Subaru Forester Owners Forum

Subaru Forester Owners Forum (http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/)
-   Forester Shopping (http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f151/)
-   -   2014 Forester Prices Paid (http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f151/2014-forester-prices-paid-127981/)

jetlagged 04-26-2013 08:00 AM

hey guys. i might pull the trigger this weekend for Forester XT 2014 Touring with the following options:

luggage compartment cover
rear bumper cover
exterior auto dimming mirror with approach lighting
gunmetal sport grille trim

just wondering what i should be offering? i went to truecars.com and entered the above options

MSRP $34999
Truecar price estimate 34673
Average paid 33447
Invoice 32473

I went to the car connection website and MSRP is 34999 and invoice is 32473 also.

i'm a first time buyer, i'm driving a 12 year old year 2001 toyota camry with 76k miles on it which was a hand me down that i bought off my folks.

i might pull the trigger this weekend if i can get close to 32500. i'm not a member of the vip program or anything. any help and advice is appreciated.

trident777 04-26-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetlagged (Post 1655937)
i might pull the trigger this weekend if i can get close to 32500. i'm not a member of the vip program or anything. any help and advice is appreciated.

I believe most are getting 2% below invoice so if invoice is $32400 you should get it for $31,752. Configured like you mentioned at Trucar I get: Invoice: $32414, Trucar: $32614 (Southern California)

In my opinion you should be offering $31400-31700 for your vehicle

Mad Dog 04-26-2013 10:26 AM

Grand Subaru in Chicago area (near O'Hare)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wlam3 (Post 1616001)
Congrats on your order. I live in Chicago and went to like 3 other dealers. Grand Subaru was the one that gave me the lowest price

Same here when I used CU's build and price feature. Grand Subaru
responded within, like, 20 minutes of the broadcast request for price quotes, and responded with a quote on a pretty well-loaded 2.5i Touring with a price that was 4% under invoice (The Car Connection had all the accurate invoice pricing that matched the dealer's records.) I live in north suburban Milwaukee, but I was about to order from Grand until the internet sales manager with the local dealer nearest me responded affirmatively to my e-mail asking if they could match Grand. Grand was extremely responsive in several back and forth e-mails. I guess they must concentrate on very high volume for their profit. (And, I suppose, one might get a better discount the more options/accessories are added on and the higher the trim level.)

Lostmarine 04-26-2013 11:54 AM

I paid $24,240 before TTL here in VA for a 2014 2.5i Premium (Dark Grey Metallic) with
-All weather package
-Rear bumper cover
-Auto Dimming mirror with Compass/Homelink
-Auto Dimming side mirrors with approach light
-Cargo net
-Rubber mats (once they come in)
Loving it too! I think I did alright price wise, but who knows?

motownphilly 04-26-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostmarine (Post 1657113)
I paid $24,240 before TTL here in VA for a 2014 2.5i Premium (Dark Grey Metallic) with
-All weather package
-Rear bumper cover
-Auto Dimming mirror with Compass/Homelink
-Auto Dimming side mirrors with approach light
-Cargo net
-Rubber mats (once they come in)
Loving it too! I think I did alright price wise, but who knows?

I pai 900 more for the same thing:icon_redface:

1st_SubieNJ 04-26-2013 02:54 PM

2014 Forester Limited (NJ)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwayneamir (Post 1655041)
Do you guys have any tips on how to negotiate a good deal? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm seeing a few amazing stories here about getting really great OTD prices. Most of you guys get great deals even without having the VIP guaranteed 2% off invoice.

I'm in North New Jersey, Bergen County area, and really wanted to buy the 2014 Subaru Forester Limited Edition last Saturday, but walked out after the sales person didn't accept my final offer of $28500 OTD, no options.

I wanted the color in Marine Blue Pearl, no local dealer had this color in their inventory, so I decided I would order it, no options, just the base model Limited.

I was quoted OTD price between $29150 and $29500. I offered $28000 and then increased to $28500 OTD, but the two dealers were firm. As a matter of fact, they both told me "if you can find it cheaper, take it. No need to come back." I felt I was being fair in my offer, especially after reading this forum and seeing the prices people are getting, with several options installed on the limited.

)

dwayneamir, I used the AAA car buying service at the two Bergen County dealers (Liberty and Ramsey) that are part of the program, and had decent results. I'm leasing, but went into the discussions as if I were purchasing. The AAA program supposedly "guarantees" a specific amount over invoice, but you have to visit the dealer, they won't tell you over the phone. I think Liberty Subaru said they would add $500 over cost/invoice and I can't remember Ramsey's or they didn't outright say it. I ended up going with Liberty since they had the color I wanted in stock.

If I did purchase, my OTD price probably would've been close to what you've been seeing though. I was in a bit of a jam and needed the car though, so didn't have much leverage.

Model Trim:
Limited

Options:
Splash Guards
Rear Bumper Cover
Bumper Corner Molding Kit

Dealer freebies: Salesman said he threw in the Rear Bumper cover...
Purchase program used: AAA Car Buying service

Total MSRP: $29,026
Total Invoice: $26,807 (excluding TTL)

Lease details:
$348/month with $1238 due at signing (36 mos at 12K miles/year)
0.0019 Money Factor, 63% Residual

jetlagged 04-26-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trident777 (Post 1656097)
I believe most are getting 2% below invoice so if invoice is $32400 you should get it for $31,752. Configured like you mentioned at Trucar I get: Invoice: $32414, Trucar: $32614 (Southern California)

In my opinion you should be offering $31400-31700 for your vehicle

Cool thanks man, appreciate the response. i might go test drive it tomorrow or sunday. but yeah i'll try to aim for the 2% below invoice and also email other dealers in the area.

mlk3454 04-26-2013 04:11 PM

'14 2.5i Premium CVT
All weather package
Splash guards
Bumper cover
Side body molding
Fog lights

$25,550 with negotiation (not including tax,tags, title)

dwayneamir 04-26-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1st_SubieNJ (Post 1657825)
dwayneamir, I used the AAA car buying service at the two Bergen County dealers (Liberty and Ramsey) that are part of the program, and had decent results.

Thank you, I'll look into that.

tonyford 04-26-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1st_SubieNJ (Post 1657825)
dwayneamir, I used the AAA car buying service at the two Bergen County dealers (Liberty and Ramsey) that are part of the program, and had decent results. I'm leasing, but went into the discussions as if I were purchasing. The AAA program supposedly "guarantees" a specific amount over invoice, but you have to visit the dealer, they won't tell you over the phone. I think Liberty Subaru said they would add $500 over cost/invoice and I can't remember Ramsey's or they didn't outright say it. I ended up going with Liberty since they had the color I wanted in stock.

If I did purchase, my OTD price probably would've been close to what you've been seeing though. I was in a bit of a jam and needed the car though, so didn't have much leverage.

Model Trim:
Limited

Options:
Splash Guards
Rear Bumper Cover
Bumper Corner Molding Kit

Dealer freebies: Salesman said he threw in the Rear Bumper cover...
Purchase program used: AAA Car Buying service

Total MSRP: $29,026
Total Invoice: $26,807 (excluding TTL)

Lease details:
$348/month with $1238 due at signing (36 mos at 12K miles/year)
0.0019 Money Factor, 63% Residual


I got mine 3 weeks ago at Ramsey. I don' know, not sure if I got the best deal there. I did shop around and got my first price at Wayne Subaru in Wayne, NJ. I was headed out to Subaru World of Newton in Newton, NJ when Ramsey called me on my cell phone and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Thing is, I will never know what deal I would of got at the Newton dealership. :icon_frown:

paultg1 04-26-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwayneamir (Post 1655041)
Do you guys have any tips on how to negotiate a good deal? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm seeing a few amazing stories here about getting really great OTD prices. Most of you guys get great deals even without having the VIP guaranteed 2% off invoice.

For my Touring above with options it ended up being $1800 below invoice then add the dealer fee. No one had the car/color in stock locally; to be honest there are only a few in Nh & Ma (maybe 3 and those all had other options added).

First dealer I went to I have a relationship with. They were doing $700 below invoice.

After leaving (just couldn't sign the papers at that point) I went onto all the local dealer sites and sent an email quote request. Never stepped foot in the dealers or spoke (purposely left phone number off the email), no personal info about where I live or anything.

My email was clear, this model (did not list color) with options, and i wanted price and dealer fee.

In some cases dealers would respond with good aggressive prices, and before I even wrote back they would send a 2nd email lowing it. I got down to under $30k pretty quickly. All email quotes were at or below invoice btw.

I called the first dealer and told them the situation. They said if I had it in writing (email) they could beat any offer by $300. So I went in and left a deposit.

Paul G.



Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

emac08 04-26-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paultg1 (Post 1658585)
For my Touring above with options it ended up being $1800 below invoice then add the dealer fee. No one had the car/color in stock locally; to be honest there are only a few in Nh & Ma (maybe 3 and those all had other options added).

First dealer I went to I have a relationship with. They were doing $700 below invoice.

After leaving (just couldn't sign the papers at that point) I went onto all the local dealer sites and sent an email quote request. Never stepped foot in the dealers or spoke (purposely left phone number off the email), no personal info about where I live or anything.

My email was clear, this model (did not list color) with options, and i wanted price and dealer fee.

In some cases dealers would respond with good aggressive prices, and before I even wrote back they would send a 2nd email lowing it. I got down to under $30k pretty quickly. All email quotes were at or below invoice btw.

I called the first dealer and told them the situation. They said if I had it in writing (email) they could beat any offer by $300. So I went in and left a deposit.

Paul G.



Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App



Nice man! Man what a month and some change can do after a car is released in regards to its going price lol.

paultg1 04-27-2013 03:45 AM

Yeah. I was really surprised to be honest. The $700 below invoice was a good price as far as I could tell by researching here and on Nasioc.

The dealer I purchased from told me a few local dealers are in trouble with the franchise (Subaru of NE I assume), so they are doing pretty desperate things I guess to boost sales.

I think there is alot of incentive (more so than profit on a single vehicle) to sell in bulk/move cars. I know they are still making money at the place I bought too.

No one should be purchasing without getting multiple quotes via email as far as I'm concerned. I know now to always spend some time sending a few emails for quotes just to be sure.

Paul G.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

dwayneamir 04-27-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paultg1 (Post 1658585)
For my Touring above with options it ended up being $1800 below invoice then add the dealer fee. No one had the car/color in stock locally; to be honest there are only a few in Nh & Ma (maybe 3 and those all had other options added).

That's amazing Paul. I'm still negotiating today, mainly through email though.

The current deal on the table for the 2014 Limited w/NAV, auto-dim mirror compass, luggage compartment cover, rear number cover, aero cross bar set is:

Car Price + Options: $30668

negotiated Car price + options: $28330

+ 7% NJ tax

+ $295 dealer fees

+ $250 Registration fee or $0 If I do registration myself.

What do you guys think?

paultg1 04-27-2013 10:57 AM

Invoice according to Car Reviews: New Car Prices and Used Cars Classifieds with those options is $28,385 including destination. So you are getting invoice. You could probably do $500 better with some more effort, but if they have it in stock you don't have to wait.

I don't think it's a bad deal. Maybe see if they will do the $250 registration for free?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.