Towing Capacity Confusion - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Towing and Hauling
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: XS
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Towing Capacity Confusion

Can someone provide correct information on trailer towing capacity?

My 2005 Forester XS (NA, not turbo) with 4EAT is rated to tow 2,400 lbs. Some say 2,000 lbs. Which is it?

From the "Forester 05 Owner's Manual", with Issue Date of April, 2004 and printed in USA, on page 8-27 states:

MT: When towing a trailer without brakes: Max Total Trailer Weight is 1,000 lbs

MT: When towing a trailer with brakes: 2,400 lbs

AT: When towing a trailer without brakes: 1,000 lbs

AT: When towing a trailer with brakes: 2,400 lbs

AT: When towing a trailer on a long uphill grade continuously for over 5 miles (8 km) with an outside temperature of 104 deg F (40 deg C) or above: 1,000 lbs

(Not quite a true quote because I didn't create a table as is shown in the manual, but all the data match.)

Why the reply on some threads that 2,000 lbs is the max?

Why do I care? My trailer weighs 2,040 lbs. I like the bit of extra capacity with the 2,400 lb number.

Thanks,
Ray
rlovinggood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: LL Bean (4EAT)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

The 2008 Forester brochure just says 2400 lbs across the board -- all models and all transmissions.
The 2008 Owners Manual on page 8-19 says 1,000 lbs without brakes or 2,400 lbs with brakes for both MT and AT. But for AT it reduces the capacity to 1,000 lbs if towing uphill for 5 miles over 104F.
vintage42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

It's 2400, but I believe the OEM subaru hitch is only rated for 2,000lb (class I?)
Old 12-19-2007, 05:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hoy

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester 2.5X Beanie
Default A lot of folks that tow opt for a transmission cooler.....

So if you are spliting hairs about these towing capacities IMO you need one. I just installed one on my Jeep Cherokee 4.0L /AT for about $45 and expect to tow about 3000 lbs with it. Heat build up is the big enemy for automatic transmissions, the cooler they run the better and the $45 expense is cheap compared to the cost of a new transmission.
Hoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Model: 2.5X Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey1002 View Post
It's 2400, but I believe the OEM subaru hitch is only rated for 2,000lb (class I?)
Nope. My OEM hitch has a sticker saying 2400 manual, 2000 auto, reflecting the capability of the car.

So hitch has to be a class II if it can support over 2000 lbs.
sulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

funkeymonkey,

The plot thickens.

My hitch, installed at the Subi dealer, has a sticker with the following info:

Hitch capacity (yea, hitch, not car) is:
Automatic Transmission: 2,000 lbs
Manual Transmission: 2,400 lbs

Tongue wt for Auto: 200 lbs
Tongue wt for Manual: 240 lbs

Now, if the car is "good" for 2,400 lbs, according to the Owner's Manual, what makes the hitch smart enough to figure out that the car has an auto tranny and is worth towing only 2,000 lbs?

Could it be that earlier versions of the Forester with auto tranny's were restricted to 2,000 lbs? And the sticker on this hitch was printed when that was the case?

As I stated on the title of this thread: Towing Capacity Confusion.

Ray
Old 12-19-2007, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 04's
Car Model: 2 FXT's.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 71 reviews

With my 04 auto FXT I pull my boat & gear at about 2200 pounds no problem at all.I have the subaru factory hitch.I do have a few mods,

Sti uppipe.
Maddadd turbo back.
Cobb stage2.

joe r
Old 12-19-2007, 09:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car Model: Forester

I've towed plenty of gliders but not with my Fozz although I'm sure it would be OK.. So what do you have in the box ?

(Aussie diamond #175)
Lert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: LL Bean (4EAT)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey1002 View Post
See:
http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2008_Subaru_Forester.htm
The Hidden, DrawTite and Curt hitches are all rated at 3500 lbs. The OEM hitch is identical in construction and powder coat finish to the Curt, and is apparently made by Curt.

The confusion may have been caused by this vendor's garbled and mis-punctuated description of the OEM hitch, which gives the hitch a different rating depending on the transmission!
"Heavy-duty-rated at 200 lbs. tongue weight, 2,000 lbs. Towing capacity for A/T, and 2,400 lbs. For M/T (ball not included: trailer brakes may be needed). 4-Pin Wiring harness is included."
http://subaru.dealerfit.com/store/su...od181_1348.php
vintage42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage42 View Post
See:
http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2008_Subaru_Forester.htm
The Hidden, DrawTite and Curt hitches are all rated at 3500 lbs. The OEM hitch is identical in construction and powder coat finish to the Curt, and is apparently made by Curt.

The confusion may have been caused by this vendor's garbled and mis-punctuated description of the OEM hitch, which gives the hitch a different rating depending on the transmission!
"Heavy-duty-rated at 200 lbs. tongue weight, 2,000 lbs. Towing capacity for A/T, and 2,400 lbs. For M/T (ball not included: trailer brakes may be needed). 4-Pin Wiring harness is included."
http://subaru.dealerfit.com/store/su...od181_1348.php
Interesting. Well with the AT if you are going to be towing near the limit definitly get the transmission cooler., The forester is the only car that can have an OEM hitch that I have ever seen without the option for a transmission cooler.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

I do plan on getting a transmission oil cooler installed.

What's in the box? It's an old LS1-c/d, s/n 29. I say c/d because it came out of the factory as a c model, and then, by edict, LS (the Flying Blind Company) said the model could now carry ballast water, the max gross weight was increased, the VNE was increased, and it could be called a "d" model. Nothing physically changed.

I haven't even completed Gold yet: still need to find a time to go to wave camp. Will probably try in a rental L-23 Super Blanik sometimes. They have O2 installed and I don't. They have all metal construction and you don't have to worry about damaging the gel coat. There's a place that hosts a wave camp about three hours west of where I live. But the wave is pretty ellusive.

As for the 500 km Diamond Distance, around here, some go to the Appalachian mountains and fly the ridges. New Castle, Virginia, is the closest location and there are a couple of "routine" runs there. But I'm a flat land flyer and getting down on the ridge scares the wee out of me.

The glider is The Glider flown by Helmut Reichmann when he won the 1970 World Gliding Championship in Marfa, Texas.

Ray Lovinggood
LS1-d
W8
Old 12-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car Model: Forester

Cool Ray.. Well thats an old bird but nothing wrong with that. My club sold two L-23's to the US (and I think to an outfit in North Carolina) about 5 or 6 years ago.. It would be a real coincidence if one of them is the one you refer to.. I'll PM you..
Lert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: & Jamboree Motorhome

Companys doing business in the US seem to under rate their stuff.. If you look up the same stuff in others countrys you will often find it is much higher.. Often causing us and those writing about them to not be sure.. So its easy to find different weights ect..

I have a 99 Forester w/manual trans.. I have a welder, Drill press ect at home.. A friend has a pile of hitches he got from a hitch shop that closed down.. So I went thru them and picked out enough stuff to build a copy of the Curt hitch.. Took about 4 hrs to build and install.. Works fine.. I have never seen a Subaru hitch but intresting to know it looks much the same as the Curt..

My Popup is 1500 to 1700 loaded.. Oregon leaves their weight stations on when the station is closed. And they have an outside readout so we just pull over and get a weight any time we want.. And my 6X9 utility trailer is about the same when loaded.. We use it to haul larger stuff but really never load it much.. Perhaps some plywood, shingles or other big stuff..

The Forester seems to pull fine.. Ours has the drum rear brakes but it seems to stop fine and we live in the highcountry so always up and down hill.

I do tend to pull long distances with our 06 VW Jetta Mark 5.. Both cars have about the same weight, HP, torque and both have manual tranmissions.. Except the VW makes max torque at 2700 RPM and has a lower first gear. We tend to have to burn the Subaru clutch a bit to get away with the higher low gear and have to wind it up more to get the power meaning more shifting.. But other than that both handle towing very well..

Snowdance

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

Last edited by snowdance38; 12-22-2007 at 05:53 AM.
snowdance38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Towing and Hauling