Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Superacerc's Garage/Journal

('09-'13) 
309K views 3K replies 94 participants last post by  Superacerc 
#1 · (Edited)
Accomplishments so far:

Engine Mods:
-stage 2 built block from awdtuning, dallas tx.
+JE Pistons
+heat treated nitride coated crank
+manly H beam rods
+acr race bearings
-Cobb UNcatted DP (rallysportdirect.com)
-grimmspeed ceramic uppipe (rallysportdirect.com)
-Tuned via Rom Raider myself
-PTP turbo blanket (PTP in austin)
-lava heat wrap on Down pipe in engine bay. (PTP in austin)
-GFB Hybrid Blow off/bypass valve (rallysportdirect.com)
-Walboro 255lph fuel pump (rallysportdirect.com)
-GRIMMSPEED manual boost controller www.grimmspeed.com
-back to stock TD04
-Top Mount intercooler process west style (Fast motorsports) (turbotektuning.com)
-1000cc BOSCH injectors (turbotektuning.com)
-Grimmspeed Lightweight pulley (Grimmspeed.com)
-1 step colder NGK plugs (ray@turbotektuning.com)
-back to stock header
-2015 Sti Sedan Catback
-AEM Cold air intake
-Perrin turbo inlet
-2 Oil Catch Cans
-Deleted BPV return line back to intake.
-wrx engine mounts
-QTP Electric Exhaust Cutout

Suspension mods:

-22mm Whiteline front swaybar (rallysportdirect.com)
-22mm Whiteline rear swaybar (rallysportdirect.com)
-kartboy aluminium endlinks (rallysportdirect.com)
-Anderson Design Fabrication 2" lift with trailing arm extensions.

Drivetrain mods:

-6 speed sti transmission
-DCCD pro controller
-limited slip r180 rear diff
-sti axles
-sti driveshafts
-clutchmasters 6 puck fx400 clutch
-kartboy shifter bushing
-kartboy short throw shifter
-turn in concepts shifter linkage bushing.
-Drive Shaft Shop 08+STI Aluminum Driveshaft (58 inches)
- killer b delrin matte shift knob

Comfort/Utility mods:

-BFG TA KO2 IN 265 65 16
-Insulated Car with RAAMAT and Ensolyte (RAAMAT.com)
-Rubber Undercoated the entire underside with 3M Rubberized Undercoating (Autozone)
-Tinted front windows to match rear factory tint (Solar Shade Humble, tx)
-JVC Head Unit (SF.org member)
-Sylvania silverstar ultra lowbeams
-THULE Sidekick rooftop carrier(amazon.com)
-53" crossbars(amazon.com)
-gorilla offroad mudflaps (gorillaoffroad.com)

Supporting Mods:
-aem uego wideband O2 kit and gauge
-prosport sti style boost gauge
-smy gauge cluster
-wrx gauges(ebay)

Style/look mods:
-lamin-x gunsmoke rear tail tint (lamin-x.com)
-SPARCO Terra Corsa 16"
-Sports Grille

Brakes:
-Stoptech Street Performance Pads (rallysportdirect.com)

See less See more
#137 ·
Well my plans moved forward quite a bit.

I've ordered the fast motorsports(process west cheapy). It's on backorder for two weeks but it'll take me that long to get everything ready and shipped here.
also ordered the 1000cc bosch injectors
Found someone with the turbo I'm looking for for $350. Came out of a legacy that went rotated. No shaft play and has all connections.

That's all folks. Just got to wait for it to come in the mail. Can't wait to try it out.

Ray is going to start on my base tune in the next week or so.

#140 ·
Well today's F100 adventure included popping out the distributor to send it to mr scharfenberger and then installing some carpet that arrived on friday. ive traded distributors with someone from a big block fordforum so ill have one with a vacuum advance so it should be here wednesday along with an eldebrock Performer intake. I realized that the rpm air gap model I was using was damaging my low end throttle response and torque so im switching it out. Then on thursday or friday it will be dyno'd at the local shop and the carb will get tuned to smooth out the power nicely and make sure the air fuel mixtures are correct.

The carpet came from www.stockinteriors.com. It was premolded and fit great! It took me about 2 hours to pull out the seat(with the help of my beautiful wife) and custom trim it to fit inside around the gear shifter, seatbelts, accelerator and highbeam switch. It's not absolutely perfect but pretty dang good I think.

Have a look:

Better pics:

Grainy ones without the seat in:

#142 ·
Theres a member in here with 350hp and a completely stock exhaust. Mines less restrictive than the regular oem unit cause my midpipe is straight through 2.5" with no resonator unit. I bet it flows very similar to your unit with the resonator. Maybe a tad worse. I'd rather be silent and a smidge slower than noisy.

#143 ·
my muffler is a strait through design and so is my resonator i had to even go catless to get the most out of my setup and eventually with a intake. Every tuner i have talked to says the biggest restriction for flow is the the downpipe, catback and intake in that order. But taking out your resonator is a good start and either way your setup will be awsome.

#144 ·
I'm sure she'll do alright.

finished up and threw a distributor back in the 66 ford.

For those of you thinking about a walboro fuel pump, stop, save your money, buy the deatchworks. Ill make a thread explaining why.

#145 ·
Look what came in the mail today! Not bad for $350. No shaft play at all. I'm going to use my oil lines and such cause these are a little rough. Supposed to have about 15k miles on it.
You can also see my EBCS from Grimmspeed in the back there that came in today.

#150 ·
Thanks. Yep. I went a bit overboard on the stereo. It's a 1000 watt amp, a capacitor and 2 shallow pioneer 12" subs in truck boxes. They're used to be a gas tank back there but I figured i'd rather have it under the bed so I figured I could use the space for the subs. I have them at 1 step above attenuated and the LPF on to keep them from driving me nutz. It's cool sounding from the outside though. Just not sitting in there with them turned up. It's deafening. Does give a good massage though.

#151 ·
Here's a quick video of my truck idling. You can hear the fuel pump more than anything it seems. Listening on good pc speakers would sound better.

I had just started it before leaving work and figured I'd take a video sample just for the heck of it.

#154 ·
#156 ·
Not hard. Took about 30 mins. You just need a set of flat nosed pliers to twist the wire tight. The hardest thing was just threading the wire around the turbo's backside and catching it in the front to wrap around the buttons.

My heat shield didnt even work with the new down pipe so I didn't even attempt it. You dont need it anyway unless youre just trying to keep a stock look. You can touch the turbo blanket while in operation and it won't be enough heat to burn you. Pretty much eliminates the touching hazard altogether.

#158 ·
I think nate has that one. I dont know about the grimspeed one fitting with the blanket. If it were me i'd just do the blanket. it functions much better than the heat shield will. I'm sure both would be even better but hardly necessary.

#163 ·
I really like what you've done with your XT! I'll probably follow in your footsteps in regards to the turbo upgrade. I'm trying to compile a list of everything I will need for the upgrade..

BNR 18G (need to send in a core VF40)
1000cc Bosch fuel injectors
Deatchwerks fuel pump (255 lph)
Cobb catted DP
TMIC (what kind of TMIC would I need to be safe??)
GFB Hybrid BOV
11+ STi exhaust
GRIMMSPEED 3 port EBCS
Tune

Reading through your journal this is what I've come up with. If you could verify or correct anything that would be awesome. Also, if you have any additional suggestions or input I'd appreciate it. I won't be upgrading for at least a few years but I'd like to have a pretty good idea of what to do when the time comes. Thanks so much!

#164 · (Edited)
I really like what you've done with your XT! I'll probably follow in your footsteps in regards to the turbo upgrade. I'm trying to compile a list of everything I will need for the upgrade..

answers in bold

BNR 18G (need to send in a core VF40)

1000cc Bosch fuel injectors (there are other options but these seem to be right for the price. I've never seen them advertised in a regular site. My tuner sells them the other best option according to my tuner is the Injector Dynamics models but you need a wiring adapter with it)

Deatchwerks fuel pump (255 lph)
absolutely the best option for us

Cobb catted DP
(The CNT is cheaper and practically identical. Uncatted versions work as well and have more promise for power but won't work if you do emissions checks)

TMIC (what kind of TMIC would I need to be safe??)
(Anything aftermarket will work. Can be front mount too but then you have to do some custom pipe fitting. The thing that makes the difference is the "end tanks". Go out and pull off that plastic cover off your engine. Look at each end of the intercooler and notice it's plastic and clipped to the metal part. Those will blow up with too much excess pressure and volume. You just need any model that fits and has solid metal all the way around instead of plastic.)

GFB Hybrid BOV (This one works great but turbosmart makes a cheaper one that doesn't do atmospheric blow off)

11+ STi exhaust
(don't actually need this, I just got it for the sound. It was too loud for my tastes and I took it off. I did remove my resonator though which eliminates a lot of resistance and didn't really cost me much. It also added the boxer sound back to my engine without making it loud. If you wanted to go with E85 on this setup you'd want to have a better flowing exhaust though)

GRIMMSPEED 3 port EBCS

Tune(most important part!!)
Hope that helps out some. I gave you the cheaper options as well.

#166 · (Edited)
Here's an update Nate:

I took off my injector guards. Those useless pieces of metal that serve only to obstruct easy injector swap outs!

The injectors are in the mail and will probably be here on monday or tuesday. For those of you who don't know. Those pieces of metal in the photo above are the hardest part to take out in an injector swap and can be thrown out once you take them off. They took 4 hours for me to remove. To take off the driver side one you have to take out the battery, tgv motor, intercooler, air pump, wiring, hoses and have to blind search for some of the bolts hidden in the engine compartment. The passenger side requires you to remove the whole intake system and the coolant overflow from the turbo. After you get them off the injectors can be seen and gotten to pretty easily.

When they come in next week i'll be putting on the turbo injectors, and boost control selonoid. Ray is going to send me my base tune and i'll run on that for a little while untill the backordered intercooler gets here.

Update complete.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.