehicle’s remote transmitter is not available.

All 2016 Forester models equipped with optional EyeSight® Driver Assist Technology add new standard Steering Responsive Fog Lights (SRF) system, which monitors the vehicle’s speed and steering angle, illuminating the corresponding left or right fog light when cornering. This feature operates with the headlights on and the fog lights off.

All Navigation-equipped vehicles will now include the new Subaru Map Update Program, which will allow customers to download updated maps annually for FREE during the first three years of ownership. To further improve the Subaru navigation system, we are also extending the SiriusXM NavTraffic Information and Travel Link services for 3 years, independent of an active SiriusXM satellite radio subscription service.

Option Package combinations for 2016MY are the same as those that were available in 2015MY. The OP pricing will remain the same as ‘15MY with the exception of a $̶1̶0̶0̶ ̶p̶r̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶r̶e̶a̶s̶e̶ $500 price decrease on packages that include the Navigation System.

______

Admin note: This thread was formed following a split from this thread after it went off topic. Please keep this thread on topic.

See less See more
#5 ·
Nope...not for us.

I also managed to pull up the accessory packages and accessory list. Looks like no changes there...ie...no forester TS accessories listed so either it will be something they release later in the model year or maybe not at all for the '16s. :frown2:

#9 · (Edited)
The '16 Forester pricing announcement has gone live!
Thanks J_STi63! I'm impressed you were able to get all of these details before the media announcement was released.

I've taken it upon myself to summarize the updates. Here's what I came up with....

• All-new Starlink infotainment 6.2" on base, 7" on all others
  • Shark fin antenna
  • Chrome surrounds around air vents
  • Updated steering wheel with additional controls for new Starlink system
  • One-touch lane change turn signals
  • Steering responsive fog lights with EyeSight
  • Free 3 years map updates with navigation
  • Free 3 years XM Nav Traffic and XM Travel Link, independent of XM radio subscription
  • Welcome lighting improvements for Limited and Touring and XT Premium
  • PIN-code access added for cars equipped with keyless start/stop
  • Starlink Safety Plus (like OnStar) added to models with 7" Starlink

While many are upset about what's NOT on this list, I have to say that's a pretty decent change log for a non-refresh year.

#19 ·
Well, it's actually more confusing than that....

"Starlink" itself is NOT akin to OnStar. Starlink is Subaru's brand name for their connected infotainment systems.

They have been using the Starlink name since the 2014 Foresters with navigation that have Aha connectivity.

With the new infotainment systems in the 2015 Outback/Legacy/Impreza, etc. and now the 2016 Forester, all of the infotainment systems -- including those without nav -- are Starlink branded, and include connectivity to Aha, Pandora, Stitcher, and more.

Now... All new for 2016 is an additional enhancement to the Starlink system called "Starlink Safety Plus" and "Starlink Safety Plus and Security Plus". These new functions (and the respective 2 new buttons on the overhead console) are what constitutes the OnStar comparison.

#24 ·
Forester 2016 has been formally announced today:

SUBARU ANNOUNCES PRICING FOR 2016 FORESTER®

Main feature in 2016 being the Starlink system - 7 inch screen in Premium and above trims.

=========================================================

June 15, 2015

SUBARU ANNOUNCES PRICING FOR 2016 FORESTER®

•Forester 2.5i starts at $22,395
•New SUBARU STARLINK™ Safety and Security features
•New STARLINK Audio Systems
•IHS Top Safety Pick+ rating

Cherry Hill, N.J. - Subaru of America, Inc. today announced pricing for the 2016 Forester, the compact SUV that has become the brand’s best-selling model. The fourth-generation Forester was introduced for the 2015 model year and for 2016 offers the new SUBARU STARLINK™ Safety and Security features and other enhancements. The 2016 line starts at an MSRP of $22,395 for the Forester 2.5i.

The 2016 Forester 2.5i model is available in base, Premium, Limited and top-line Touring trims. The turbocharged Forester 2.0XT, offered in the Premium and Touring trims is powered by a 250-horsepower 2.0-liter direct-injection turbocharged 4-cylinder BOXER engine.

The 2015 Forester earned the IIHS Top Safety Pick+ rating with the available Subaru-developed EyeSight® system, which includes Adaptive Cruise Control, Automatic Pre-Collision Braking and Lane Departure and Sway Warning. EyeSight uses stereo camera technology developed by Subaru to provide a detection angle wider than that of radar-based systems.
New for 2016, Forester models equipped with EyeSight now also include Steering-Responsive Fog Lights, which use the pre-aimed fog lights to individually provide enhanced illumination in the direction of a turn.

All Foresters come standard with Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive. The Forester 2.5i trims are powered by a 170-horsepower 2.5-liter 4-cylinder BOXER engine. When equipped with the Lineartronic® continuously variable transmission (CVT), they achieve EPA fuel economy estimates of 24 mpg city / 32 mpg highway / 27 mpg combined – figures that compare well to competitive models with front-wheel drive. A 6-speed manual transmission is standard for the 2.5i and 2.5i Premium, with the CVT an option.

The CVT is standard on all other 2016 Forester trims, and high-line CVT-equipped models also feature standard Hill Descent Control and a X-Mode, which provides extra control in certain driving conditions.

New SUBARU STARLINK™ Safety & Security
For 2016, the Forester Premium, Limited and Touring trims now feature the new SUBARU STARLINK Safety and Security features. Two STARLINK packages are available and are among the most affordable in the industry. The STARLINK Safety Plus package includes SOS Emergency Assistance, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Automatic Collision Notification, Maintenance Notifications, Monthly Vehicle Health Report and Diagnostic Alerts.

For even greater peace of mind, the STARLINK Safety Plus & Security Plus Package adds Stolen Vehicle Recovery Service, Vehicle Security Alarm Notification, Remote Lock/Unlock, Remote Horn and Lights and Remote Vehicle Locator.

STARLINK Audio Systems
All Forester trim lines for 2016 feature STARLINK, Subaru’s in-vehicle platform that provides hands-free connectivity and entertainment services. STARLINK is designed to work seamlessly with the in-car head unit to provide smartphone integration and tap into nearly unlimited entertainment through apps such as Pandora®, iHeartRadio® Aha™, and Stitcher. The technology can deliver live traffic alerts and also help reduce driver distraction by displaying texts and allowing the driver to use voice commands for music and navigation (when equipped).

The Forester 2.5i base model features STARLINK 6.2” Multimedia with a 6.2-in. single-touch gesture display, AM/FM stereo with HD Radio®, SiriusXM Satellite Radio, Radio Data Broadcast System, single-disc CD player, Bluetooth® hands-free phone connectivity and audio streaming, iPod® control, iTunes® Tagging, a USB port and an auxiliary input jack. Smartphone integration features Aha™ and Pandora®, along with STARLINK cloud applications iHeartRadio®, Stitcher, Calendar, Music Player, News and Weather. The screen also provides the display for the standard rear vision camera.

The Premium, Limited and Touring trims have standard STARLINK 7.0” Multimedia Plus with a high-resolution 7-in. LCD screen featuring multi-touch gesture controls, much like a smartphone or tablet. In addition, STARLINK 7.0” Multimedia includes Bluetooth hands-free SMS text messaging and dual USB ports. Optional STARLINK 7.0” Multimedia Navigation features voice-activated controls and also includes SiriusXM Traffic® and NavWeather® (4-month trial subscription included). Navigation equipped models come with three years of complimentary map updates.

Renowned Subaru Value
The Forester 2.5i comes equipped as standard with a tilt/telescopic steering column, STARLINK 6.2” Multimedia, rear vision camera, Incline Start Assist, security system with engine immobilizer, carpeted floor mats, multi-function display, Bluetooth hands-free phone connectivity and audio streaming with steering wheel control switches and more.
The 2.5i Premium adds STARLINK 7.0” Multimedia, 17-inch alloy wheels, 10-way power driver’s seat, reclining rear seatback, dark tint privacy rear glass, panoramic power moonroof and more. The All-Weather Package, which includes heated front seats, heated side mirrors and a windshield wiper de-icer, comes standard with the 2.5i Premium with 6-speed manual transmission and is optional for the CVT-equipped model.

The 2.5i Limited model makes the CVT standard and also includes the All-Weather Package, perforated leather-trimmed seats, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter, fog lights, automatic climate control system, Welcome Lighting, power liftgate, and more.

The Touring trim tops the Forester line. In addition to including all the Limited content, the Touring includes the harman/kardon 440-watt premium audio system, Keyless Access with Push-Button Start, a one-touch folding rear seatback and more.

Subaru of America, Inc. offers a full line of all-wheel drive sedans, crossovers and SUVs, along with the rear-wheel drive BRZ sports car.

#28 ·
It should be like this, which is in every other Subaru right now, except the BRZ.

7 inch with or without navigation

I think this was an outback picture to show the new screens, but will the higher-end Forester keep its secondary color LCD up on the dash. I agreed with everyone that the backup camera coming out on that screen was a bit small, but I really like all the other info that is available, and I'd hate to see technical info buried in the infotainment menus.

Anyone from overseas seen one of these in the wild yet to verify the presence or absence of the secondary color LCD?

#29 ·
The color info screen in the Forester isn't going anywhere. That photo is of an Impreza, which in the US doesn't include the color screen unless you get the hybrid.

At the New York Auto Show this past April, Subaru had a 2016 Forester on display to show of the new Starlink Safety and Security Plus, and based on yesterday's official announcement, it is now obvious that the 2016 on display was indeed a final version of the 2016 changes, as it had the chrome-surrounded air vents, shark fin antenna, etc.. And, yes, it had a 4.2" color info screen.

