2.5XT Premium or Touring? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2.5XT Premium or Touring?

I was debating between and Outback or a Forester and after looking at and driving them today I'm set on a Forester. I thought I wanted the 2.5XT Touring but the leather quality doesn't seem that great to me and I like the cloth seating in the Foresters. Also, my dealer has 2 XT Touring models in stock but they are both silver and that's the last color I'd want. The dealer told me there's one black XT Touring within a 100 miles and it's not guaranteed they can get it.

They did say that there are 2 black and 1 white XT Premiums that they would be able to get. Like I said, I like the cloth interior but I like the upgraded sound system and the HID's in the Touring. Ordering would take 2 months and I really don't want to wait that long. With the $2k in accessories they priced for me I think the Premium comes out to roughly $29k and the Touring is $32k. This is just MSRP. I didn't do any price negotiating yet. And I'll be paying cash. Don't know if that helps or hurts with the price. None of the Touring or Premium models they can get have navigation, which I would prefer, but I can live with a portable system. Or just upgrade the sound system with an Alpine built in navi system.

So with my dilemma, would you go with the Premium which I can definitely get, or go with the touring, which I'll probably have to order? I wanted to get the car this week, but I also don't want to rush and get something that isn't 100% the way I want it.
Philly215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

spending 30k is not something you want to rush, if you have to order it so what. your getting the car YOU wanted, not the car that they want you to have, and im guessing cash wont hurt, but might help?? i mean who doesnt love 30k in cash???
FPT_RAIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester 2.5X Prem

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPT_RAIDER View Post
spending 30k is not something you want to rush, if you have to order it so what. your getting the car YOU wanted, not the car that they want you to have, and im guessing cash wont hurt, but might help?? i mean who doesnt love 30k in cash???
^^ +1. You are not at the model year end that you have to get the car they have. Premium or Touring, get the car you want with the int/ext color you like most. I don't think cash makes a huge difference. During my purchase the dealer mentioned that funding from the bank is usually quick hence they don't really care if it's cash or financed. But may be your dealer is different...you never know.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well I was considering the Katzkin leather upgrade anyway. It would be smarter to go with the Premium if I was going to do this. Any I'd probably upgrade the sound system whether I had the Premium or Touring. I like the White pearl but hate the interior that comes in those so I'll probably go with the black premium and put in a nice sound system. Then I'll do the Katzkin leather down the line if I don't like the cloth, but I think I will.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Smooshed FOTY 2011

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester 2.5 XT
Transmission: 5-Speed MT
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

But the Touring has that new super sesky dash.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fox View Post
But the Touring has that new super sesky dash.
What's different about it?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Smooshed FOTY 2011

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester 2.5 XT
Transmission: 5-Speed MT
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

^^ The Touring has kickass gauges and a digital A/C controls (dual climate I believe), the Premium still has the regular blue gauges with the ginormous gas gauge.

PREMIUM:

TOURING:

Old 12-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

O yea that's much nicer. You wouldn't think the dash is a big deal but to me it is. It's what you spend the most time looking at on your car so it's pretty important imo. And the touring looks like it's much higher quality. Dam this makes my decision tougher.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5X

The touring model looks like it has one of those LCD screens which come on with a message: TIME FOR SERVICE! I prefer the older style, manual heater and AC control. No GPS. No Blue tooth. If they had a Forester with manual hand crank windows, I would have gotten that. And that auto stick in the console....I long for the days when the auto shifter was on the column and I had a bench seat in the front!
Old 12-28-2010, 05:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car Model: Forester Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
The touring model looks like it has one of those LCD screens which come on with a message: TIME FOR SERVICE! I prefer the older style, manual heater and AC control. No GPS. No Blue tooth. If they had a Forester with manual hand crank windows, I would have gotten that. And that auto stick in the console....I long for the days when the auto shifter was on the column and I had a bench seat in the front!
Agree with Trailangel. The new dash display is both juvenlile and distracting. The "mileage gauge" is particularly unfortunate. Just IMO...
Old 12-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester
Default Touring!

Just to make your decision a bit harder; I'm 3000 miles into a 2011 Forester XT Touring and love it. I was also between driving home a Premium or ordering a Touring. The night I decided to order the Premium the dealer found a Touring. A few comments:

You mentioned the leather. I'm a cloth guy but went with the leather because the car was almost a impulse buy. The leather is much nicer than I first thought. Certainly a huge improvement in feel and breathability than the leather in our recently departed 2004 legacy wagon. You may be surprised and not require the upgrade.

Regarding the LCD screen - it's harmless. You can turn off the mileage gauge with one press of a button. If you really hate looking at the information the screen displays you can replace the information with a jpeg you load from a memory stick. The image will not fill the entire screen but does remove the information. The system locks you out of being able to adjust certain functions such as base, treble, balance, ect when moving. Kind of a PITA but Subaru has to be diligent with our over zealous, sue everyone for our own stupid mistakes mentality.
mikegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5X 5sp

I'm not a leather fan myself, because I like to keep a car awhile and it never lasts.
I was a bit dissapointed in the way the packages are put together regarding color and the availabilty of a 5sp in the upper trims.
I'm not aware of the flexibilty if you have one built, but if you could get the model you wanted and be able to chose the paint and interior colors I think it'd be worth the wait.
White with black interior would be my combo, don't care for the sickly light grey color...
rkcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Taking a Walkabout in the Outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fox View Post

TOURING:

I'm sorry but that is just so ironic if not odd. It's like using a manual shift knob for an automatic; like putting a jalapeno pepper into an ice cream cone with ice cream. It just looks so odd.
ImaginaryFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

Car Model: Forester Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryFigment View Post
I'm sorry but that is just so ironic if not odd. It's like using a manual shift knob for an automatic; like putting a jalapeno pepper into an ice cream cone with ice cream. It just looks so odd.
It looks like a Shure SM58 -

Old 12-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Gallery: 4

I don't think this is the Premium. I think its the 2011 Limited (7-spd fan).

Here is the 2011 Premium (manual 4-spd fan) according to cars101.com

penk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping