Security on Subaru (Yakima) roof bike racks - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Utility and Protection
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Forester
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Security on Subaru (Yakima) roof bike racks

Have a 2001 Forester with stock Aero bars, and recently picked up a recent, almost new condition Subaru dual-bike roof rack for really good price (I love when people do "local pickup" on ebay). It seems to be a pair of Yakima Raptor Aeros with Subaru stickers and an additional bar running parallel to the crossbars which I like as it seems to make it less prone to lean.

It fits perfectly, meets my needs and locks on the bike. The problem is that the rack doesn't lock to the crossbars, the crossbars don't lock to the rails and I live in New York City and street park so, (a) I'd prefer to make it harder for someone to steal, even when empty, and (b) I don't have space to take the rack off and leave it home.

Wondering how others have approached this: My initial thoughts are:
(1) I figure that I can find some M6 1.0X55mm security bolds (e.g., Pin Torx or better) for the cross bars
(2) replace the Torx bolts that mount it to the plastic clips that hold the Aero bars (I think these clips are just versions of the older "Mighty Mounts".) Does anyone know the size/pitch on these bolts?
(3) is it possible to use the "Accessory Lock Housing" on the mighty mounts clips that attach the rack to the crossbars?

Have I missed anything? Anywhere else that I need the Accessory Lock Housing?

thanks
JustAnotherPoorSlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Utility and Protection