The only thing that is changing is that the backup camera screen is moved from showing on that 4.2" screen to the 6.2" or 7" Starlink screen.

#33 ·
So far from what I can see:

-satin white pearl replaced with crystal white pearl
Can you re-verify the color codes for 2016? Cars101.com has updated and said colors are unchanged for 2016, but he may have just missed it since we're just talking about a minor change to one color as opposed to an entirely new color.

It'd still be nice to hear about Apple Carplay or Android Auto possibilities with the new HU, but I'm not holding my breath. Several pages on subaru.com come up if you Google "site:google.com carplay," but there's nothing in the page contents yet.

#36 ·
From what I've seen we don't have dates for when orders will open.

Does anyone have an average turnaround time for when Subaru announces pricing to when they open orders? I know this is mostly based on manufacturing and things of that nature, but I think I'd be safe to assume they usually announce pricing X-Y weeks before they open orders.

Also, how customizable can you get when building your own? In an idea world I would order an XT premium with leather, but I know that's not a package option. If you can mix and match like this, I'd be pretty excited but I'm not holding my breath. (chrome accents on the touring make me sad.... all black everything!) Also, can you get HK audio without nav?

Any input would be appreciated. I'm trying to jump on the order to get one in my garage ASAP.

#37 ·
There doesn't seem to be a set "price released at x therefore orders open at y" scenario. The wrx and sti was announced over a week before orders opened but pricing for the legacy and outback was released 3 days before orders opened. Hopefully soon we should have an announcement.

When it comes to orders, you're still restricted to the outlined package details. The main draw of ordering a vehicle is you can get the exact color / accessories you want without paying for anything that you don't want, having to settle with choice #2 or 3 on color or having a vehicle driven in from another dealership. Where I work though we use a company in Jersey that will reupholster a vehicle with a leather interior in the color/combo of the customer's choice using katzkin kits. (for example we had someone buy a yellow special edition crosstrek and had us put a black/yellow leather interior in it).

The HK audio system is standard on the touring and XT touring without navigation and optional on the 2.5i limited with the addition of navigation.

#39 ·
I don't like seeing people being fed mis-information / rumor as fact...or straight lied to to "make the sale". Being an enthusiast myself while also being personally invested makes being able to share this information even more enjoyable.

I already have my '16 spec'd and ready to go. If orders open at 12 I'm ready to have it submitted at 12:01 so to speak :wink2:

I also have my secondary list of modifications and prices not available at time of order as well. Once that order is submitted....I'll be placing several other smaller orders.

Once I have more information....you'll all be the first to know :grin2:

#43 ·
Why would they not put the newest gen eyesight on the forester when the WRX and the Outback/Legacy have it. Doesnt make sense to me.
I agree completely. Total BS! My belief is they purposely do it to differentiate the Forester and Outback. If you look at the stats between the two, there's not a lot of difference, yet they charge more for the Outback and a lot more Outback is sold. So they give the latest technology to Outback and give hand me down old tech to Forester. But it sucks that the Forester is getting such old technology for 2016.

It's not a drop-in replacement. There's new electronics, new tooling required, testing costs to federalize it, etc.. There may also be supply commitments for the gen. 2 system and/or supply constraints on gen. 3, etc. There's a lot more to cutting in an update than meets the eye of the average consumer.

All said, we should be happy that we're getting the Starlink system in 2016 -- Most significant changes are usually saved for the midcycle refresh in 2017.
Please don't rationalize for Subaru. This is just a slap in the face to new Forester buyers. Honestly, I could care less about any infotainment system. I could care less about Starlink. I care about EyeSight and X-Control. The radio just needs a link for bluetooth connection and then I'll pump everything in via my smart phone. I don't even need a CD player.

#45 ·
Please don't rationalize for Subaru. This is just a slap in the face to new Forester buyers. Honestly, I could care less about any infotainment system. I could care less about Starlink. I care about EyeSight and X-Control. The radio just needs a link for bluetooth connection and then I'll pump everything in via my smart phone. I don't even need a CD player.
You may be overestimating the difference. I've driven the new Outback (we have them as company cars), and I never noticed any real difference between it and the Gen 2 in my 2015 Forester. The bigger backup screen, sure. The rear cross-traffic and blind-spot warnings, sure. But Eyesight behavior? Certainly not in my experience. I suppose there's a theoretical collision that Gen 3 would avoid that Gen 2 would only mitigate, but if I had a choice between G2 Eyesight and driving another year with nothing, I know what I'd pick.

The Outback is a bigger, plusher car. It's a Camry to the Forester's Corolla. It and the Legacy were due for a full redesign, and that's why they got Gen 3 Eyesight for 2015; it has to be baked into the car.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.