4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester 2.0XT
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I installed the Rok Blokz today. Overall very easy install. Only issue, which has been mentioned is the inside screw on the front guards is too short. I was able to fix the problem by reversing the clip so that the thread part is on the outside. There is a little tab on the bottom of the clip thread side, but the fender cover fit nicely over it. Overall installation is solid. I also used some Locktite on the screw threads to ensure that do not work lose.

The rear guards went on without removing the tires, but you will need an offset ratcheting screwdriver to tighten the screws. I picked up one at Harbor Freight for $5.

An additional note, the Rok Blokz logo on the guards are a reflective white material, so they will light up as other cars approach you at night.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 06:01 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5iPremium
Garage
Good to hear 'sage'. I was torn between the Rokbloz and the OEM ones, only because I like the guaranteed fit of the OEM ones, but I don't think they provide any protection ... Can any one prove or comment on that?

For people who have installed the Rokbloz.... is it a solid install that won't pull out?
Do they have their downsides like I've heard with the RA's like not sitting straight/flat or hitting the ground?

Thanks

14' 2.5i Premium.
post #48 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 06:32 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsen View Post
Good to hear 'sage'. I was torn between the Rokbloz and the OEM ones, only because I like the guaranteed fit of the OEM ones, but I don't think they provide any protection ... Can any one prove or comment on that?

For people who have installed the Rokbloz.... is it a solid install that won't pull out?
Do they have their downsides like I've heard with the RA's like not sitting straight/flat or hitting the ground?

Thanks
These Rok Blokz are rok solid. Still plenty of ground clearance. And they look OEM. The flaps also give the Fozzy a nicer looking stance, giving it a little more width around the lower section of it.

post #49 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 11:47 AM

Car Model: Forester XT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Has anybody installed these with the OEM splash guards? Since mine came with the OEM splash guards I am missing the plastic cladding that they took off to install the splash guards. Anybody have a picture of mud flaps installed with splash guards?
post #50 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

My rally armors yesterday ripped off the other night getting caught on the wheel.

It bent the rear bracket and tore off with no damage. Guess that is the only good thing. about their design but i'm going to try and fix the bracket.
post #51 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exbauer View Post
Has anybody installed these with the OEM splash guards? Since mine came with the OEM splash guards I am missing the plastic cladding that they took off to install the splash guards. Anybody have a picture of mud flaps installed with splash guards?
This is what the RB's look like on the front. I think you are referring to the plastic cladding between the flap and the door.

post #52 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 07:59 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
This is what the RB's look like on the front. I think you are referring to the plastic cladding between the flap and the door.

Thanks for the pics. I have the splash guards already installed and they removed the cladding to install the splash guard. So, when I take them off it will be blank where the cladding was. So, my only option is to install the mud guards with the splash guards. I wanted to see if anybody did that and what it looks like.
post #53 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exbauer View Post
Thanks for the pics. I have the splash guards already installed and they removed the cladding to install the splash guard. So, when I take them off it will be blank where the cladding was. So, my only option is to install the mud guards with the splash guards. I wanted to see if anybody did that and what it looks like.
It looks possible. The issue you might run into is the thickness of putting one guard on top of the other. Length of screws could be an issue and possible hitting the tire. The other possibility would be just doing the rear guards and leaving the front OEM.
post #54 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: FXT Ltd
I've worked at other Japanese dealerships and they all come with OEM flaps in Canada, so I was surprised to see I didnt have flaps today when I was washing my car haha.

Ordered RB's, was a tough choice between them and Gorillas. Will take pics when they arrive :)
post #55 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 12:18 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 4eat
Amazon: look for polyethylene sheets, the best part is it costs a fraction of the pre cut ones, and if there to short OR crooked blame yourself!! mine did everything i wanted them to..

post #56 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 10:08 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Lineartronic CVT
Spacer required?

So I ran into the same problem with the Gorilla flaps on my 14 fxt that i've read others had. the front screw does not reach the threading when the spacer is placed in there. The screw just spins because it's not engaging the clip/threading. What do the spacers do? is it required to have it behind the flap? if so what purpose does it serve? thanks
post #57 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 05:23 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avery907 View Post
So I ran into the same problem with the Gorilla flaps on my 14 fxt that i've read others had. the front screw does not reach the threading when the spacer is placed in there. The screw just spins because it's not engaging the clip/threading. What do the spacers do? is it required to have it behind the flap? if so what purpose does it serve? thanks
RB's are the same as the Gorrillas. When I did install I considered not using the spacer on that inside screw. But when I test fitted it and screwed it in, it causes the flap to curve in and I noticed it reduced the clearance from the inside edge of the flap to the tire. I was afraid the flap would make contact with the tire as I was steering and hitting bumps.

Try turning the clip inside out so that the part that threads is on the outside. I did this and was able to get the screw to thread in tightly.
post #58 of 274 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 02:21 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Subaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by avery907 View Post
... Gorilla flaps on my 14 fxt .... the front screw does not reach the threading when the spacer is placed in there.
I wrote to Gorilla on this. They need to provide longer screws for that spot. I went to the hardware store and bought a couple slightly longer screws myself. They are stainless screws, but I sprayed them with flat black primer before installing them, so it's all black in there.

Other than that, they are great. They trapped a little snow last weekend, but the snow is all around the tire in the wheel wells too. And I'm sure they kept junk from bouncing up against my car.

I'm wondering, do they affect mileage much? I dunno.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #59 of 274 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 07:58 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 98
Car Model: GM67 + 03 SG
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The "wind resistance" the mudflaps create will not diminish your mileage by any noticeable amount. We already drive toaster ovens with wheels, so "streamlined" is not a huge design feature.

Now, if a large amount of snow/ice/gunk builds up in the wheel well and rubs on the tires, that might do something to your gas mileage. But again, if you are driving in conditions where that much crap is getting stuck in the tires, gas mileage should be out the window and getting home should be the major concern.

I put some large mudflaps on my RS years ago and never saw any issues with gas mileage. I'm expecting the same with future modifications to my forester.

'03 XS Premium w/5MT
'98 2.5RS now with 100% more 5MT
post #60 of 274 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester Touring
Garage
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
here are the part numbers for the little square fender pieces for those cars that came with OEM splash guards but want to get aftermarket flaps.. Right around $12 each.

Front Fender Garnish
91112SG100
91112SG110

WYLDCAT89
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Utility and Protection

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode