Thedaego's Sleeper Foz - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester 2.5XT
Thedaego's Sleeper Foz

*update* 06/01/2010
Grinding issue was resolved by draining the Motul Gear 300 oil from the tranny and replacing it with 3 parts Redline Lightweght Shockproof gear oil amd 1 part Motul 300. Shifts are all buttery smooth at the highest RPMs and quickest shifts.

----------------------------------------------------
*update* 05/29/2010

We're all tuned and the only thing that really comes to mind is ... wow. My FXT is now a completely different car. See the dyno below. (This is on a 'conservative' tune)

Jorge said there is still plenty of room for power left in the turbo. His initial estimate (given a stronger transmission) was somewhere around 360 HP. Jorge, Rick and JJ all stressed the fragility of the transmission. I believe I see a 6 speed in my future.

The gearbox currently grinds shifting from 3rd to 4th at anything over 3k RPM. I'm guessing this is a syncro issue, but I wonder how long I can drive it like that until it finally gives... Any ideas?

----------------------------------------------------
I've recently graduated from a pro-tuned Stage 2 and figured it was time to document my car's changes here on the forum. This thread will also give me a place to run my mouth about my car because my friends and family are definitely tired of listening to me.

My Forester is a manual transmission 2007 XT. I bought it in January 2007 after getting sick of trundling through snow with my (automatic) 1999 Camaro Z28. The stock FXT was more fun to drive than the Z28 by such a wide margin that I was sure I would never find the urge for more power. Then I went for a ride in a friends STi ... boy was I wrong.

My first modification was a Cobb Accessport with the OTS Stage 1 map; An insignificant increase in power but smoother acceleration. I knew that significant power gains were just a couple of pipes and a tune away.

Enter the Cobb Turbo back Exhaust. (down pipe+catback). I both purchased the exhaust and had it installed by IAG performance in Westminster, MD. They are nice guys to work with and did a great job. After the installation I flashed the ECU to the OTS Stage 2 map; BIG difference. Stage 2 was a very significant increase in power but acceleration was sloppy. At wide open Throttle I could feel the boost hit then dive, then hit again. My understanding was that this was boost creep and could be remedied with a proper tune. Along with that tune would come more power. Yes, please.

I signed up for a pro-tune session at IAG who brings in Jorge from P&L. Jorge did a great job. After the tune my FXT felt like a completely different car. Here's the dyno after Jorge performed my requested 'conservative' tune:

I drove the car with only the TBE and custom tune for about a year. in April this year I decided it was time for more juice.

Blouche had recently announced their new line of 'XT' turbos with 'billet wheel' technology (I have a vague idea of what this means, but the description sounded good to me ) and was selling them at a new introductory price on the NASIOC forums. I PM-ed Blouche and had a TD05H-18G-XT shipped to my house in the next few days. That damned box stared me in my face every morning as I came downstairs to go to work for a month until last week.

Along with the turbo I had the following modifications installed/performed at IAG:
  • SPEARCO TOP MOUNT INTERCOOLER
  • DEATSCH WERKS TOP FEED INJECTORS 750CC
  • WALBRO FUEL PUMP 255LPH
  • GRIMMSPEED Subaru Boost Solenoid
  • TGV Deletes (by IAG Performance )
  • GRIMMSPEED Phenolic Thermal Spacer 3mm
  • P&L MOTORSPORTS HighFLO Intake
  • SAMCO SPORT INDUCTION HOSE
  • BC RACING BR TYPE COILOVER
  • PERRIN SUBFRAME, REAR DIFF LOCKDOWN SYSTEM
  • STi Lateral Link Set
  • Whiteline 22mm Rear Sway Bar
  • Kartboy Rear End links
  • KARTBOY SHORT SHIFT
  • KARTBOY SHIFTER BUSHINGS
  • KARTBOY SHIFTER BUSHINGS REAR
  • KILLER B MOTORSPORT ULTIMATE OIL PICKUP
  • SPT ENGINE MOUNTS

P&L Intake:

Shot of the engine bay after install (yes, I know the engine cover is hideous. It will be removed)

Sway Bar

End Links

I wanted to get rid of the bucking and diving the car exhibited during acceleration and braking so I chose to go with the BC Racing Coilovers. The coilovers, along with the Rear Sway bar and lateral link set had a profound effect on the car's body roll when turning. My FXT is much more responsive and has almost zero body roll when cornering. It is also significantly lower.

(I couldn't get far enough away for a full side body shot. Maybe I'll give the car a cleaning and take a few more pics tomorrow)

Try to ignore the Shield Shades. It was 90+ degrees that day!
Also, I'm looking for a larger scoop. Not anything huge. I want the whole car to stay ... subtle. If anyone knows of anybody getting rid of one that would fit my 07 FXT, let me know. :)

I haven been driving the car since Tuesday (05/25) with a 'limp map' from Jorge. It's been very aggravating to know that everything is installed and yet I cannot utilize the car's true power until it is tuned this saturday (05/29).

I'll post again after the car has been tuned on the 29th!

Last edited by thedaego; 06-01-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: XT
you need better links so we can see this beast of yours

hope to see you in person this weekend

500hp Journal
big wheels and big brakes soon
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnyd View Post
you need better links so we can see this beast of yours

hope to see you in person this weekend
Damn... Epic picture fail. Should be fixed.

Still waiting on my time slot for Saturday. I guess they have people switching around last minute.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Forum Member

damn dude looks great. you need more scoop though. and gotta lose the plastic engine cover

500hp Journal
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2005 XTi
Transmission: 6speed!!
yea let us know how your foz does with the 18G... mine is street tuned and runs like a beast with the 18G, but has not been on a dyno yet.....
looking good so far!

...and i know all about family and co-workers not wanting to hear anything else about my cars

05FXT 18G, EWG, 6mt, WI M@ tune
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
damn dude looks great. you need more scoop though. and gotta lose the plastic engine cover
Here's a big dumb question; Does that ugly plastic engine cover serve any purpose? Any negative effect to removing it? Like too much heat transferring to the hood and discoloring the paint?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 13
Car Model: BRZ Limited
Transmission: 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedaego View Post
Here's a big dumb question; Does that ugly plastic engine cover serve any purpose? Any negative effect to removing it? Like too much heat transferring to the hood and discoloring the paint?
No issues. The earlier XTs didn't have it. It's purely aesthetic. Also, the only bigger hood scoop that is subtle is an 02-03 WRX STI (v7?) scoop. JDM only.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 05:49 AM
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns

Car Model: XT Sport
Transmission: 5MT
Garage
Quote:
The plastic engine cover keeps things more "sleeper". The track tech inspection guys never even know I've changed anything because the first thing they see is that engine cover... and nothing but OEM Subaru parts.

clean the engine cover at least.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 07
Car Model: fxt
nice. your car is gonna rip. i have similar mods but with a evo3 16g and hit 312/330 on the dyno yesterday at 18psi tapering to 15
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderotomy View Post
The plastic engine cover keeps things more "sleeper". The track tech inspection guys never even know I've changed anything because the first thing they see is that engine cover... and nothing but OEM Subaru parts.

clean the engine cover at least.
I can't wait to see what the track tech insepction guys has to say aboiut my engine bay

500hp Journal
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

So i just won n auction for what I hope is theright size scoop for my car:
02-03 JDM STi Style Hood Scoop Subaru Impreza WRX Large: eBay Motors (item 200478227423 end time May-31-10 18:14:52 PDT)

Anyone know a good place to get this paint matched in Maryland?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Grinding issue from 3rd to 4th has been solved for now. I replaced the existing Motul 300 gear oil with redline lightweight shockproof and now the gearbox is buttery smooth.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Forum Member

graph looks great
300 ft/lb of torque by 3500 rpms is awesome. not sure how 22psi is conservative though

500hp Journal

Last edited by Vinnyd; 06-01-2010 at 01:23 PM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
graph looks great
300 ft/lb of torque by 3500 rpms is awesome. not sure how 22psi is conservative though
Yeah, by conservative I think he limited the boost to come in only at 3/4 and more throttle levels. He also said that he could have gotten much more out of it but didn't want to push it with the stock gearbox.

And regarding my gearbox, I can't say enough good things about the redline lightweight shockproof. The nasty awful grinding I was getting from 3rd to 4th is completely eliminated even at the highest RPMs.

Just an image of draining the Motul Gear 300 from the tranny before installing the smurf blood:
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: XT - 5MT
Transmission: ELH, EWG, E85, Kinugawa TD06SL 20G 8cm
What happened to him?, my future mod plans and current issues with trans are in sync with his. I wanted so bad to know if the redline really helped the nasty 3/4th grinding and how he lilkes the 18G-XT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Member Gallery > Members' Journals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.