Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Superacerc's Garage/Journal

('09-'13) 
309K views 3K replies 94 participants last post by  Superacerc 
#1 · (Edited)
Accomplishments so far:

Engine Mods:
-stage 2 built block from awdtuning, dallas tx.
+JE Pistons
+heat treated nitride coated crank
+manly H beam rods
+acr race bearings
-Cobb UNcatted DP (rallysportdirect.com)
-grimmspeed ceramic uppipe (rallysportdirect.com)
-Tuned via Rom Raider myself
-PTP turbo blanket (PTP in austin)
-lava heat wrap on Down pipe in engine bay. (PTP in austin)
-GFB Hybrid Blow off/bypass valve (rallysportdirect.com)
-Walboro 255lph fuel pump (rallysportdirect.com)
-GRIMMSPEED manual boost controller www.grimmspeed.com
-back to stock TD04
-Top Mount intercooler process west style (Fast motorsports) (turbotektuning.com)
-1000cc BOSCH injectors (turbotektuning.com)
-Grimmspeed Lightweight pulley (Grimmspeed.com)
-1 step colder NGK plugs (ray@turbotektuning.com)
-back to stock header
-2015 Sti Sedan Catback
-AEM Cold air intake
-Perrin turbo inlet
-2 Oil Catch Cans
-Deleted BPV return line back to intake.
-wrx engine mounts
-QTP Electric Exhaust Cutout

Suspension mods:

-22mm Whiteline front swaybar (rallysportdirect.com)
-22mm Whiteline rear swaybar (rallysportdirect.com)
-kartboy aluminium endlinks (rallysportdirect.com)
-Anderson Design Fabrication 2" lift with trailing arm extensions.

Drivetrain mods:

-6 speed sti transmission
-DCCD pro controller
-limited slip r180 rear diff
-sti axles
-sti driveshafts
-clutchmasters 6 puck fx400 clutch
-kartboy shifter bushing
-kartboy short throw shifter
-turn in concepts shifter linkage bushing.
-Drive Shaft Shop 08+STI Aluminum Driveshaft (58 inches)
- killer b delrin matte shift knob

Comfort/Utility mods:

-BFG TA KO2 IN 265 65 16
-Insulated Car with RAAMAT and Ensolyte (RAAMAT.com)
-Rubber Undercoated the entire underside with 3M Rubberized Undercoating (Autozone)
-Tinted front windows to match rear factory tint (Solar Shade Humble, tx)
-JVC Head Unit (SF.org member)
-Sylvania silverstar ultra lowbeams
-THULE Sidekick rooftop carrier(amazon.com)
-53" crossbars(amazon.com)
-gorilla offroad mudflaps (gorillaoffroad.com)

Supporting Mods:
-aem uego wideband O2 kit and gauge
-prosport sti style boost gauge
-smy gauge cluster
-wrx gauges(ebay)

Style/look mods:
-lamin-x gunsmoke rear tail tint (lamin-x.com)
-SPARCO Terra Corsa 16"
-Sports Grille

Brakes:
-Stoptech Street Performance Pads (rallysportdirect.com)

See less See more
#114 ·
Yes i neverliked the fitment of the walbro you have to smash it in there and crush the sock and make sure you double up on the o rings. I hated it so much i bought a new pump housing and the dw65c. I always had a problem with it bleeding the pressure and taking a while on cold sarts to build pressure. There are alot of write ups on the install and alot of people have good luck with it just take your time.

#118 ·
I got bored this morning and decided to do a bit of online shopping. Picked up a Go Faster Bits Hybrid BPV.

You can vary this hybrid valve from all internal to all atmospheric or anywhere inbetween. Should be fun and hold up to higher pressures when the new turbo arrives.
Looks pretty high quality and Marty and Moog seem to like it on the SH from Mighty Car mods.

#119 ·
Just got the f100 back. Power steering is working great the new gearing and limited slip locker is perfect! I can drift it around corners with a quick touch of throttle now and still get decent gas milage. Gotta enjoy 440ft-lbs in a truck the size of a ford ranger with nothing in the bed. Hehe...

#120 · (Edited)
Well, I put on the GFB Hybrid Response Valve today and did a few videos to show you guys what it sounds like. (I actually did another one sitting still before it rained but my wife hit the record button at the wrong time and didn't actually record anything. I'll do another one another day to show you what it sounds like sitting still.

This valve is so easy to adjust from full recirc to full atmospheric it rediculous. You just reach in and twist the head and boom it's on a different setting! I love it.

When you first install it you have to adjust the spring for how quick it releases with the provided Hex key/allen wrench. It's super easy. Just warm up the car and then hit the gas and let it come back to idle. If it drops below normal idle it needs to be tightened. I had to put mine down really far from the stock setting.

Videos:
The first one is on half recirc and half atmospheric which is where I'm gonig to leave it I think. At full atmospheric its really loud.

Video 2 is on full atmos:

Had to do this one in Photobucket cause Youtube didn't like it for some reason.
http://s1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc495/superacerc/?action=view&current=MVI_4846.mp4

#121 ·
I would leave it either 50/50 or full recirculate to be safe. If you go full atmosphire it can cause problems do to the maf being dependant on the air recirculated back into the intake and can cause stuttering and such i hear. But good job it sounds awsome and i will buy one if my bov mod doesnty work. Thanks for the vid

#122 ·
Yep, I left it 50/50. This one is so easily adjustable it doesn't stutter or anything at full atmo. The only thing it does is run rich for that split second it changes gears. With the automatic if you don't let off the gas it hardly even lets off the pressure. it doesn't make much sound at all if you shift up without letting off. I'm trying to get the full atmo video loaded but each time I try it gives me some kind of error. i'm trying one more time and calling it quits. It does sound good though. It's quiet when you drive smooth but will announce itself when pushed to give that civic SI a chance to think it over before he starts messing with you and keeps him from being embarrassed in front of his girlfriend from high school.. lol

#124 ·
I think the video I did on the full atmospheric was a little crappier. It was hard to hold on to the camera, wheel, and gear shifter at the same time. It sounds pretty good either way but it's really showy loud to have it fully open. It's still loud half way open enough that anyone near by will turn their head and say really!?

In fact on the way to work this morning there was a guy in a BMW 530 who kept standing on it from light to light. I was going normal speed and he flew by me so I got behind him at the next light and decided to play keep up for a bit. Since he wasn't in the turbo I6 535 I didn't even have to try extra hard to keep up and he didn't bother trying to be showy anymore like he was before. I think it partly had to do with the nasty psssht coming from my car every time I had to let up on the gas to keep from getting too close. It's quite an intimidating sound. I never got in front of him. Just testing out my keep up skills.

When driving the car it hardly ever does a quick dump since it's an automatic unless I'm running hard on the throttle and let go quickly. It's partly the auto doing that and partly to do with the turbo running out in the top end so the engine is consuming that last bit of air before it opens. I bet the 18g will have a lot more to say in the excess air department. We'll see in about 2-3 months.....

#125 ·
Back to the F100 for a bit. The floor gets really warm once the engine comes up to temperature so I ordered some material similar to raamat but with thicker aluminum foil for heat reflection. I did the whole underside of the cab until half way up the firewall. What I had left over I put behind the seat on the rear of the cab and in the doors and utilised my left over ensolyte from the foz sound proofing. I think this should solve my heat problem and make it alot quieter inside. I'll drive it to work tomorrow and see how it did. If it still get's warmer than I prefer I might order another set and put it in the inside floor of the truck and try to put some other kind of mat down(don't want carpet, it'd have to be the rubberized vinyl floor like in work trucks).

On the mishap side of parts ordering, I ordered the wrong Speedometer gear to correct for my gear change so I ordered another that should be just right (I hope...).

And I ordered a set of traction bars that were for the right axle size but the wrong U bolt width. They were for the ford Car 3" axle and not the truck version. So I ordered a universal pair that should do it. I don't want to wrap up my axle by accident. Since I have to foot the bill for return shipping it back to jegs and they're really heavy I just put them on craigslist. Hopefully they'll go pretty quick.

Hope I didn't bore you with the off topic car news.

When my gas tank gets empty I'll be putting in the walboro 255 lph fuel pump. Probably the beginning of next week.

#126 · (Edited)
Ordered a GRIMMSPEED 3 port EBCS from Ray this evening. That's 1 more part crossed off the turbo upgrade list. Only 3 things left now: Intercooler, Injectors, and Turbo. The intercooler and injectors I'll be getting from ray for about $800 total and the Turbo from BNR supercars so It fits the stock intercooler setup. The injectors will be 1000cc BOSCH units that ray has that are identical to the Injector Dynamics ones except they are plug and play withouth the ID adapter.

Then Ray's going to give me 2 tunes, 1 economical tune that lets the waste-gate run without interference from the boost control solenoid(9psi) and one all out every day power tune. Figures it should be in the mid-high 12s range with 93 octane. Can't wait!

#127 ·
I've got a donor vf40 coming next week. It'll probably be sent off to bnr next month in exchange for a new 18g. Puts me ahead of my november deadline. Ill probably get everything else and the tune done then as well.

I need it done before november anyway cause we're planning on driving back to ga in late november early december. I wanna get some miles on the turbo for reliability testing before setting off on a trip with all new parts.

#128 ·
So EBCS, injectors, fuel pump, intercooler, turbo, and tune is all you need for the 18G? Roughly what's this running you? I'm curious as im up in the air with a VF48 or something aftermarket like a 18G. Also I apolgize if you've covered this in your journal or another post, but any reason you're going with BNR over other brands?

#129 ·
You could get away with no ebcs but it becomes a vulnerable part so might as well do it at the same time, same goes for the by pass valve on the tmic. got this from ray for $103.

With bnr you get a stock connection setup which I like. Any stock or aftermarket tmic will fit same as oem. with other brands you have to go with a different hose setup(this may be more an issue for me with my year l
model.)

The other thing I like is the price, they want a core charge for you to buy a turbo(vf40only). You can pick up blown ones for $50-100 due to large numbers of faulty oil lines on legacys. If I were to go blouch 18g im looking at a minimum of $1200 and a custom intercooler fit(more $). With a nearly identical unit from bnr and a core charge ill be out the door for $775+$90core from nasioc.

Sadly, they really dont have anything extra cheap for your year. I'd probably go with blouch if I were you. If you dont need an intercooler though its close to the same final price(see below).

I'm picking up an intercooler from ray for about $400. I dont have to absolutely have one but at 19-20psi I run the risk of blowing my endtanks, which is common(if you have an sti intercooler for your year you dont really have to change it out I dont think).

Injectors will be from ray for about $400. Need at least 750cc to push the turbo on 93. Im getting 1000cc to be e85 capable.

Fuel pump from walboro was $85.

New tune is obvious and you know that price.

so total is $1848 plus tune from ray.
To do this on my vw gli started around $4000 up to $6000.

Hope that helps.

#131 · (Edited)
Its findable but rare. Ill be moving next year, most likely to juneau and im not sure if they have it either. Ill stick to 93 untill I move somewhere where its available. Im sure ill enjoy it.

Edit: just looked it up and there are no e85 stations in juneau.

#132 ·
That sucks you should order e98 by the 55gal drum and mix it your self my friend does that to get constant results all year round. Im kidding (not really,do it) as its very expensive. I want to thank you for putting the additional word out about ray he tells me how nice my forester guys are and how much he appreciates the buisness you guys give him. I tried to get vendor status here like he has on nasioc,iwsti and unysoc but it hasnt worked out yet.

#133 ·
It seems pretty natural that his name and buisiness comes up because people ask what and where I get stuff. Everytime I talk to ray to tell him my plans he tells me that hes got the same parts cheaper than I can find elsewhere. Its hard to pass up when im buying the parts anyway. The cheapest I could find the ebcs was $115-120. Ray's got it for $103 shipped.

Ray reccomends injector dynamics based injectors, but they require a plug in adapter. It just so happens he sells bosch units that are identcal in build but require no adapter for about 100 less than IDs + the adapters and $150 less than DWs.

The intercooler you recommended cause of the good fitment and its the cheapest well fitting one I can find.

his tune price undercuts my houston tuning shop by $300! Thats a no brainer.

I also really like the customer service. Hes a great guy and super reliable.

#134 ·
Yeah he does have the best prices on parts thats for sure he didnt have the other bosch injectors available when i did my build so he got me the id1000. He runs the new bosch injectors on his evo only in 2000cc and because they are high impedence like the id's they idle like stock even on the 2000cc.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.