2014 NA or XT - mpg concerns - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester 2.5i
Transmission: CVT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2014 NA or XT - mpg concerns

Hi all,
First post. I'm currently close to pulling the trigger on a new Forester. I'm coming from a 96 4Runner SR5. I really like the XT Premium but can easily live with the NA models (Premium or Limited).
My main concern is the mileage claims I am seeing on this site as well as other reviews. I'm getting the message that the majority of XT owners are getting no where near the epa claims (surprise there!!) with many if not the majority claiming high teen's. I also get the impression the 2.5 models are getting mid 20's (at least 25 mpg's ) and above. When factoring in the regular vs premium cost and the mpg differences I am coming up with an over 40% increase in gas cost over the NA models. I'm not saying I can't afford that, it's just troubling numbers.
If I thought I could average 22 mpg's or better with the XT it would be a no-brainer. I'm hoping the folks here can give me their input and tell me if my assumptions are correct.

By the way I live on Long Island and my driving consists of about 60% around town (suburban driving) and 40% highway. I tend to be mildly heavy footed.

Last edited by Jimmyboy; 06-29-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Base Forester 2.5
Transmission: Auto (CVT)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)

I have almost 4000 miles on my '14 Forester 2.5 N/A. I do mainly rural driving, that is not city and not highway. Live out in the country somewhat so road speeds are generally inbetween 35 to 50 mph.

Saying that, the read out after almost 3000 miles since I reset the "A" tripodometer has been 27.9 mpg.

I reset the "B" tripodometer each week when I start a new work week. Lately been averaging about 28.3 to 28.9.

Now remember it is summer and with the A/C on these number will drop a bit, not much. I have been seeing about .3 to .5 drop in mpg when using the A/C.

I also did manual check of gas mileage to see the accuracy of the readout. The difference was minimal in accuracy. Less than 1 mpg difference.

"By the way I live on Long Island and my driving consists of about 60% around town (suburban driving) and 40% highway. I tend to be mildly heavy footed."

Just throwing a judgement on how you will driving considering everything you wrote above, I would guess with N/A engine about 25 mpg after break-in. This is just my opinion mind you.
tonyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Admin
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I drive almost all highway going to and from oil rigs for work. My 2014 XT has been averaging right about 27.5 mpg, which is right on track with EPA estimates.

My Fuelly
My Journal

GeoJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester 2.5x
Transmission: 4EAT
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The EPA estimates are a pretty good yardstick for comparing one car to another....but not so good at predicting what your mileage results will be. Too much depends on your particular driving conditions and style.

Your question should be answered as well as it can be by comparing the EPA estimates of all the cars you are considering...and using those in making your decision. You will just drive yourself crazy by reading volumes of anecdotal tales of extremely good or bad mpg numbers reported by various people.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester

I drive mostly suburb area going 10 miles to work. I get bout 24.6MPG if i baby it and about 22 if i drive how i want.

Highway i get 30 cruise controlled at 70. If i baby it and drive with the hills I can hit 31-32

I agree that advertised MPG is not goign to be what you get...too many factors involved.
andrew32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Gallery: 98
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)

Everything I have read in the past says you would be lucky to average 20 mpg with the XT. If that is anywhere near concern for you then [rpbab;y an XT is not for you. Folks that get worse mileage seem to think the extra power is more than worth the cost.

I have an N/A bc its not worth it for me. I'm 67 and have had my time in the sun with my '69 camaro.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

No matter which one you get, it will get better than the 4runner. I took the XT for an aggressive 25 mile test drive, got over 25 MPG, on the same loop with my 2005 Legacy GT I get less than 20MPG.

I had a 2010 Forester XT before and got 22mpg in it, I ALWAYS drive fairly aggressively and seem to get about EPA advertised with just about every vehicle I have.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Everything I have read in the past says you would be lucky to average 20 mpg with the XT. If that is anywhere near concern for you then [rpbab;y an XT is not for you. Folks that get worse mileage seem to think the extra power is more than worth the cost.

I have an N/A bc its not worth it for me. I'm 67 and have had my time in the sun with my '69 camaro.
I don't know where you are reading that. Not my experience at all.

Real world MPG on the '14 FXT 2.0 ?

Might be worth looking there for info (avoid the posts by non-2014xt owners).

Every fill up I have done and manually calculated has been between 27-29 mpg. Running 91 octane, no ethanol, and 90-95% highway driving.

