User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 06
Car Model: WRX
Transmission: 6mt
2004 Forester XT

Hello, looking to buy a subaru forester XT, the guy is asking 6K for this machine. It has 95,000 miles on it. I'm hoping that it had the timing belt changed. What do you guys think about this? Should I offer him 5K cash?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 06:13 AM
SF.org Hero

Car Year: 04
Car Model: FXTi
Transmission: 5MT
Depends on the condition of the vehicle, but 6k is a good price...well below book.
Timing belt job can cost a little bit, but even with the added cost of getting it done, you are still getting a good deal. If you are ok with a wrench you could even do it yourself...it's a pretty easy job, actually.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleestak View Post
Depends on the condition of the vehicle, but 6k is a good price...well below book.
Timing belt job can cost a little bit, but even with the added cost of getting it done, you are still getting a good deal. If you are ok with a wrench you could even do it yourself...it's a pretty easy job, actually.
Yeah, what else should I look for? Do the head gaskets go in the 2004s? I'm a diesel mechanic and I've done quite a bit of timing belts in subarus for some strange reason! The wife and I are looking for something that can haul a bit of junk when we go on vacation. It's a three hour drive from us so I'm hoping to get there and test drive it. If I make the trip I'll have good reason for buying it if it's in good shape. From the pictures it looks very clean.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 07:28 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: Auto
That's a steal unless it's beat. I'm guessing beat. Look over it with a fine tooth comb and be sure you take it on the highway.

A good XT is usually sold before it hits the lot in my neck of the woods.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 08:03 AM
SF.org Hero

Car Year: 04
Car Model: FXTi
Transmission: 5MT
Check for leaks, give a good listen to the transmission and wheel bearings. I know the rears can be prone to go around 100k'ish
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Yeah, I'll let everyone know. Working with my bank to get the money and then I'm going to test drive it. I'm not to worried about parts, subaru has a awesome after market.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5XT
Transmission: AT
biggest concerns around that mileage: gasket leaking, radiator cracking, almost time for 120k maint (spark plugs & belts, oils which are pretty pricey), rear bearings, turbo seal failing, banjo bolt filter starving turbo, drivers/passenger window gasket failing

those are things i looked out for when i picked up my forester. you have a REALLY good price. i got my 117k forester for 7k and i was pretty happy about it already

goodluck!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannerd View Post
Hello, looking to buy a subaru forester XT, the guy is asking 6K for this machine. It has 95,000 miles on it. I'm hoping that it had the timing belt changed. What do you guys think about this? Should I offer him 5K cash?
no matter what you pay, have it inspected by a mechanic before you buy. $100-$200 for a mechanical inspection could save you $1000's. always have a used car checked out before purchase.

but 6k sounds like a deal. may as well try to haggle for 5k if he'll deal.

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0 XT Premium
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 03:03 PM
The Seventh Sister
Administrator

Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
I would recommend a compression and leakdown test before purchase of any XT around 100k miles or over.

-Silke
04 FXT PP PSM ~ "Subed"
98 Forester S ~ "Slynki"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Deal fell through.. so my search continues. We looked at it and had a good communication with the seller just to find out they already were in an agreement with someone else(two days later). Wife isn't to happy because she was really excited about it. Oh well.. moving on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.