Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

03 forester tow capacity. Have seen different numbers and would like to know for sure

12K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  TMX 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I just bought a 'Draw-Tite 36311 Class II Frame Hitch off amazon to put onto my new subie and it tells me it has a 3500lb capacity with a 300lb tongue max.

From what ive read with an automatic transmission the towing capacity is set to 2000/200 and more overseas.

What can i actually tow? Is the 3500lb capacity on that hitch just clever marketing or would i be able to tow that much with the 03 model?

I have an 18ft skiff with a 50hp outboard and single axle trailer that i would like to tow. I live up in Alaska so i dont have to worry about it being hot outside pretty much....ever. I think its gotten to 80 degrees once, but usually its around 50-70 degrees even in summer.

I tow about 15 miles from my house to the harbor and its relatively flat. Not a lot of ups and downs.

thanks guys.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think 3,500Lbs is likely what the hitch is rated for.

The towing weights are an interesting thing, since all Foresters are made in Japan, all based on the same system. The only difference is the engine and transmission...... In the UK, the XT with a manual gearbox is legally rated to tow 2,000 Kg = 4,409 Lbs. I believe the XT with the auto transmission is rated for the same. I would expect the Forester to tow even greater weights with no issue, since there's always a factor of safety in the figures too.

Do you have a turbo or N/A? If you have a turbo model with a transmission cooler, I'd expect you to be able to tow 3500Lbs fine - Now if we're talking legally in your state? I've no idea

If you have an N/A you might need to use Low Range on some tricky stuff but shouldn't be a big deal - That's assuming the USDM models got low range in their N/A's too.

#5 ·
If your total weight is 1800Lbs, including the trailer itself, you should be absolutely fine with towing it. Does the trailer have it's own brakes? if you're relying on the car's brakes to slow it, you should be fine.

Towing capacity is not always determined my the manufacturer based on transmission, coolers and the like. It also depends on brakes. Many European models get heavier brakes ( I don't know for Subaru) which also allows for more towing capacity.

And then there is that little issue of liability. United states, with its hyper litigious culture, is a tough place for manufacturers. One way to reduce your exposure is to under rate your product. Gives you a larger margin of error and if your product fails, you have a better chance that the user was actually "over loading" the product, thus absolving you, the manufacturer, of all liability.
Under UK (probably from the EU) regs, the heaviest a car can tow unbraked- meaning the trailer does not have it's own brakes is 750Kg = 1453Lbs. But only if the vehicle manufacturer agrees with this too. Obviously some smaller vehicles can't tow anywhere near as much unbraked

I think you're probably right about manufacturers under rating their towing weights in the US due to liability, as I understand the Australian towing weights for the forester are much higher than the US limits too

#4 ·
1800 lbs should not be a problem, unless the tongue weight is excessive. Got a decent bathroom scale? You can usually measure tongue weight that way. But don't put the scale under the jack -- it has to be under the ball. A short length of 4x4 works.

Or if you know that you can physically lift the tongue yourself, then its probably under 300 lbs unless you are Paul Bunyon, Saskwatch or the like!!

Towing capacity is not always determined my the manufacturer based on transmission, coolers and the like. It also depends on brakes. Many European models get heavier brakes ( I don't know for Subaru) which also allows for more towing capacity.

And then there is that little issue of liability. United states, with its hyper litigious culture, is a tough place for manufacturers. One way to reduce your exposure is to under rate your product. Gives you a larger margin of error and if your product fails, you have a better chance that the user was actually "over loading" the product, thus absolving you, the manufacturer, of all liability.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.