As some people have posted in that other thread, a lot of the lower numbers are due to peoples driving style. If I were to drive aggressively all the time, sport mode and taking off quick from stop lights, my MPG would likely be quite a bit lower.

The EPA numbers are not tested with racecar drivers behind the wheel, so if that is how you drive expect some discrepancies.

My Fuelly
My Journal

Old 06-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Base Forester 2.5
Transmission: Auto (CVT)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)

Combination city and highway on the 2.5i is 27 mpg. I think that is dead on for all around driving and about what you should expect.

If you lean either way, heavy footed on the gas, you will get a lot less, you drive like grandma, you will probably get a lot more.
tonyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i

Tonyford, I agree with you on your take on the 2.5i's almost everyone seems to be in the ballpark regarding the epa numbers. Most people are getting mid 20's at least.
The problem I am trying to resolve is the XT's numbers the epa says 25mpg average 23 city 28 highway. Most of the reviews/posts I've seen seem to be in the ballpark for the highway side but the city numbers seem to be significantly lower (high teens), and that's where the majority of my driving is (60%).
As someone stated that's still better than my 4Runner. I get 16 on average but I'll get 22 on long trips with REGULAR gas. High teens and premium for the XT will actually cost more than the 4Runner, not exactly what I want.

I'm happy to hear others are getting in the 20's on their XT's and hopefully more folks will chime in and put my mind more at ease.
One thing to my advantage on the gas side is the station I use has 93 octane as it's premium for less than most stations 91.
Jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Admin

Driving to the store in town, with my AC blasting and sitting in traffic I still get around 20-23 on the trip readout. The worst I have seen was 17 and that was when I got every single red light and spent more time sitting still than driving, with the AC blasting.

The route to the store is 3 miles and can take over 20 minutes in traffic. That is still pretty good mileage in town. I haven't done a full tank in town to get you a better comparison.

City driving MPGs will really be affected by your driving style. If you like to take off from stoplights quick and get on the gas hard, you will see bad mileage.

Like you, I came from something with terrible mileage. My truck was rated at 13 city 18 highway. I was getting 20 highway if I tried hard and the conditions were right. That might be another reason I am really happy with what I am getting in my '14 XT.

I would really not be worried about it. If you are, go take a test drive and see what the trip MPG readout shows while you are in the city.

My Fuelly
My Journal

Old 06-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car Model: XT Premium
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My XT fuel economy is pretty much the same as GeoJosh's rundown. Low to mid 20s in the city with or without A/C, high 20s to low 30s on the highway. Not too far off from EPA.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: Auto

Jimmyboy, Welcome to the forum. I didn't get whether you have driven the vehicles you are considering. If not, drive the NA and the turbo back to back. Drive them in town, but then jump on the Interstate, harshly depress the go pedal and pass a few trucks while climbing a steep grade(I know a little tough to find on LI), etc. After the comparo, if the XT, like ours and previous ones we have owned getting 18 to 20 around town and 23 to 25 on the highway, still concerns you...Get the 2.5i.

My situation: I just turned 67, live where there are lots of steep mountain roads to one side of us and long stretches of uncrowded Interstate on the other. I have a "heavy" foot as does SWMBO. I couldn't "easily live" with the 2.5i once I really drove the XT. Paying the few hundred extra per year (premium fuel and a few MPG less) is worth it to have the hybrid of grin inducing acceleration + Subaru safety, AWD and utility.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Taking a Walkabout in the Outback

Car Model: XT

Jimmyboy, I'm from NY and I'm familiar with the terrain in LI. Traffic is crazy but you'll do much better on th egas than your current vehicle.
I'm in Colorado and at above 5K feet altitude, take a toll and the XT as well on the MPG.

Just traded a 2013 Rav4 (4 cylnders) and with the XT premium I'm getting about the same MPG, except the premium gas.

I drive 80/20 Hwy and city, get about 25 MPG. Pure Hwy I'll get around 26-27 if stick to the 60-65 MPG.

This past week was the worse, I average around 20 MPG, the reason I drove about 70/30 City and Hwy BUT, I used the remote starter a lot to cool off the car.

Anywho, like others mention, drive both vehicles, I'm sure you'll be happy with the XT, the extra money on gas is worth it. Plus the XT is a blast to drive.

Just let us know what desicion you'll make.
BTW, since I'm at a high altitude I notice the lag on the turbo more, no biggie.
blueboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Premium

1200 miles on my XT and overall City/hwy average 26.2 MPG. It slightly better MPG than my '10 N/A Forester (EJ25) which gets about 24.6.
marmonduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping