Removing a "Fuse" prior to "some" Towing-methods? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: VA - U.S.
Posts: 41
Car Year: 9806
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Auto
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Removing a "Fuse" prior to "some" Towing-methods?

Hey folks,

I recall the salesman from our first, original Subaru purchase almost 15 years ago, emphasizing something about "pulling a fuse" before certain types of towing, which in effect, would render the vehicle as a "2WD" (two/front-wheel drive).

Can anyone here speak to this, please?

Thanks in advance,
glenn . . .
富士重工業株式会社 = Fuji-Heavy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:49 AM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member
 
adc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Elizabethtown, Pa.
Posts: 11,375
Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Gallery: 98
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It electrically disengages the in the center differential from the rear axle. But I'm 99% positive its no use in towing the Forester with 2 wheels on the ground.

Be careful what you wish for.
adc is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member
 
bbottomley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New London, NH
Posts: 12,938
Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS Premium
Transmission: MT
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's inserting a fuse, and it only applies to driving later model AT Foresters with the donut spare.

There is discussion on pages 8-12 and 8-13 of the 1998 owners manual which says it's OK to tow a 1998 AT Forester with the front wheels off the ground, as long as the fluids are well topped up and there hasn't been failure of the transmission.
Towing with the front wheels raised off the ground (for AT vehicles
only)


1. Check the transmission and differential oil levels and add oil to bring it
to the upper level if necessary.
2. Release the parking brake and put the transmission in neutral.
3. The ignition switch should be in the “ACC” position while the vehicle
is being towed.
4. Take up slack in the towline slowly to prevent damage to the vehicle.

All this having been said, I don't ever recall anybody here having done this, and the general caution has always been to take things like this slow and easy.

2003 XS Premium MT >200k miles! ● 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS MT ● Robin-Subaru Powered Generator
bbottomley is online now  
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: VA - U.S.
Posts: 41
Car Year: 9806
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Auto
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
It electrically disengages the in the center differential from the rear axle. But I'm 99% positive its no use in towing the Forester with 2 wheels on the ground.
I think I understand you here (and thanks by the way), however, now I'm wondering what the "purpose" of it is...?

My question here is for "if", in the devastating event of "war" (or a blockade or whatever) in the Persian Gulf, hence, an almost "over-night" doubling of fuel prices, I'm trying to think of things I could do, to conserve fuel...and I'm thinking that 90% of the time, the AWD capabilities of my Subaru is not needed, and technically demanding more fuel than is necessary.

I know I know...it very well "may" be a "negligible" amount of usage or savings, but hey, at $6, $8 or more PER gal., every DROP would count.
富士重工業株式会社 = Fuji-Heavy is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: VA - U.S.
Posts: 41
Car Year: 9806
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Auto
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbottomley View Post
It's inserting a fuse, and it only applies to driving later model AT Foresters with the donut spare.

There is discussion on pages 8-12 and 8-13 of the 1998 owners manual which says it's OK to tow a 1998 AT Forester with the front wheels off the ground, as long as the fluids are well topped up and there hasn't been failure of the transmission.
Towing with the front wheels raised off the ground (for AT vehicles
only)


1. Check the transmission and differential oil levels and add oil to bring it
to the upper level if necessary.
2. Release the parking brake and put the transmission in neutral.
3. The ignition switch should be in the “ACC” position while the vehicle
is being towed.
4. Take up slack in the towline slowly to prevent damage to the vehicle.

All this having been said, I don't ever recall anybody here having done this, and the general caution has always been to take things like this slow and easy.
I appreciate your response here.

As to "slow and easy", that is exactly the reason I've brought it to the forum(s) ... and didn't just DIVE-IN...only to return here at some point, tail firmly wedged between legs, typing run-on sentences with the word "HELP" interjected at various points, all the while wiping tears off my keyboard...

Last edited by 富士重工業株式会社 = Fuji-Heavy; 01-04-2012 at 12:32 PM.
富士重工業株式会社 = Fuji-Heavy is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:50 PM
The Seventh Sister
Administrator
 
pleiad7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 27,326
Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 70
Garage
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 富士重工業株式会社 = Fuji-Heavy View Post
I think I understand you here (and thanks by the way), however, now I'm wondering what the "purpose" of it is...?

My question here is for "if", in the devastating event of "war" (or a blockade or whatever) in the Persian Gulf, hence, an almost "over-night" doubling of fuel prices, I'm trying to think of things I could do, to conserve fuel...and I'm thinking that 90% of the time, the AWD capabilities of my Subaru is not needed, and technically demanding more fuel than is necessary.

I know I know...it very well "may" be a "negligible" amount of usage or savings, but hey, at $6, $8 or more PER gal., every DROP would count.
Umm, no, the FWD feature is intended for temporary use with a spare tire and diagnostic purposes - not for ongoing use. Look here for more info: AT Forester - FWD mode FTW?

-Silke
04 FXT PP PSM ~ "Subed"
98 Forester S ~ "Slynki"
pleiad7 is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Forum Member
 
vintage42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 4,291
Car Year: 2008
Car Model: LL Bean (4EAT)
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
More on the purpose of the fuse:
New 2010 Forester 2.5X Premium owner from TN!

And more on use of the the fuse:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...ml#post1031350
vintage42 is online now  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: VA - U.S.
Posts: 41
Car Year: 9806
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Auto
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unfortunate. Thanks to all.
富士重工業株式会社 = Fuji-Heavy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome