Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2009 vs 2010 - Release Date?

6K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  YoGeorge 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

This is my first post. I've been reading this forum for a while, and think this community is great! A lot of good information shared and a lot of friendly/helpful folks.
I'm looking to purchase a new Forester X MT to replace my old car. I don't need to right now as it's still running ok, but it is quite elderly ('84 Accord, 290k miles).
I'd really like to get the 2010, mainly because of 1st model year reliability or quirks. I know that Subaru's an excellent brand as far as quality and reliability are concerned, but most cars have at least some small issue fixed between first and second years. If I don't need to wait too long for the 2010, then I'd prefer to.
I've read that the 2010s are supposed to come out in the April/May timeframe, which is fine by me. Then I read that it won't be until August/September, and I don't want to wait that long. My dealer says June, but since I don't haven't built a relationship with him yet, I don't know how much I can trust that statement.
So do any of you have any good information on the release date, or is it just too early to tell?
And a related question, do Subarus typically release at different times for different parts of the country? I'm in the Portland, OR area if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I was told that I could expect '10 Legacy Information come May.

I remember the 08's coming out pretty early. I feel like the 07 XT Sports was only on the market for a few months before the 08's were out.

#3 ·
I believe the 2009's came out in late February or early March, becasue I purchased mine in April.

As far as the 2010, with the global economy the way it is, don't know if any auto maker is in rush to introduce new models (they can't get rid of the old ones).

#5 ·
Typically when a cam maker releases a NEW and REDESIGNED model it will be released in the spring prior to the actual year (i.e. the '09 Forester released in Feb 2008) but they will only release the next year model in late Summer or early Fall of the next year (i.e. 2010 Forester (no major changes) on dealer lots between July and September 2009). Hope that helps! :biggrin:

#6 ·
Yup, that is exactly what happened with the current gen Sienna. We bought the first "year" (2004) of it but it had already been out for what 16 months if I recall right. And it got no major changes till 2006 or 7 when it got a bigger motor.

#11 ·
I would imagine there are running changes...

I am hoping that Subaru will have fixed the very few problems (like the rattling door baffles) as soon as they realized there was an issue. They certainly fixed their engine problems with the turbo motor ASAP. Having an '09 with 13k miles on it, there are really no other problems, certainly none that would involve a major redesign of a component or feature.

Between model years, the bigger changes may be things like offering different color options, revising option packages, etc.

One thing to think about is that if you do NOT keep cars for 10 years (like we do), then having a car one year newer will generally fetch you more resale. From this resale standpoint, I got a "free year" on my '09, which is still quite current, although I've owned it since last April.

George

#14 ·
Hi All,
... it is quite elderly ('84 Accord, 290k miles).

Thanks in advance.
I just replaced my old '93 Accord that with a '09 Forester. And I thought it was way old. Seems middle aged compared to your '84.

I was a little hesitant buying the 1st model year after a major redesign but went ahead and did it because the Forester had the most head & leg room and comfortable seats of all the small SUVs I tried. I'm hoping that since I got it later in the model year they got most of the kinks out by now.

How can you tell the date your car was manufactured?

This is my 1st Subaru so I hope it turns out to be as good as my old Honda was.

#15 ·
The VIN plate on the driver's door or door jamb will have the month and year of manufacture.

And yeah, after almost 15k miles, I LOVE the head and legroom, and the seats are perfect for my bad back (I need no exaggerated lumbar support).

George

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.