How big of a Pop Up Camper? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Towing and Hauling
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Automatic
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default How big of a Pop Up Camper?

We are downsizing, I think I have my 28ft 5th Wheel sold and next is my Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab. We have been avid rver's for years. In years past we have camped 7-10 times per season, now with the kids getting older and busier, we just can't justify the truck and camper for a couple trips a year.
I have an 04 Forester X w/ 130,000 miles, debating putting a hitch on it and finding a used pop up for the occasional trip, we love camping so we don't totally want to give it up.
I would prefer a pop up w/ front storage compartment, this usually means a 10ft box plus, just curious if anyone is towing a pop up that large, I know that i can do 2400lbs, and will most definitly install trailer brakes and sway bar.
Thanks
Appbrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appbrookie View Post
We are downsizing, I think I have my 28ft 5th Wheel sold and next is my Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab. We have been avid rver's for years. In years past we have camped 7-10 times per season, now with the kids getting older and busier, we just can't justify the truck and camper for a couple trips a year.
I have an 04 Forester X w/ 130,000 miles, debating putting a hitch on it and finding a used pop up for the occasional trip, we love camping so we don't totally want to give it up.
I would prefer a pop up w/ front storage compartment, this usually means a 10ft box plus, just curious if anyone is towing a pop up that large, I know that i can do 2400lbs, and will most definitly install trailer brakes and sway bar.
Thanks
I'm towing a 2011 Viking 2107 tent trailer. It's a 10ft box, but no extra storage. Look at the label on the side of the trailer to find its actual configured weight.

Mine weighs 1701lb as configured. Add a couple hundred pounds of cargo and I'm still well under the limit.

No problems towing with my 2010 Forester.

Tyler
northern_techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester X Prem AWP
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Exclamation

Quote:
...I know that i can do 2400lbs...
Check Section 8 in your owner's manual. The "official" limit for an AT-equipped '04 X (non-turbo) towing a trailer with brakes is 2,000 lbs.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Old 09-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester X Auto

I used to tow a 2108 Starcraft tent trailer with mine. Was the 10 ft box and weighed about 1600 lbs. It had trailer brakes on it from the factory.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: X

I've towed to different popup's with my Forester, the larger one was close to 2000lbs loaded and the forester did it, it lugged going up hills but made it on trips without issue. My current trailer is a 13ft scamp, loaded it's about 1000lbs and I barely notice it back there.
Toyman321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: ?
Car Model: ?
Transmission: ?
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appbrookie View Post
Thanks
Did you end up selling your 5er and TV? I'm in my second year of RVing and I am looking for another TV. Sadly, thinking of letting the Forester go.

Michael
DeclansDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Towing and Hauling