sleeping in the back (merged thread) - Page 7 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 305 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wow, thanks for sharing all the info on this topic.

Instead of the thermarest, I was thinking going for this since it's thicker and does have a foam core:

REI Camp Bed 2.5 Self-Inflating Pad - Regular at REI.com

I was thinking about the Reflectix too, but it seems like a lot of work. I'd have to applaud you if you are able to pull it off. It seems a lot simpler to buy a piece of black fabric and use a series of hooks and tabs instead (so far). I'd prefer to leave my windows untinted. I drove a car with tinted windows once. While it looked cool during the day, it was somewhat harder to see out at night. Almost backed into someone once too! The other thing I just realized is won't the cops give you a hard time for having your windows covered-up?

Sadly I don't have the small round plastic cover at the hatch. Not on my old '02 model. Exiting from the hatch is not an option. Bummer.

I just want a nice comfortable place to catch a few Z's during my lunch hour, and I think it would be awkward for people to see me climbing in/out of my rear door. So I tried to push my front passenger seat all the way forward and recline it all the way back to form a bed, but the back of the seat still makes contact with the rear bench! This 'ol Forester of mine just doesn't have the perks you guys have with the latest models. Oh well.

I was thinking about removing the rear bench cushion so that the front seat would fold flat, but then what would I replace it with? Roll-cage?? I'm starting to think it may be time for a new car. That's another topic altogether, because I'm actually thinking about either a new Forester or *gasp* Honda Element.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 305 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: forester
I'm 6'3 and I sleep in the foz cargo area. got a roof basket so my cargo is almost empty. I spent 4 day on an offroad trip sleeping in my car(1st time sleeping in it) and happy like that, especially when offroading in "black bear land"! got a 2" thermarest self inflating mat and love it. travelling alone, I only fold half the bench(passenger side) so I can leave the bed done while driving. when time to sleep, I slide the front passenger seat all the way to the front and recline it forward so I've got max space to sleep. I'm still hesitating between a roof top tent and a ground tent so I'll keep sleeping in the subie until then.

post #93 of 305 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 09
Car Model: forester
Transmission: A/T
has anyone tried this if it fits our 09?Coleman SUV Air Bed Reviews - Walmart.com looks like good deal

09 limited
post #94 of 305 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This was an important criteria as I was shopping for a replacement for my '97 Pathfinder. Any vehicle with rear seats that didn't lay flat was quickly eliminated. Still haven't had a chance to sleep in the Forester, but I'm hoping to soon.

The car salesmen were a little weirded out by me climbing in the back and laying down. I should have insisted on a 20 minute nap time!
post #95 of 305 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 01:45 PM
The Sub kit guy
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester X & XT VF39
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tok282 View Post
has anyone tried this if it fits our 09?Coleman SUV Air Bed Reviews - Walmart.com looks like good deal
That's the one I use in my 05 Foresters, and it worked great but i have to squeeze it in around the strut towers. I think it would fit nearly perfect in an 09.

05 Forester XTi Premium M/T (bobbytuned VF39)(his)
05 Forester X A/T (hers)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #96 of 305 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Forum Member

yeah I've done that with my roommate whenever we go camping and part in an RV park. feels funny with all those huge RVs next to us. we are pretty small, 5'1 and 5'2, and I just sleep in my driver's seat and her in her passenger side. the first time we spent the night in the car was because we went to Alaska and tried to camp out, but moist came right through our little tent and sleeping bags, then we gave it up and crawled into our rental car. Since then we loved camping out in the car. Now with a forester, it gets pretty comfortable.

back in college I used to try to save gas money by sleeping in my car on campus, because at the time I lived far from school and all my friends had graduated already, I had no place to crash for a night comfortably.

Last edited by peta_x8x8; 06-08-2009 at 07:48 PM.
post #97 of 305 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: FXT Limited
Transmission: 4EAT Sport Shift
One solution I've used, where carcamping is the choice, is a tent from Cabelas that includes a "tunnel" attachment that goes from the tent side, and encloses the hatch/tailgate configuration...easily detaches and "sphincters" shut, keeping the tent intact, and allowing your Forester to pull away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticforester View Post
I'm 6'3 and I sleep in the foz cargo area. got a roof basket so my cargo is almost empty. I spent 4 day on an offroad trip sleeping in my car(1st time sleeping in it) and happy like that, especially when offroading in "black bear land"! got a 2" thermarest self inflating mat and love it. travelling alone, I only fold half the bench(passenger side) so I can leave the bed done while driving. when time to sleep, I slide the front passenger seat all the way to the front and recline it forward so I've got max space to sleep. I'm still hesitating between a roof top tent and a ground tent so I'll keep sleeping in the subie until then.

2010 FXT Limited 4EAT - Sage Green
post #98 of 305 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 03:56 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: Outback
Hey guys,

Currently we (my and my g/f) re planning to buy our first subaru an this would be either '00 forester or legacy outback. Hence my question: anybody knows whether it's possible to sleep in the outback as weel?

Cheers,

PS: OK, I got my answer :-)

Last edited by pamejudd; 06-14-2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: update
post #99 of 305 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: 2.5X
Transmission: 5mt
Heres something I been working on. Just to give another foot and a half of length for bunking. Prototype design. Trying out if sleeping in the back would be pratical for a short camping trip. Not done with it yet. Tried to match the slight incline of the back seat. Air mattress shall work good with a 12v air pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sleeper 1.jpg
Views:	11197
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	18054   Click image for larger version

Name:	sleeper 2.jpg
Views:	14101
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	18055  

2007 Subaru Forester 2.5X MT
165,000+ Miles

Last edited by Nick D; 06-18-2009 at 09:19 AM.
post #100 of 305 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: OBXT
I simply turn my head rests around, so they are facing back (or up when the seats are folded down). Then I put a couple of large pillows on top of the head rests to level it out.
While it doesn't yield nearly as much additional room as Nick D's set up, it does provide a good 8-9 more inches of space.

08 OBXT 5EAT
post #101 of 305 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Subaru Forester XT
Transmission: 5 speed manual.
All great ideas... me and my girlfriend enjoy going to the drive-in to watch movies as well while in the back. She's 5'10"or 5'11", and Im 6'2" and we're actually both comfortable back there. :) If there isn't any nasty wildlife and if the bugs are fine, you could kill the interior lights and just leave the hatch open too. If the bugs are bad, close the hatch and spoon. :)

The back seats not folding completely flat is actually great for drive-ins, since you're propped up a little. :D

2004 Subaru Forester XT. 5MT Java Black Pearl.
post #102 of 305 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5x ll beaner
"Close the hatch and spoon" That made me laugh..This thread should be renamed to
"The Art of Naping in Your Ride".
post #103 of 305 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Subaru Forester XT
Transmission: 5 speed manual.
Without clothes. ;) I recommend tint. dark dark tint!

2004 Subaru Forester XT. 5MT Java Black Pearl.
post #104 of 305 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 03:00 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDan View Post
All great ideas... me and my girlfriend enjoy going to the drive-in to watch movies as well while in the back. She's 5'10"or 5'11", and Im 6'2" and we're actually both comfortable back there. :) If there isn't any nasty wildlife and if the bugs are fine, you could kill the interior lights and just leave the hatch open too. If the bugs are bad, close the hatch and spoon. :)

The back seats not folding completely flat is actually great for drive-ins, since you're propped up a little. :D
Exactly what me and gf do. I had a futon that broke so we throw the mattress in the back of my car (or her grand cherokee which is a bit wider) the strut towers pinch the mattress a bit but its very comfy and perfect for camping or drive in movies. I would bet the 09 model would be even better for this!

04xt/4eat, 16g, STI bits and bobs
post #105 of 305 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: LL Bean (4EAT)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick D View Post
Heres something I been working on. Just to give another foot and a half of length for bunking...
Is that a sheet of plywood laid over the folded rear seat?

2008 LL Bean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Utility and Protection

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode