Subaru's aero cross bars (E361SSG000) + Thule 625 Force XL = OK combination? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Utility and Protection
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Automatic
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Subaru's aero cross bars (E361SSG000) + Thule 625 Force XL = OK combination?

A month or so ago I knew absolutely nothing about rooftop cargo boxes or cross bars. Over the past several weeks I have tried to learn everything I could about these products. It has been more complicated than I ever would have imagined. I think that I have *finally* made a purchase decision but before I make the plunge I want to check with all of you to see if I am overlooking anything....

I've settled on the the Subaru aero bars because (1) of the apparent ease of installation, (2), the significantly lower cost as compared to third party aero bars, (3) the peace of mind that the bars were specifically designed to fit on my specific vehicle. I wish the bars could be locked with a key but I can't afford the third party aero bars that offer that feature.

At first I thought about matching the Subaru aero bars with a Subaru cargo box (E361SAJ200) but decided against it when I read the manual and realized that the method of attaching the box to the bars is much more cumbersome, time consuming, and susceptible to human error than Thule's quick grip attachment system. Subaru's box appears to be an old version of Thule's evolution 1600 box with antiquated hardware. I don't understand why Subaru is selling outdated equipment at a premium price.

Anyhow... before I finalize my purchases I wanted to see if I've made any mistakes with these choices. Can anyone see any problems with using this Thule box with Subaru's aero bars on a 2014 Forester? Thule's website suggested that the box should fit the bars just fine.
MidwestGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: Auto
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGuy View Post
I don't understand why Subaru is selling outdated equipment at a premium price.
Because people buy it

Quote:
Can anyone see any problems with using this Thule box with Subaru's aero bars on a 2014 Forester? Thule's website suggested that the box should fit the bars just fine.
The only issue I see you running into is that most aftermarket racks use a round or square for the cross bars. While they do make the aerodynamic ones, like you said they are expensive.

That being said, in the future if you decide to buy bike racks, ski racks, etc. You might run into issues where those parts don't fit the aero bars.
MtnMauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
On Island Time
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i Prem.
Transmission: 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

If you get the bike/kayak clamps (takes a bolt vertically) and the ski clamps (takes a bolt horizontally) from Subaru, you can fit most aftermarket rack bits. Most Subaru rack parts are Subaru-branded Yakima.
North Ursalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Because people buy it
Old 07-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Transmission: CVT
Default aero cross bar set up

Midwest Guy. I am in the same situation that you are in. Well, at least the first part - putting cross bars on my 2014 Forester. I will probably need a cargo box in the future but my more immediate need is for hauling my kayak to the lake this summer.

So I am wondering where you purchased your OEM aero cross bars. Did you get them from your dealer or online? Also wondered if you considered Malone bars. I have read good things about them here on this forum.

Also curious of your opinion of how easy the bars were to install and your thoughts on their quality.

Thanks!
Yitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yitty View Post
Midwest Guy. I am in the same situation that you are in. Well, at least the first part - putting cross bars on my 2014 Forester. I will probably need a cargo box in the future but my more immediate need is for hauling my kayak to the lake this summer.

So I am wondering where you purchased your OEM aero cross bars. Did you get them from your dealer or online? Also wondered if you considered Malone bars. I have read good things about them here on this forum.

Also curious of your opinion of how easy the bars were to install and your thoughts on their quality.

Thanks!

I purchased the aero bars from Subaru Parts Warehouse - Subaru Parts - Subaru Performance Parts. The were listed at $147.56. I went to RetailMeNot: Coupon Codes, Coupons, Promo Codes, Free Shipping and Discounts for Thousands of Stores and found a discount coupon for the aforementioned website. The coupon reduced the price to $118. With shipping the total came to $133.

I did consider the Malone bars but decided against them because of reviews I read in which people complained that they are noisy (wind).

I haven't installed the aero bars yet so I can't tell you how easy/hard they are.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
I purchased the aero bars from Subaru Parts Warehouse - Subaru Parts - Subaru Performance Parts. The were listed at $147.56. I went to RetailMeNot: Coupon Codes, Coupons, Promo Codes, Free Shipping and Discounts for Thousands of Stores and found a discount coupon for the aforementioned website. The coupon reduced the price to $118. With shipping the total came to $133.
Now that is some good shopping! Thanks for the links.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

I did consider the Malone bars but decided against them because of reviews I read in which people complained that they are noisy (wind).

I haven't installed the aero bars yet so I can't tell you how easy/hard they are.
How did you find 2014 forester parts?? They only go up to 2013!!
GeoSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoSol View Post
How did you find 2014 forester parts?? They only go up to 2013!!
Do a search for "2014."
scaribas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Transmission: 4EAT

I'm also in the market for a bike rack for a 2012 Forester and here is where I am stuck due to not knowing what can fit on the Factory Aero Bars together.

I already have 2 Raptor bike racks on my Outback but after having them both mounted for probably the past 3 years, I think I've had 2 bikes on the roof of my Outback maybe 2-3 times ONLY!!!! So the idea was to buy the factory Aero Bars for the Forester and take 1 of the Raptor bike racks and mount it on there... only cost to me are the Aero Bars (~$145).

The question I have to you all is... Would a Cargo Box (such as Yakima Rocketbox 14) AND a bike rack fit on the Factory Aero Bars side by side?

If not, I think I may have to go with Yakima round bars to make them both fit which at this point would cost me about (~$400 - $450).

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank You.
8kGoodEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Transmission: Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8kGoodEnuff View Post

The question I have to you all is... Would a Cargo Box (such as Yakima Rocketbox 14) AND a bike rack fit on the Factory Aero Bars side by side?

If not, I think I may have to go with Yakima round bars to make them both fit which at this point would cost me about (~$400 - $450).

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank You.
I seriously doubt they will fit. Usually I see people rocking yakima bars that extend past the roof rails and they are rocking the cargo box in the middle and the bikes are on the outer edges, usually over hanging the doors.
MtnMauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Transmission: 4EAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnMauler View Post
I seriously doubt they will fit. Usually I see people rocking yakima bars that extend past the roof rails and they are rocking the cargo box in the middle and the bikes are on the outer edges, usually over hanging the doors.
That's what I thought cause I've seen that as well. To me, as long as the bars don't extend past the mirrors, I don't see it being bad or looking riduculous.

Thanks.
8kGoodEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yitty View Post

Thanks!

UPDATE. I've installed the OEM aero cross bars and they were exceptionally easy to install.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
UPDATE. I've installed the OEM aero cross bars and they were exceptionally easy to install.
Thanks for the update! Glad to know it was an easy install.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

I did the install as well only ran into one problem mixing the front bar with the rear.
The rear was shorter than the front.
lcrazyaznl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Utility and Protection