Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 274 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 03:37 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: 6spd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I did the Gorilla on my '14. Look pretty nice. To keep them from flexing and curving inward on the rears you have to trim a little off the upper tab. Front drivers side spacer can be filed down to about 6mm so the flap lays flatter. Overall I'm very happy.

post #33 of 274 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: Cvt
I had put the Gorilla flaps on about 2 weeks ago. They seem ok. Here are definitely things you should know before buying Gorilla though:
Front Flaps- you will need to buy 2 longer screws because one of them is too short as others have noted.
Rear Flaps - the directions did not mention that you had to take a total of at least 5 plastic inserts off to get the 1 clip behind the wheel well correctly. They only mention to take off the 1 where the clip is suppose to go. I had to crawl under the car and bend some plastic near the exhaust to fit my hand in the back of the wheel well to put clip in place.

The Gorillas do look ok, not great like my old rally armors looked on my 2012, but then again, it seems that rally armor installation has major issues for the 2014 models. Hardware as others have stated seems very good. The fronts look pretty good in terms of running more perpendicular to the car, but the rears do bend slightly outward making it look slightly out of place. Also note that you have to put the Gorilla letters on yourself if you chose to, so i didn't even think about it when installing. It is very hard to get the letters straight when already installed. This should just be standard. For now, i put the name on the rear flaps only, leaving fronts naked. They do their job for a reasonable price so I would still recommend these. Wish i took pictures, maybe one day.

post #34 of 274 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 14
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenboots10 View Post
I had put the Gorilla flaps on about 2 weeks ago. They seem ok. Here are definitely things you should know before buying Gorilla though:
Front Flaps- you will need to buy 2 longer screws because one of them is too short as others have noted.
Rear Flaps - the directions did not mention that you had to take a total of at least 5 plastic inserts off to get the 1 clip behind the wheel well correctly. They only mention to take off the 1 where the clip is suppose to go. I had to crawl under the car and bend some plastic near the exhaust to fit my hand in the back of the wheel well to put clip in place.

The Gorillas do look ok, not great like my old rally armors looked on my 2012, but then again, it seems that rally armor installation has major issues for the 2014 models. Hardware as others have stated seems very good. The fronts look pretty good in terms of running more perpendicular to the car, but the rears do bend slightly outward making it look slightly out of place. Also note that you have to put the Gorilla letters on yourself if you chose to, so i didn't even think about it when installing. It is very hard to get the letters straight when already installed. This should just be standard. For now, i put the name on the rear flaps only, leaving fronts naked. They do their job for a reasonable price so I would still recommend these. Wish i took pictures, maybe one day.
I got a refund for the price I pqid for the longer screws. The gorilla flaps have been working well of me so far.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2014 Forester XT Premium
2005 Outback XT 5MT
post #35 of 274 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 06:04 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: X
Transmission: 5MT
In what material are the Gorilla made of? Would they resist breaking in winter in case you accidentally tear them while backing up?

Just wondering, I already have the best ones made by Dahu.

2008 Forester 2.5X 5MT Newport Blue
post #36 of 274 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 09:31 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: 2.5X Touring
Transmission: Automatic
Gorilla

Anyone know if Gorilla ships to Canada and if so at what additional cost?

Cheers, Jay
post #37 of 274 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 06:45 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: X
Transmission: 5MT
DAHU makes some, he's from Quebec.

You can PM him here.

Gallery, on another forum.

I have them on my Foz and on my gf's car. Really good product, doesn't break in winter, doesn't fold. It's made out of thick rubber with metal inside. He must have sold a few hundred in Quebec.

2008 Forester 2.5X 5MT Newport Blue
post #38 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 04:41 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 06
Car Model: Forester STI
Transmission: 2006 USDM sti 6 m/t DCCD pro
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thank for refering!
post #39 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 04:55 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Gorilla is the way to go!

You say Simpan - you think dirty!!!
post #40 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 06:43 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.0XT
I'm thinking of getting the Gorilla's. Can anyone tell me if the mounting hardware is stainless steel?

post #41 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Forum Member

After reading through all the forum posts I decided to get the Rok Blokz. They look basically the same as the Gorillas, are $10 cheaper and come with stainless steel hardware. A number of Gorillas posts mention purchasing SS hardware to replace the stuff that came with the Gorillas. I think this should have been included in the install kit.
post #42 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Taking a Walkabout in the Outback

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: 2.5x
Transmission: auto
Love my Gorilla flaps!
Protect the side from rocks, and mud now knows where to go!
post #43 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Lineartronic CVT
Tires off, or on?

Just to clarify, do you HAVE to take the tires off to install the gorilla flaps? If you don't have to take the tires off, is it really difficult or just a nuisance? Also, if I leave the rear tires on do I need to jack the car up? As you can tell, I am going for the easiest, quickest install. I read that some of you just turned the steering wheel to get the front flaps on... how about the rear? Thanks
billyno1 likes this.
post #44 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by avery907 View Post
Just to clarify, do you HAVE to take the tires off to install the gorilla flaps? If you don't have to take the tires off, is it really difficult or just a nuisance? Also, if I leave the rear tires on do I need to jack the car up? As you can tell, I am going for the easiest, quickest install. I read that some of you just turned the steering wheel to get the front flaps on... how about the rear? Thanks
dont have to jack up the rear to mount the flaps, just need to use a torque wrench that is compact. for the front wheels you just have to turn the tires.
post #45 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Forum Member

I got my RokBlokz splash guards in the mail today. The material is very solid and durable. Nice very detailed instructions. Looks like a one hour or less install. I should be able to do these without removing back wheels as I have an offset ratcheting screwdriver set. I'll do this project tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Utility and Protection

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode