post #1 of 274 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 14
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
'14 + Best mud flaps

Planning on getting some mud flaps for my wife's xt. We skipped on the OEM ones as they didn't look like they would be very useful. We get lots of snow and the occasional rock or mud opportunity so I want something that will actually do something.
I have Flapatax on my 06 Legacy and they are very functional, but I've never been thrilled with the rounded look.
I've looked at Rally Armor. They look great, are available now but they are floppy and expensive.
Rokblokz and Gorilla look appealing as they are sturdy like flapatax, but look better and are cheaper than rally armor but they aren't available and I know it can take some of the smaller companies some time to locate and measure new models.
Also, this is a lease so I'd like something with some kind of resale which makes me think rally armor might be the way to go.
What are other opinions, buy rally armor now or wait for rokblokz or gorilla?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2014 Forester XT Premium
2005 Outback XT 5MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 274 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: Battle Wagon
Transmission: The Lazy One
Garage
I have Gorilla and wouldn't have done it any differently. They're oversized and really well made. I've scraped them and smashed them and still remain in original shape.

I woukd be interested to see if the three bolts are the same as the 13. Mihht be worth checking into because you could always dremel the holes to fit

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1372093524127.jpg
Views:	5393
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	72025  

ALWAYS UNDER CONSTRUCTION

IG - @kingfuzzz
post #3 of 274 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2014
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If your picky its best to wait. If you need it function now then get the rally armor.
Kind of like the weather mats for me I needed them to protect the car, but should have waited since now I have to sell mine for the newer ones.

post #4 of 274 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfuzz View Post
I have Gorilla and wouldn't have done it any differently. They're oversized and really well made. I've scraped them and smashed them and still remain in original shape.

I woukd be interested to see if the three bolts are the same as the 13. Mihht be worth checking into because you could always dremel the holes to fit

I'd prefer not to have to dril new holes. I had to do that with my Flapatax flaps on my Legacy. If I plan to drill holes I'd just buy generic and cut them myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrazyaznl View Post
If your picky its best to wait. If you need it function now then get the rally armor.
Kind of like the weather mats for me I needed them to protect the car, but should have waited since now I have to sell mine for the newer ones.

I understand that. I got the OEM AWM for the forester as they are excellent on my Legacy... Not so much on the forester. Had I known what they were like I would have skipped and put the $ towards something fitted.

2014 Forester XT Premium
2005 Outback XT 5MT
post #5 of 274 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: XT
Transmission: 4-EAT
Get the Gorilla's...excellent product...keeps the crap off the paint, super vendor to deal with, easy to install.

05 G35 Coupe, 02 Jetta TDI, 86 RX-7 & a Fire Truck
post #6 of 274 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 10:35 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: STI
Transmission: 6MT (2005)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Gorilla all the way. They protect really well and don't "flap" when you're driving like all the other ametuer flaps do.*

*See Rally Armor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Snoshado; 06-25-2013 at 10:46 AM.
post #7 of 274 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: X w/PZEV
Transmission: 4EAT
I have the Gorilla flaps. I like them, but sometimes I feel like they're a bit TOO stiff. They're great in winter, all the snow and dirt just slide right down when you give it a gentle kick, and it tends to be self-cleaning as you're driving.

The only problem I have is when I've got the car loaded down with 4 people plus gear, the rear sags so much that the bottom of the flap scrapes against the bottoms of driveways when I back out.
post #8 of 274 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

rally armors for my forester 2014
xt

I installed mine today not too bad
post #9 of 274 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: STI
Transmission: 6MT (2005)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
I have the Gorilla flaps. I like them, but sometimes I feel like they're a bit TOO stiff. They're great in winter, all the snow and dirt just slide right down when you give it a gentle kick, and it tends to be self-cleaning as you're driving.

