Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Superacerc's Garage/Journal

('09-'13) 
309K views 3K replies 94 participants last post by  Superacerc 
#1 · (Edited)
Accomplishments so far:

Engine Mods:
-stage 2 built block from awdtuning, dallas tx.
+JE Pistons
+heat treated nitride coated crank
+manly H beam rods
+acr race bearings
-Cobb UNcatted DP (rallysportdirect.com)
-grimmspeed ceramic uppipe (rallysportdirect.com)
-Tuned via Rom Raider myself
-PTP turbo blanket (PTP in austin)
-lava heat wrap on Down pipe in engine bay. (PTP in austin)
-GFB Hybrid Blow off/bypass valve (rallysportdirect.com)
-Walboro 255lph fuel pump (rallysportdirect.com)
-GRIMMSPEED manual boost controller www.grimmspeed.com
-back to stock TD04
-Top Mount intercooler process west style (Fast motorsports) (turbotektuning.com)
-1000cc BOSCH injectors (turbotektuning.com)
-Grimmspeed Lightweight pulley (Grimmspeed.com)
-1 step colder NGK plugs (ray@turbotektuning.com)
-back to stock header
-2015 Sti Sedan Catback
-AEM Cold air intake
-Perrin turbo inlet
-2 Oil Catch Cans
-Deleted BPV return line back to intake.
-wrx engine mounts
-QTP Electric Exhaust Cutout

Suspension mods:

-22mm Whiteline front swaybar (rallysportdirect.com)
-22mm Whiteline rear swaybar (rallysportdirect.com)
-kartboy aluminium endlinks (rallysportdirect.com)
-Anderson Design Fabrication 2" lift with trailing arm extensions.

Drivetrain mods:

-6 speed sti transmission
-DCCD pro controller
-limited slip r180 rear diff
-sti axles
-sti driveshafts
-clutchmasters 6 puck fx400 clutch
-kartboy shifter bushing
-kartboy short throw shifter
-turn in concepts shifter linkage bushing.
-Drive Shaft Shop 08+STI Aluminum Driveshaft (58 inches)
- killer b delrin matte shift knob

Comfort/Utility mods:

-BFG TA KO2 IN 265 65 16
-Insulated Car with RAAMAT and Ensolyte (RAAMAT.com)
-Rubber Undercoated the entire underside with 3M Rubberized Undercoating (Autozone)
-Tinted front windows to match rear factory tint (Solar Shade Humble, tx)
-JVC Head Unit (SF.org member)
-Sylvania silverstar ultra lowbeams
-THULE Sidekick rooftop carrier(amazon.com)
-53" crossbars(amazon.com)
-gorilla offroad mudflaps (gorillaoffroad.com)

Supporting Mods:
-aem uego wideband O2 kit and gauge
-prosport sti style boost gauge
-smy gauge cluster
-wrx gauges(ebay)

Style/look mods:
-lamin-x gunsmoke rear tail tint (lamin-x.com)
-SPARCO Terra Corsa 16"
-Sports Grille

Brakes:
-Stoptech Street Performance Pads (rallysportdirect.com)

See less See more
#196 ·
I will airboy dyno it. Maybe when all is finished ill try and put it on a real dyno.

I just used sticker and label remover spray and let it soak in a bit and pulled off the letters. Then soaked it again and pulled off little bits at a time and repeat till it was done.

#197 ·
So I tried my hand at tuning a bit this weekend. Ray let me have a crack at making some small changes like cutting down the boost by changing the waste gate duty cycle. I even managed to screw that up. There's two main waste gate values on the map. The high and low value. i thought I was doing great by changing it myself when boost was still a bit high. I forgot to change the low down at the same time and it ended up higher than the high value. the foz was confused at what to do and threw a CEL.

I also made some compensations for barometric pressure since it changes so easily here in houston. Neither the cobb maps or my custom maps used the wastegate duty compensation function for changes in pressure. They were basically just turned off for lack of a better phrase. Thats why I was getting the CEL codes a while back with the other turbo. I was pushing it close to its set points and just the change in atmospheric pressure was enough to sound the limit alarm. Seems to be working good now.

I'm learning a little bit as I go. It's kinda fun.

#198 ·
Ok, so the above reason for the cel was only partly true. The main reason for the CEL code was that we forgot to set the boost cut higher than 16psi. That's fixed now. I also had a chance to dial in the Barometric pressure compensations a bit more since we had a low pressure system on us today. Ray added in some timing and fuel in my high spool areas and she's running super smooth. I did a few datalogs tonight and everything is doing well.

I've dialed in the boost well enough that I'm less than half a psi off my Boost Target when spooled up. That's way better than my Cobb or previous custom tune was doing they were usually 1 or 2 psi off on avg.

Now I can't wait to start upping the numbers. I did one 0-60 run tonight and I'm 1-2/10ths a sec faster than I was on the previous turbo and tune. We aren't trying for full power or anything yet. Just trying to dial everything in to perfection while waiting on my intercooler. I can't believe it's still not here.

#200 ·
It was always my plan to take it to the track. I didn't before because it was getting hotter out and is miserable to be out on an evening full of mosquitos and 92° weather(yes that's with the sun down already). And frankly, even though it was quick before it wasn't spectacular. I'll definitely be tracking it once everything is running smooth. I've got no more CEL issues now and it's pulling super hard to redline(still only at 17psi).

Taking a step back and realizing how much more peppy it feels now and that i've still got 80-100whp more to get out of it before we're done tuning, I can't even imagine how fast it's going to be. I'm very eager to find out though. Has anyone seen my intercooler? I want it now!!!

#203 ·
Yeah thats how i ended up getting the topmount i have now. When i ordered the fms from import image racing they kept back ordering it and then offered me the ipr at the same price but it was in stock. If i could have done it over again i would not of settled and just waited for the fms.

#204 ·
Ill wait. I'm used to it. Ray says we are going to tune it right now for 18psi. When the intercooler comes we'll bump it up to 19-20. Its running well so far.

On another note, the new tranny for my truck came in yesterday. They're installing it now and if everything works, i'll go watch them dyno and tune it after lunch tomorrow. Can't wait for that! Its been waiting on this transmission for 2 weeks.

#205 ·
Just ordered an AEM Wideband O2 kit from ray. That'll help out with the final tuning. Easier to see fuel mixtures under 11.1 where the stock unit craps out. Just got another revision from RAY as well. Every tune I get is even more awesome than the last. Can't wait to give it the beans tonight in my datalogging process.

#206 · (Edited)
Also ordered an SMY cluster to go around my speedo/tach gauge cluster. It's the same on Rescuer bought. I emailed the guy who runs the place about mine being a forester and he said the 09+ forester is exactly the same as the 08+wrx cluster so you just have to order that and it's good. I also ordered a Prosport boost gauge to go in there along with the AEM AFR gauge mentioned above.

I'm glad I've got a few new projects to work on next week.

Here's the gauge. It glows amber at night:

The AEM AFR Gauge:

And the Gauge Bezel:

An update on the 66 Ford: It's transmission is in and should be dyno'd and tuned today. I'll try and get some video/pics.

#207 ·
Is the wide band O2 sensor going in the pre-installed location in the Cobb DP or do you plan to have a O2 bung welded on the DP?

I've read mixed reviews on having the O2 sensor that close to the turbo that the heat could prematurely wear out the sensor.

SH owners are lucky when it comes to having the gauge pod in the instrument cluster bezel. I'm stuck with mounting them on the steering column... *shakes fist*

#208 ·
Yeah im going to put it there in the prefabbed spot. I dont care if it wears out prematurely. its mostly for tuning purposes only. Might take it out eventually once everything is set and confirmed to be holding well and put a pyrometer/exhaust gas temp gauge in that bung instead.

#210 ·
I'd be curious to see what you think as well. When I went stage II, I had that done at the same time, but with the DP and tune it was already such a big difference I cant be sure. I felt like it idled a little better though to say the least.

#212 ·
Toying around with an infrared laser thermometer today I decided to check some things out under the hood around my exhaust. My downpipe with basic exhaust wrap right behind tbe turbo was 475°F. The turbo where my blanket is wad only 250°. I might try and order an exhaust wrap similar to tbe turbo blanket and eliminate a couple hundred degrees down there.

#214 ·
It's a huge difference. I think I can score some good used heat blankets from work. We pull them off barge generators all the time for having a piece ripped or something and throw them away. They are way bigger than I'd need so I could probably cut it to fit and wrap and tie it with bailing wire. I'll check it out tomorrow. They are way better quality than the PTP blanket too. The outside layer temperature of these blankets while running a generator is less than 90 deg.

#215 ·
Look at these huge exhaust wraps! They were going to throw them away. This is heavy duty industrial/marine grade stuff that should restrict almost all heat in the engine compartment from the exhaust. I'm going to leave my turbo blanket on there and put this stuff around my downpipe. If it amazes me completely and far outperforms the PTP blanket I'll make a custom turbo wrap out of it as well.

If you had to buy this stuff it'd probably cost you around $1500 for this quantity.

#217 ·
That had to be the easiest install I've done in a while. It only took me 30 mins. I just popped out the bung plug in the Cobb downpipe and screwed in the sensor. Then ran the cord into a wire boot in the firewall and up behind the radio and down to the back side of the steering wheel. Then I wired the power wires into the radio Red and Black wires. I haven't messed with the Datalog wire yet cause I've got nothing to use it with.

Here's some photos:

Screwed in Sensor:

Wire ran through rubber boot:

Gauge sitting here untill my gauge pod comes in. No, it's actually reading 14.3 but my shutter speed is quick enough to catch the numbers mid cycle.

I also got some giant tin shears from Lowes today to cut up the Exhaust blankets. I cut along an edge and then sewed up the open end with bailing wire. Now i'll cut a slit in the blanket to put the Sensor through and wrap some bailing wire around it to hold it in place. I had to take a short intermission to watch the kids so I'll get back to this in a bit with installed pictures.

#218 ·
Ok, so here's the finished Exhaust wrap:

When i checked it it was about 350 deg where it used to be 475 about 1 inch behind the flange to the turbo. Beyond that it was about 220 or less. My intercooler temp was at 120. It's 81 degrees outside. It's definitely helping.

The AFR gauge is working nicely. I can now see what my AFR is below 11.5 accurately. I'm running way rich now so time to lean things out a smidge.

#220 ·
Heck yeah, I love quality cheap stuff.

I wish I knew. But the good thing is I'm back to tuning again now that I have the meter. The intercooler will only make a slight difference in the tune as long as it doesn't blow the tanks off. We'll go to 18-19psi with this intercooler, and bump it up to 19-20 when the new one comes. The rest of the tune will be pretty similar to the what we can get with this intercooler. I've got a tune coming in a few minutes. I was at 10.0 AFR which is the bottom of the AEM gauge so I'm nice and rich for the moment. Ray is about to lean it out some and make a few other changes.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.