Security on Subaru (Yakima) roof bike racks - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Forester
Security on Subaru (Yakima) roof bike racks

Have a 2001 Forester with stock Aero bars, and recently picked up a recent, almost new condition Subaru dual-bike roof rack for really good price (I love when people do "local pickup" on ebay). It seems to be a pair of Yakima Raptor Aeros with Subaru stickers and an additional bar running parallel to the crossbars which I like as it seems to make it less prone to lean.

It fits perfectly, meets my needs and locks on the bike. The problem is that the rack doesn't lock to the crossbars, the crossbars don't lock to the rails and I live in New York City and street park so, (a) I'd prefer to make it harder for someone to steal, even when empty, and (b) I don't have space to take the rack off and leave it home.

Wondering how others have approached this: My initial thoughts are:
(1) I figure that I can find some M6 1.0X55mm security bolds (e.g., Pin Torx or better) for the cross bars
(2) replace the Torx bolts that mount it to the plastic clips that hold the Aero bars (I think these clips are just versions of the older "Mighty Mounts".) Does anyone know the size/pitch on these bolts?
(3) is it possible to use the "Accessory Lock Housing" on the mighty mounts clips that attach the rack to the crossbars?

Have I missed anything? Anywhere else that I need the Accessory Lock Housing?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Utility and Protection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.