The only problem I have is when I've got the car loaded down with 4 people plus gear, the rear sags so much that the bottom of the flap scrapes against the bottoms of driveways when I back out.
This would happen with any flaps. It's called "self-trimming"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 274 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoshado View Post
This would happen with any flaps. It's called "self-trimming"
Heh. Sure, but if I had the softer material in the Rally Armors, I wouldn't hear the scraping sound. Made me look like a fool the first time I backed out with a full carload. "What the heck was that??"

post #11 of 274 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: X
Transmission: 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
Heh. Sure, but if I had the softer material in the Rally Armors, I wouldn't hear the scraping sound. Made me look like a fool the first time I backed out with a full carload. "What the heck was that??"
I quite lost it, imagining people saying that.

IMHO, Rally Armors look bad because they're shiny.

2008 Forester 2.5X 5MT Newport Blue
post #12 of 274 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 10:00 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: XT touring
I feel like all the mudflap topics on this forum get inundated with manufacturers trying to promote their product. It's kind of obnoxious and makes it hard to tell if someone genuinely likes the product or if they're trying to make a sale :P I think rally armour , gorilla, and rok blokz are probably all great products with mibor differences and I doubt you'll be disappointed in choosing any of them. I personally am looking for some that don't stick too far out of the side of the fender and I'm having a hard time figuring out which product is the best for me. Sometimes gorillas look like they stick out and sometimes they don't, same with the RB's. I dunno I'll figure it out. Flapatax is also an option but the forester part of the website is down and I emailed them asking some questions and no one answered so despite the great price ( I think like $50) i don't think I'll be buying them :/. Anyways thats my take on things, sorry if I didn't help ya at all ;P

post #13 of 274 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 05:01 AM
Contributing Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
I have the stock mudflaps on my 14 XT, which I have taken offroad in snow, dirt, and mud quite a few times and they seemed to do just fine with not much stuff really getting on the side of the car. I honestly don't think there's a need for bigger wider mudflaps with the stock wheels and tires for functionality purposes, but some people just like the look though I guess. I'm not really into it.
SFOR8552 likes this.

post #14 of 274 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Well, I emailed both RokBlokz and Gorilla to see if they had updates on when their 14+ fitment will be released. If it will be a while I'll probably just go with Rally Armor as they are available now. The dealer I got the XT from is actually listed as a dealer so I'm going there anyway to have a recall performed on my Legacy so I'll see if they can give me a good price on RA flaps and an 09 STI RSB.

2014 Forester XT Premium
2005 Outback XT 5MT
post #15 of 274 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11XTEvan View Post
I feel like all the mudflap topics on this forum get inundated with manufacturers trying to promote their product. It's kind of obnoxious and makes it hard to tell if someone genuinely likes the product or if they're trying to make a sale :P I think rally armour , gorilla, and rok blokz are probably all great products with mibor differences and I doubt you'll be disappointed in choosing any of them. I personally am looking for some that don't stick too far out of the side of the fender and I'm having a hard time figuring out which product is the best for me. Sometimes gorillas look like they stick out and sometimes they don't, same with the RB's. I dunno I'll figure it out. Flapatax is also an option but the forester part of the website is down and I emailed them asking some questions and no one answered so despite the great price ( I think like $50) i don't think I'll be buying them :/. Anyways thats my take on things, sorry if I didn't help ya at all ;P
Yeah, I think in the end it's just personal preference.

So my understanding is that Gorilla is some sort of reseller for Rok Blokz, since my Gorilla flaps came with instructions that referenced Rok Blokz :P

As we've just covered in the past few posts, Rally Armor flaps are much softer and floppier (and apparently shinier). My Gorilla flaps are essentially thin polyurethane cutting boards hanging behind my wheels. (And, indeed, people have made DIY mud flaps from IKEA cutting boards and the like.) They don't flop. They flex, a bit.

As to sticking out, they do a little bit. My user gallery has a photo of my Gorilla flaps installed. They stick out about an inch from the body. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. The other day I was backing into a parking spot beside the curb, and I was a bit too far to the side. The edge of the flap scraped against the curb and let me know what was happening before the wheels bumped anything. But, again, that noise made some heads turn, and made me look foolish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Utility and Protection

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode