||07-13-2012 04:39 PM
thebeephaha's Foresters: 2003 "Cross Sports XTi" & 1999 L
I started out here in December 2009 with with my now old disorganized and lengthy journal
on my 2003 Forester X in Sierra Gold with 63k miles. I purchased the car fresh out of high school in 2006. Now at roughly 93k miles it is time to close that and start a over as my Forester (now dubbed the "Honey Badger" by my girlfriend) is entering an entirely new stage of it's life. I will get to that in a moment!
Click here for '03 Journal
I picked up a 1999 Forester L earlier this week (July 2012) in Canyon Red Pearl with 142k miles on the clock in a sad state of disarray. Found it on Craigslist with the owner asking $2000 for transmission and head gasket problems. I took it for a test drive and found that the car took ages to go into D and the car was running on just springs, the shocks were entirely blown. To add to it all, it has a classic external head gasket leak. It was an east coast car so rust is a plenty on the underside but the interior and the exterior were very clean for the age. I offered $1500 for it and took it home! This car will be primarily a spare, wintermobile, and a daily commuter for my girlfriend. She has named this car the "Red Panda".
Click here for '99 Journal
Below I will break down the details into two sections for each of the cars.
Thank you for looking!
||07-13-2012 04:39 PM
Details on my 2003 "Cross Sports XTi" Supercharged Forester 2.5X in Sierra Gold aka the Honey Badger
New mods to come soon...
New engine build list...
- Rear differential 4.44 VLSD
Mods I have done, broken down into categories, scroll past for pictures:
- 2005 EJ255 short block from an Outback XT
- Manley forged high compression pistons
- 2006 EJ253 AVLS heads with AVLS deleted
- EJ251 non AVLS cam rockers
- EJ251 Delta 1500 cams
- ARP head studs
- ACL race main and rod bearings
- 2004 WRX steering wheel & red Momo airbag
- 2002 WRX Black & Blue leather seats (heated but are not connected currently)
- Forester XT black leather rear seats
- Forester XT black leather arm rests
- Forester XT black carpet
- Dashboard pod (dual din, replaced stock storage compartment & clock, contains head unit)
- Second storage pod (single din, added above the stock pod to fill removed stock head unit)
- Gauge cluster upgrade trim
- Forester XS/XT interior chrome door handles
- Plasti Dip'd center dash
- Subtle Solutions Hazard Button Overlay
- Plasti Dip'd 2005 JDM RHD STI center console
- JDM RHD STI ebrake
- Suede red and black ebrake boot
- Plasti Dip'd 2005 STI M/T shift trim
- Zero Sports 6spd M/T shift boot
- Subaru Momo aluminum AT shift knob with 4" custom extension
- Subaru All Weather Floor Mat coaster cup holder mod
- Plasti Dip'd over head console
- Plasti Dip'd custom made triple 60mm A pillar gauge pod
- Plasti Dip'd passenger A pillar to match
- Plasti Dip'd Forester XS/XT metal Forester logo door sills
- JDM STI AT Brake and Gas pedals (STI "cherry blossom" rubber inserts)
- Prosport aluminum dead pedal (black rubber inserts)
- "Costco" all weather floor mats
- Rear seat & side cargo nets
- Removed rear 5th seat middle seat belt mechanism
- Sound deadened rear hatch, rear quarter headliner, rear doors, and under rear seat with memory foam
- Cut notch in driver sun visor to fit around my custom A pillar gauge pod and reupholstered sun visors black (Thanks to amazing girlfriend, Amanda!)
Wheels (ever changing it seems)
- Window tinting (35% front two, 20% rear sides & back)
- JDM Forester Cross Sports "Sporty Grille" w/ vents
- JDM Golden "F" Badge P/N 91053FC090 w/ Bracket P/N 91053FC030 on grille
- JDM Forester Cross Sports bumper with the factory option Crossfire lip and fog light kit. Plasti Dip'd w/ matching lightweight JDM bumper beam (ditched the Styrofoam impact absorber, useless weight IMO)
- JDM Forester STI headlight surround extensions
- Importology eyelids Plasti Dip'd
- Carr Lightwing mounted upside down with custom aluminum mounting bracket
- Forester XT hood vinyl wrapped matte black by GuardLine
- 04-05 replica STI fiberglass hood scoop in Sierra Gold w/ custom mesh grille
- Subaru Forester XT bug guard
- Roof vinyl wrapped matte black by GuardLine
- Rear gate trim vinyl wrapped matte black by GuardLine
- C pillar vinyl wrapped matte black by GuardLine
- FRONT Forester XS/XT mud guards Plasti Dip'd
- REAR Rally Armor mud flaps with grey text
- Rear spoiler
- Aftermarket rear gate handle bar (used to mount LED reverse lights)
- Aftermarket rear step plate
- Aftermarket rain visors
- Stock aero crossbars
- Rage Powersports 38-1/2" Summit Roof Basket & Wind Fairing
- SPT valve stem caps set
- AWD badge PlastiDip'd black put in place to cover the holes left behind from stock rear Forester badge
- XTI vinyl on rear below the AWD badge
- Supercharged carbon fiber emblem
- "Carbon fiber" license plate frames
Suspension / Brakes
- Linea Sport BE5 18x7.5 +52 Forged only 16.8lbs wrapped in Nitto Extreme ZR NT555 225/40/18 -- Thinking about running 25mm spacers...
- Spare: Subaru donut spare to fit foam storage tray
- Full size spare: Unique Wheel Series 83 17x7 5x100/115 et38 black steel wheel w/ Goodyear Eagle GT 225/50/17
Performance / Exhaust
- 04' STI Steering Rack
- Whiteline steering rack bushings
- JDM 06-07 STI caster adding control arms (caster at +4.5*L/+4.6*R)
- Whiteline BSF10 22mm NA Forester front sway w/ Whiteline bushings
- Whiteline BSR37Z 22mm 04-07 STI rear adjustable sway w/ Whiteline bushings set to HARD
- Whiteline 22mm aluminum lateral lock kit on the rear sway, got tired of the rear sway traveling
- STI rear sway mounts
- STI aluminum lateral links
- Front and rear Perrin STI end links
- Swift Sport Springs
- KYB GR-2 Struts
- Subtle 1/4" Saggy Butt Spacers
- eBay Impreza front strut bar
- eBay Impreza rear strut bar
- Subtle Solutions trunk brace
- Front Stoptech slotted rotors
- Rear drum brake to disk brake swap
- Rear Legacy "H6" upgrade, "H6" brackets & generic Duralast rotors
- Hawk HPS pads all around
- Perrin master cylinder brace
- Whiteline subframe locking bolts
- Camber bolts (unknown model)
- Perfect Power SMT6 piggyback ECU w/ Link 2.5 bar MAP sensor
- Raptor V Supercharger kit, 7.5PSI pulley
- AVO high flow bar and plate top mount intercooler w/integrated 5th fuel injector*
- *Bosch Injector - P/N 0280150036 rated at 485cc/min at 3bar (43.5psi) of fuel pressure with a resistance of 2.4ohms
- Custom aluminum piping and silicone hoses from Intercooler Pipe Fabrication - Silicone Intake Systems Auto Parts
- Weapon R 710-110-110 Secret Weapon air filter inside the passenger fender
- HKS SSQV 2 (P/N G176) blow off valve with triple-fin insert
- Walbro GSS342 255Lph fuel pump
- Semi-parallel fuel raid modification
- NGK BKR7EIX-11 Iridium IX spark plugs (1 heat range colder than stock)
- RalliTEK blue spark plug wires
- Custom oil relocation kit with Icore stainless AN-8 oil lines
- Ford style Wix 51515 over sized filter
- Dual catch can setup
- Perrin 1.2LB lightweight aluminum crank pulley
- IxizPstop aluminum pitch stop mount
- RalliTEK hard 4EAT transmission mount insert
- Replica Borla headers (TopSpeed Pro-1 Version III stainless) wrapped in DEI Titanium wrap
- Tsudo stainless 200 cell high flow cat with Tsudo O2 spacer
- Prodrive oval tip Forester XT specific axle back welded to the stock mid pipe
Lighting / Electrical
- Gimmick Motorsports hood dampers
- SPT oil filler cap V2 in blue
- SPT battery tie down V1 in blue
- Subtle Solutions radiator shroud in red
Audio / Video / Gauges
- Morimoto H1 5.0 Bi-Xenon HID retrofit w/ XB35 4300k bulbs, Morimoto 5Five Ballasts, E46-R extended shrouds, aftermarket BMW E46 CCFL Halos
- Removed parking lamp lenses from housings
- LED 6000k SMD parking lamp bulbs
- LED 3000k CREE projector + SMD turn signal bulbs
- Chromed halogen corner side marker bulbs tied into turn signal circuit
- Clear corner mod (removed orange side reflectors)
- 08 sport black tail lights with all SMD led bulbs
- Fog and spot lights have separate relays and switchs
- Catz Zeta 00 halogen "ballasts" (boosts and regulates voltage) for fog and spot lights
- Yellow H3 bulbs in fogs
- Hella Black Magic 500 spot lights mounted to Carr Lightwing
- CF-13 electronic turn signal flasher relay
- 3rd brake light "FORESTER" logo vinyl mask, SMD LEDs w/ "Mr. Brakesafe" momentary brake light flasher
- Dual 18w (3w x 6) CREE LED rear reverse lights, mounted on rear hatch bar
- 5000k SMD LEDs interior lights (map, dome, cargo)
- 6000k SMD LEDs for rear license plate lamps
- Forester XS/XT ignition key illuminated ring, tied into dome circuit, red Sharpied bulb
- Hella Supertones modded with gold SickSpeed Blast Horn front halves
- Hella solid state relay for Supertones
- Maniac Motors 140 amp alternator
- Optima Red Top 35 battery 8020-164
- XScorpion battery terminals
- Paranoid Fabrications "The Big Three" & "RS2.5 Lucid Grounding kit"
- Monster Cable 150 amp fuse between alternator and battery
- OE security system upgrade
- Fake alarm dash mounted blinking red LED
- Map light shroud removal mod
- Red cold cathode foot well lighting
- Defroster auto AC ON delete
- Eclipse AVN4430 w/ removable TomTom navigation
- Eclipse iPC-409 iPod cable
- Eclipse AUX105 RCA AUX input cable
- 120GB Apple iPod Classic
- Alpine PDX-5 (5-channel amplifier installed under driver seat)
- DB Link PK4Z 4 gauge amp wire kit
- Stinger 20ft 9 conductor Speedwire (4 speakers + remote wire)
- HOSA 6.6ft 8 RCA connector snake cable (6 speaker audio channels, rear video out, rear backup camera)
- MTX dual enclosure with two 12" Road Thunder subwoofers
- AudioControl OVERDRIVE 2 Channel Line Driver (using to boost the low line output of the pre-fader on my head unit to my amp for the sub channel)
- Absolute RSW250 Amplifier Controller RCA to RCA (easy volume control for my sub connected to the above line driver)
- Subaru Tweeter Kit
- HERTZ "Special Car Audio by Elettromedia" ECX 165 6.5" fronts
- Dayton ND140 5.25" mid bass rears
- Sea-Scooby front and rear spacers with XTC foam baffles
- Gauge cluster PRND321 color mod, P & N are white, RD321 are red
- Gauge cluster LCD polerizer inversion w/ red LED bulbs
- Gauge cluster red LEDs for all gauges plus turn signal, and cruise. Blue LED for high beam indicator.
- ScanGauge II w/ LCD polerizer inversion w/ red back light setting
- Clock LCD polerizer inversion w/ red bulb
- ProSport amber/white series gauges: oil temp, oil pressure (T'd into front oil galley), vacuum/boost - installed in custom A pillar pod
- AEM UEGO wideband O2 air/fuel gauge - installed in custom ashtray gauge bezel, using AEM no weld bung for 2.25"-2.5" - installed right before front O2 sensor on my Stromung hi flow cat
- Escort Passport 8500 x50 Red radar detector with SuperCup mount and stealth cable install through the passenger A pillar
- eBay reverse camera with eBay adapter to make it work with my proprietary Eclipse camera connector
- STI key
- STI "Muffler Towel" STSG12100410
See some additional pics below, this car is ever changing.
Mostly current pics:
From 2006 to 2013:
That's all for now!
||07-13-2012 04:39 PM
Details on "my" (in reality my girlfriend owns it) 1999 Forester L in Canyon Red Pearl aka the Red Panda
Currently I have a small list of things I need to fix:
- Head gaskets eventually when I HAVE to, it will overheat if not taken care of as it eats coolant and oil at a decent pace. There is also some heavy piston slap / rod knock on cold starts that mostly goes away once warmed up.
This car doesn't hardly have any major mods yet but this will change! Scroll past for pictures:
Performance / Exhaust
- Custom short ram intake attached to stock torque box
- Group A throttle body spacer
- Replica Borla Headers, non stainless
- '03 stock catalytic converter
- NGK BKR6E-11 V-Power spark plugs
- $30 SMP SG712 Front O2 sensor from eBay turned out to be a Denso and works great!
- $50 "Martins Mass Air Flow Sensor" from eBay to replace the stock 22794AA000 MAF sensor and works great!
Suspension / Brakes
- MB Motorsports Boost 17x7 et48 Gunmetal with 25mm spacers for a et23 final offset, for winter we are running some 215/55R17 Dean Wintercat XT tires
- 16" full size spare steelie from my '03 w/ Yokohama Geolander 215/60/16
Lighting / Electrical
- '03 Forester stock struts and springs
- '05 STI tophats front and rear, these were supposed to go on my '03 but I needed them on short notice for the '99
- '03 stock rear sway bar (almost 25% thicker than the stock 1999 RSB)
- '03 stock rear knuckle/hub/bearing/drums
- O'Reilly BrakeBest Select (96658RGS) front brake rotors
- O'Reilly BrakeBest Select (C721) ceramic front brake pads
- Unknown brand front strut bar
Audio / Video / Gauges
- Panasonic battery
- '03 alternator
- Fog lights tinted yellow
- Hella Optilux 2500 w/ 100w yellow bulbs, mounted on crossbars for off road flood lighting.
- Dual OE horns, added an extra stock horn off my '03
- Rear hatch dome converted to 6000k LED
- 6000k CREE LED projector reverse bulbs
- Kenwood KDC248U w/ 80GB iPod Classic
- Unknown model 6.5" Sony front speakers
- Crunch PowerZone P500.2 amp mounted under the driver seat
- Polk Audio db1040 subwoofer in a generic slim box in rear
- '03 steering wheel and airbag
- Subaru all weather floor mats in front
- Stock dead pedal from my '03
- Chrome license plate frames with tinted covers
- Spoiler (being painted then will mount)
- Subaru Aero roof rails with Thule Universal Flat Top ski/snowboard racks
- Red anodized aluminum valve stem caps
After a bath here it is!
Yellow fogs, a must have:
Assessing the worn and damaged suspension to repair:
This is the Forester as soon as we got it home. Seen in the picture is the proud owner of the vehicle, my wonderful girlfriend Amanda.
||07-13-2012 05:14 PM
BEHOLD! My RAPTOR SUPERCHARGER build!
- Raptor Supercharger, Impreza GC Series EJ20 Kit pulled from Forester_007's build, sold to me from phrostbyte, scheduled to arrive on the 23rd of July (UPDATE, SC arrived early July 16th!) Raptor supercharger unit, 2 SC pulleys @ 6psi & 7.5psi, SC bracket, SC air cooling unit.
- Engine management undecided at this time
- Custom intake piping
- Raptor Stage II air cooling unit for the SC.
||07-13-2012 05:55 PM
lets see those boosts on there
I just did wheels on my 98 in the same color, check my journal for pics
||07-16-2012 12:08 AM
Haha, you're in my neck of the woods man! The White STi with Teal wheels belongs to a good friend of mine :lol:
||07-24-2012 01:06 AM
Not such a fan of the extra reverse lights...they just look out of place, especially with them being hose clamped on and all. Otherwise it's pretty sick, especially with the headlights.
||08-09-2012 01:20 PM
Glad to see the supercharger in good hands :)! Can't wait to see what you do with it.
||08-09-2012 08:56 PM
I'm curious as well....
||08-10-2012 12:03 PM
I always loved those wheels and the P1's as well.
||08-13-2012 02:47 AM
Well... this happened:
My girlfriend was driving home behind me the other night from downtown Seattle, there was a huge bump in the road only a block from our house from some road work being done, my car went over it fine, but when hers went over, the wheel went flying off after a loud bang. 4 of the 5 lug nuts look like they vibrated clean off, the 5th the lug bolt itself sheered off.
I had to get the car out of the road so I just drove it half a block to a gravel lot, rear knuckle and drum sending sparks everywhere. We left it overnight then the next day I came back and put a spare on the 4 remaining lugs and limped it another half block home. It took an hour to clean up the threads enough to get some lug nuts back on it...
My thoughts are, I know when I put the wheels on her car I checked and did about 75ftlbs per lug nut. Apparently the car had been making funny noises and wasn't driving straight on the highway before the incident happened my girlfriend told me and I have now concluded that she must have gotten a flat and she didn't fully realize it (she thought it was the bad CV joint that we are already aware of gave way) and driving on it like that vibrated 4 of the lug nuts loose then the last lug just snapped clean off with the wheel.
We never did find the wheel by the way, searched for hours around the area...
Fortunately no one was hurt and the damage to the car is minimal and I was already planning to replace all of the suspension components anyways.
Now to call Discount Tire and see if they can source me a single replacement wheel.
||08-13-2012 04:11 PM
What the.....holy hell man, I'm sorry, that blows....
||08-20-2012 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by k3nj11
What the.....holy hell man, I'm sorry, that blows....
About 20 hours of intense labor the past few days and this is all the rusted broken crap pulled off the car:
The entire resulting mess in my garage:
The stock shocks were so bad, I compressed them by hand and they stayed that way and never came back out. The car was literally riding on just the springs. The top hats had the rubber cracked all around the center too. Also from the rust on the car the dust shields on the front brakes cracked and fell off when I was taking the caliper off to do the brakes...
I was able to install "new" used stock shocks/springs taken from my '03, used STI strut mounts (these were intended to go on my '03 but needed them for the repairs), thicker stock rear sway bar from my '03, rear drums/hub/wheel bearings from my '03, and brand new front brake rotors/ceramic pads from O'rilleys.
Next up alignment tomorrow and then the stock exhaust from my '03 and a new CV axle for the front right wheel, all of the grease leaked out and it's clicking badly.
Also on a good note. Discount Tire was able to locate me one replacement wheel for $130 shipped half way across the country for the one lost in the accident and I found an almost perfect matched tire on craigslist for a mere $65. I should get these mounted in the next few days. Right now, rockin' the full size 16" spare and Yokohama tire from my 03'.
I'm dead tired... but this $1500 car is turning into a great learning experience and an awesome daily driver for with little money out of pocket for repairs despite losing a wheel. Well worth the purchase.
||08-20-2012 03:13 AM
Wow that's crazy. Glad you're getting things fixed.
I'm guessing someone else found your wheel for you and took it.
||09-01-2012 12:10 AM
Just did the Legacy "H6" rear brake upgrade on my Forester. "H6" brackets, Duralast rotors, Hawk HPS WRX pads, and of course I was able to keep my stock calipers.
I have to say, this was well worth the $150. Nose dive is dramatically reduced under hard braking and the car feels more stable overall while braking. I've not noticed any change in feel while braking around corners but I'll have to test that out some more.
Bottom line, I highly recommend this upgrade, it is stupid easy to do as well.
Autozone part list for 2000 Legacy Outback H6:
Caliper bracket: 14-1605
Duralast rotor: 31273
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0